Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café V (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=112934)

guest 04.02.2016 05:49 AM

could you do me a favour and re-articulate your argument and post in here when you cycle back around to realise how fucking idiotic you are? chookas.

louder 04.02.2016 06:06 AM

Sorry but I don't really care enough to do so. Plus you can't shitpost then expect not to get shitted on. ;)

guest 04.02.2016 06:12 AM

okay can I just ask a really quick question -- how is it not racist to compare kool keith to lou reed, but it is racist to compare kanye west to kid rock...?

Severian 04.02.2016 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
Right. And the way he stated that absurd opinion as a fact is even more concerning. From what I've gathered, guest compared him to Kid Rock because Kanye claimed to be the greatest living "rockstar" during Yeezus era, which guest found laughable because he's a white guy who grew up on rock music and feels like he owns the genre. Which is ridiculous in itself because rock actually started by black people.

If we're being real, Yeezus is closer to a rockstar album than most actual rock stars this decade, in terms of aesthetic, messaging and sound.. the whole album rollout, you know? The energy and the spirit were there.

Kanye may come across as weird, ridiculous and even completely delusional at times, but don't forget that people used to laugh at him when he said he's gonna start his own solo rap career and become more than just a producer. Kanye's confidence is the only reason he got this far.

Yep. His absolute refusal to give in or change anything about himself just to please people is really the one thing that sets him apart from everyone else. It's part of the reason why he's still relevant. A lot of rappers just fizzle out whe they try to keep up, or meet expectations. Kanye doesn't give a fuck about what people think, clearly, and that's why we've been blessed with no "return to form" albums (also known as desperate pleas for relevance), and pretty much nothing but new and exciting shit. Even though you don't particularly dig TLOP, at least it's not the same old shit.

Severian 04.02.2016 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guest
jesus fucking christ......backtrack a couple of pages to where the comment originally was and you were all circle jerking over kanye equating him to various rock stars. comparison drawn between him and lou reed but it's pretty obvious he's in no respects comparable to lou reed so I posited that he was closer to fucking kid rock whereas keith occupies the lou reed role, despite obvious differences.

Yeah, that wasn't louder who was making the comparisons. It was me and SFAD.

noisereductions 04.02.2016 12:27 PM

ok sev, as I promised - once Ye made this shit available to me I'd listen to it. And I'm glad I waited until the release drama was over and I could just enjoy it.

so my take? tl;dr = this is awesome.

On first listen I'm pretty sure I like it more than Yeezus, Cruel Summer and Watch The Throne. To say this another way - I think this is his best album since Dark Twisted. Which is saying a lot.

I loved Yeezus but it was ugly. Don't get me wrong, I loved the ugly. But so much if this is beautiful, soulful, dark. "Ultralight Beams" is a brilliant way to start the album. Gorgeous. "Feedback" is crazy. "Low Lights/High Lights" is a great little suite. I had heard him do "I Love Kanye" in that SNL skit but had no idea it was acapella on the album. I love that. "FML" and "Real Friends" are just classic self-deprecation and honest Kanye. I love when he does this self-aware stuff. "30 Hours" and "No More Parties" too.

Yeah man, this has definite AOTY possibility written all over it for me. Though the year is young of course.

Severian 04.02.2016 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
ok sev, as I promised - once Ye made this shit available to me I'd listen to it. And I'm glad I waited until the release drama was over and I could just enjoy it.

so my take? tl;dr = this is awesome.

On first listen I'm pretty sure I like it more than Yeezus, Cruel Summer and Watch The Throne. To say this another way - I think this is his best album since Dark Twisted. Which is saying a lot.

I loved Yeezus but it was ugly. Don't get me wrong, I loved the ugly. But so much if this is beautiful, soulful, dark. "Ultralight Beams" is a brilliant way to start the album. Gorgeous. "Feedback" is crazy. "Low Lights/High Lights" is a great little suite. I had heard him do "I Love Kanye" in that SNL skit but had no idea it was acapella on the album. I love that. "FML" and "Real Friends" are just classic self-deprecation and honest Kanye. I love when he does this self-aware stuff. "30 Hours" and "No More Parties" too.

Yeah man, this has definite AOTY possibility written all over it for me. Though the year is young of course.

YES!!!!!!! I FUCKING LOVE YOU RIGHT NOW! REP! REP! REP!!!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.02.2016 01:14 PM

Im laughing that yall always slurping up kanye like yall were a Kardashian but i make one eccentric comparison and you all lose your minds about it. Yeah i made the lou reed comparison, and i stand by it, and considering how much i love lou reed and loath kanye west yall should see it as quite the olive branch and again the more i reflect on it the more apt it feels

Severian 04.02.2016 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Im laughing that yall always slurping up kanye like yall were a Kardashian but i make one eccentric comparison and you all lose your minds about it. Yeah i made the lou reed comparison, and i stand by it, and considering how much i love lou reed and loath kanye west yall should see it as quite the olive branch and again the more i reflect on it the more apt it feels

Who's freaking out about it? I thought it was at least somewhat apt. I had no problem with it. I just have a problem with you being all upset about a Michael comparison. Jeez u sensitive bra ;)

pepper_green 04.02.2016 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Every single person on this SY Gossip forum is a goddamned hipster!

yep. in some form or another. certainly.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.02.2016 03:35 PM

Severian 04.02.2016 04:04 PM

SFAD: you can't compare anyone to Michael Jackson or I'll freak out
SFAD: Kanye West is the Loud Reed of rap
ME: hey, you're kinda being a bit of a hypocrite so I'm just gonna throw this out there: You can't compare Lou Reed to anyone or I'll freak out (even though I'm not bothered by your comparison at all)
SFAD: Everyone is upset that I compared Kanye to someone, that's dumb

LOGIC: (not present)

Severian 04.02.2016 04:05 PM

That's a great pic of Kanye BTW. ;)

Severian 04.02.2016 04:08 PM

Is that new Pusha T joint still supposed to drop this month? Haven't heard a word about it since Darkest Before Dawn dropped. :(

Severian 04.02.2016 04:24 PM

NR - really don't know what my favorite part of the album is. It's really hard to say. I've listened to "Famous" probably more than any single track of the past few years. But whenever "Real Friends" rolls around it really feels like the pinnacle of the album. But there's something about just about every song that makes me lose my shit. I even like "Facts" now. I just straight up like it. It's a dumb club banger, but it bangs like crazy. Definitely should have been a b-side, but whatever, I still like it.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.02.2016 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
SFAD: you can't compare anyone to Michael Jackson or I'll freak out
SFAD: Kanye West is the Loud Reed of rap
ME: hey, you're kinda being a bit of a hypocrite so I'm just gonna throw this out there: You can't compare Lou Reed to anyone or I'll freak out (even though I'm not bothered by your comparison at all)
SFAD: Everyone is upset that I compared Kanye to someone, that's dumb

LOGIC: (not present)

In what universe is Lou Reed comparable to Michael Jackson? Michael Jackson is like the Bible or Shakespeare in western literature. Top of the canon. Unapproachable. Lou Reed is a fanastic albeit mercurial and curmudgeonly for a popular and influential artist. Lou had a penchant for attacking music media and always being on the defensive. His art wasn't the most important of all time but one of most influential for his era. Sounds ALOT like Kanye to me yo

MJ is like the other MJ.. all the other HOF legends simply don't compare so don't waste the comparison. And yes, Michael Jackson defies all logic

Severian 04.02.2016 05:49 PM

Quote:

In what universe is Lou Reed comparable to Michael Jackson? Michael Jackson is like the Bible or Shakespeare in western literature. Top of the canon. Unapproachable. Lou Reed is a fanastic albeit mercurial and curmudgeonly for a popular and influential artist. Lou had a penchant for attacking music media and always being on the defensive. His art wasn't the most important of all time but one of most influential for his era. Sounds ALOT like Kanye to me yo

MJ is like the other MJ.. all the other HOF legends simply don't compare so don't waste the comparison. And yes, Michael Jackson defies all logic

I wasn't comparing Lou and Mike. But Ok, as long as you're willing to admit that there's no logic to speak of in your statements. You act like MJ is objectively better than everyone and everything else.

I'm just saying, consider for a moment that maybe I feel about Lou Reed the way you feel about MJ. Your opinion on Michael Jackson is still just an opinion. You can't get all huffy about comparisons to MJ and give other people shit for reacting in a similar way to comparisons they feel are inaccurate about the artists they love most.

I feel like I've made it clear that I'm an MJ fan. So you can stop preaching to me about how great he was. I'm a bigger fan of Lou Reed, however, and because all of this is based on opinion, you have to either play by the rules you set or not expect anyone else to.

Anyway this is really dumb.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.02.2016 05:52 PM

It is dumb, yall the ones being dumb about it! That os ok though, i understand. Kanye West has that kind of effect on people

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.02.2016 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
You act like MJ is objectively better than everyone and everything else..

I think you're finally starting to get it!

Severian 04.02.2016 06:15 PM

Quote:

I think you're finally starting to get it!

But that's ridiculous. Why would you ever expect that to go unchallenged? I don't think he's better than anyone or anything. In fact, I can't even count all the artists that I prefer to MJ. Doesn't mean I don't like him, but I doubt he'd be in my top 50.

He was great, but fuck man.. We're you, like, sleeping during he last two decades of his life? Man's last bomb song was in fucking 1995. Everything after that was shit.