Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   MBV considering reunion at Coachella '08 (billboard.com report) (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=15884)

StevOK 08.28.2007 10:22 PM

MBV considering reunion at Coachella '08 (billboard.com report)

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/..._id=1003631489

Report: My Bloody Valentine Mulling Coachella Reunion
August 27, 2007, 12:30 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
Seminal U.K. shoegazer act My Bloody Valentine is considering an offer to reunite and co-headline the 2008 Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival. A tour would follow later in the year, according to a report on the Daily Swarm.

(more in the link)

It's mostly just rumors, but the new MySpace page is confirmed to be official.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 08.28.2007 10:48 PM

I don't believe anything I hear about MBV anymore.

pbradley 08.28.2007 10:56 PM

The sarcastic "I heard they're going to record a new album" joke isn't even funny in the slightest anymore.

nomowish 08.29.2007 12:46 AM

Why would someone lie like that? Aren't they aware of how sensitive MBV fans are?

When I first heard the news I was so excited. I danced.

k-krack 08.29.2007 12:59 AM

I'm not going to hold my breath. But if it happens... I'm going to see them no doubt... unless they don't come to Canada... so... I guess there's some doubt...

atsonicpark 08.29.2007 05:40 AM

I don't see why this wouldn't happen eventually. It's not like anyone died. I mean, did MBV even have a falling out? Actually, isn't MBV still "Technically" together (I really don't recall them ever "Breaking up" persé)... after Slint and Pixies got back together, I'm really not surprised by this..

ZEROpumpkins 08.29.2007 07:59 AM

That's right, Loveless just costed too much and the label they were with almost went bankrupt. But everyone knows that.

MellySingsDoom 08.29.2007 08:41 AM

Oh, not this old chestnut again - it's turning into an anuual event, this.

king_buzzo 08.29.2007 09:09 AM

BULLshit...

Actually, kevins tour manager confirmed that he is remastering the albums & eps but said nothing of the reunion. So, it might be true and it might not.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 08.29.2007 09:16 AM

When did Slint get back together?

king_buzzo 08.29.2007 09:21 AM

Dude, they already toured and did Spiderland...

drrrtyboots 08.29.2007 09:45 AM

Kevin Shields COULD be my burnout grandpa with that scraggly look he's sporting or COULD melt my face off with ferocious MBV sound waves.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 08.29.2007 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by king_buzzo
Dude, they already toured and did Spiderland...

I guess so. . . and they are supposed to do a new album it looks like.

Well they didn't play anywhere near me so I can't hurt myself about it.

king_buzzo 08.29.2007 10:04 AM

they played in amsterdamn, i was really close to it, but a shellac gig over shadowed it and while i was thinking about shellac, slint had already played...

atsonicpark 08.29.2007 12:34 PM

yeah, slint reunited, broke up, sold all their shit, and reunited AGAIN. and this is the band who splintered off and some of the members joined popular bands (dude was in foo fighters!) and this is the band who had nervous breakdowns while recording spiderland.. so, them getting back together surprised me.. so, mbv getting back together.. i mean, i don't even think they "disbanded" to begin with, like i said, so i DO see it happening.

PAULYBEE2656 08.29.2007 03:38 PM

yeah mbv duringloveless was basically kevin solo. the band were in the background but seemingly deb goodge has no intrest whatsoever of playing with them. im sure kevin will sort out a band with colm and belinda, maybe even andy bell or someone to replace deb. how could you follow up loveless tho!

also how would you follow up spiderland, its gonna have to be a serious album.

king_buzzo 08.29.2007 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
how could you follow up loveless tho!

also how would you follow up spiderland, its gonna have to be a serious album.

youre right about both...

atsonicpark 08.29.2007 07:32 PM

don't quote me on this, but i downloaded an AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING slint bootleg during their first reunion tour.. i mean, it sounded unbelievable... soundboard but.. it sounds like whoever recorded it cleaned it up a bit afterwards.. cuz it just sounded unreal..

anyway, i never got around to burning it.. i think maybe it was a bit too long or something to fit on a cd-r maybe?.. i don't remember.. god i wish i had burnt that cd..

ANYWAY, if i recall, they had one new song on it.. i think they kept em instrumental (and yes I've heard everything they've done, including that little EP with the 2 instrumental songs, and that wasn't the song).. anyway, it was amazing.

thinking about the whole "math rock" genre, the only band who has really approached what slint did in a serious way was probably june of 44.. i mean, you see bands like rodan or don cab or somebody kind of having similiar dynamics, but i'm talking the spoken word vocals and unique guitar chording and tuning and whatnot, june of 44 probably had it..

but thinking harder about it, i realize that slint had something unbelievably unique even beyond i think what anyone has grasped already.. so much has been written about that album, but so much more could be written... the guitar playing/tone on that album is REALLY unique, i haven't heard anything like it before... the drummer should also get a cookie.

i think they could very easily write another amazing and compelling album.. though i have an odd feeling from that new song that'd it probably just be really really complex album.. which isn't really what slint is about to me (it's more about the dynamics and the mood moreso than the weird time signatures).. but either way, i'd welcome it..

am i the only one who really loves "Tweez"?

total-trash 08.29.2007 10:42 PM

i really hope that's true. also if they do tour, i will definetely want to see them if they come anywhere close to dc.

ZEROpumpkins 08.30.2007 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
don't quote me on this, but i downloaded an AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING slint bootleg during their first reunion tour.. i mean, it sounded unbelievable... soundboard but.. it sounds like whoever recorded it cleaned it up a bit afterwards.. cuz it just sounded unreal..

anyway, i never got around to burning it.. i think maybe it was a bit too long or something to fit on a cd-r maybe?.. i don't remember.. god i wish i had burnt that cd..

ANYWAY, if i recall, they had one new song on it.. i think they kept em instrumental (and yes I've heard everything they've done, including that little EP with the 2 instrumental songs, and that wasn't the song).. anyway, it was amazing.

thinking about the whole "math rock" genre, the only band who has really approached what slint did in a serious way was probably june of 44.. i mean, you see bands like rodan or don cab or somebody kind of having similiar dynamics, but i'm talking the spoken word vocals and unique guitar chording and tuning and whatnot, june of 44 probably had it..

but thinking harder about it, i realize that slint had something unbelievably unique even beyond i think what anyone has grasped already.. so much has been written about that album, but so much more could be written... the guitar playing/tone on that album is REALLY unique, i haven't heard anything like it before... the drummer should also get a cookie.

i think they could very easily write another amazing and compelling album.. though i have an odd feeling from that new song that'd it probably just be really really complex album.. which isn't really what slint is about to me (it's more about the dynamics and the mood moreso than the weird time signatures).. but either way, i'd welcome it..

am i the only one who really loves "Tweez"?

Please post the show!
And yes, Tweez is awesome.