Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café V (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=112934)

Severian 02.15.2016 11:48 PM

YOU'RE FUCKING KIDDING ME, TAYLOR WON ALBUM OF THE YEAR OVER TO PIMP A BUTTERFLY?!?!?

What is their goddam criteria?! TPAB topped *Every* list (except for mine... go Hudson Mohawke! ;) ) beat Taylor in Rolling Stone, Spin, Pitchfork, New York Times, fucking TIME magazine... What the goddamn hell?!

That's just fucked. I've got nothing against T. Swift (I don't *love* that she's been richer than shit for her entire life and used to model for Abercrombie) but who in the hell would make the claim that 1989 was a more musically or cultural relevant album than TPAB?! That's fucking bulkshit!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.16.2016 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah, man... I get that. After that girl who really fucked me up, I went on a fucking marathon of insane strange. Wound up getting involved with some genuinely insane women. When that ran its course I stopped having sex for a while. I kinda (not kinda, completely) relapsed near the end with a person who represents my all time low. I then made a deal with myself that I wasn't going to fuck up anyone else's life, and I wasn't going to fuck up my own by dating insane or easy or vindictive people. Also no dumb people. And then I started dating my current girlfriend, who's lovely and smart and good natured and kind. And we have a good thing going. Bonus was I started dating her like a week after "hitting bottom" (no pun intended) so I didn't even have a chance to slip back into my borderline addiction to WRONG, fucked up women.

Real talk though, that girl who broke my heart and dragged it through the dirt... She was actually an amazing person. Not particularly soft or tender, but brilliant and talented. And she broke my heart for a good reason. If I told you what it was you'd think I was trying to be funny. If I told you any more than what I already have, you'd think I was outright lying. So I'll just leave it at this: She was a good girl, and I brought that pain on myself. Did the same with a few other genuinely good girls along the way. I'd love to tell them how sorry I am, but I can't. I can't ever speak to them again. This is how badly I fucked things up.

I actually think this is part of the reason why Kanye's music is so emotional for me. The first song of his that made my heart ache like a Built to Spill tune was "Runaway," and I think it's because... Honestly, all kidding aside, I've been that guy. So when I hear that line ...

"She found pictures in my email, I sent this bitch a picture of my dick, I don't know what it is with females, but I'm not too good at that, see I could have me a good girl and still be addicted to them hood rats, and I just blame everything on you, at least you know that's what I'm good at."

... I get all choked up. I was a hot mess for a long time. Fucked up everything that was good in my life with my selfish decisions and my ego. I like hearing a musician open up about being a total Fucking piece of shit, while also refusing to let that be ALL of what he is.

So I've got a little Kanye in me. In my past. I've been so much better in recent years, but that guilt doesn't ever really fade.

So there's a little window into Severian's perennially tortured soul. Maybe provides a bit of insight into why I fell so hard for Kanye.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Severian again.

Quote:

Do with that what you will! Also, never pick up women at support groups. NEVER. It should be part of the code of man. You will regret that shit.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.16.2016 12:45 AM

Quote:

That's just fucked. I've got nothing against T. Swift (I don't *love* that she's been richer than shit for her entire life and used to model for Abercrombie) but who in the hell would make the claim that 1989 was a more musically or cultural relevant album than TPAB?! That's fucking bulkshit!

I'm sure Kendrick isn't really tripping on that grammy, indeed is it really hip hop to win such? Aren't these things made and intended for artists like Taylor Swift? WWED??

What Would EazyE Do

Severian 02.16.2016 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

WWED??

What Would EazyE Do

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SuchFriendsAreDangerous again.

noisereductions 02.16.2016 08:23 AM

I think we do this Grammy talk every year - but yeah, I agree w/ SFAD. I'd be way more surprised if someone told me Kendrick won over T. Swift.

I say this every year - I love music ya'll. I've never subjected myself to watching The Grammys though. I really don't see the point in it. At all.

louder 02.16.2016 08:25 AM

Very true. At least Kendrick's performance was legendary.

noisereductions 02.16.2016 08:30 AM

didnt' see it.

Severian 02.16.2016 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
I think we do this Grammy talk every year - but yeah, I agree w/ SFAD. I'd be way more surprised if someone told me Kendrick won over T. Swift.

I say this every year - I love music ya'll. I've never subjected myself to watching The Grammys though. I really don't see the point in it. At all.

This time around it felt wrong. Especially with the #BLM, and absolute unanimity of TPAB's praise. The Grammys usually acknowledge the big pop smashes (like when Backstreet Boys' Millennium was up for AOTY) but prefer to bestow their big award on critical favorites (U2- how Fucking many AOTY's have those assholes won? Arcade Fire. Beck. Steely Dan. Blah blah.)

Also, it's not like TPAB was All Eyez on Me or anything. It was not a non-PC record. It was fun for the whole family (sorta, ok not really) and even though Taylor made a Michael Jackson/Madonna at her Best- level pop gem, Kendrick absolutely scorched her when it came to critical reception. I didn't read a single list that placed 1989 over TPAB.

If ever a rap album (a true rap album, so we're not counting crossover monoliths like Speakerboxx/The Love Below) deserved to win this award, it was TPAB. MBDTF should have won too, but wasn't even nominated, so...

It kinda makes me understand why Kanye has spoken out about this shit. His first three albums were all nominated for AOTY, but he never won. Beyoncé should have won out of the Grammy 2015 nominees, but somehow Beck did, on an album that represents the least interesting work he's ever done. Frank Ocean should have won in 2011 (again, out of the nominees) but nah. Went to some white folks.

I get it. Hip hop, "black music," has proven itself to be the most enduring genre in the post rock world. But instead of giving the award to a hip-hop record that was probably the most well reviewed and star-making in history, they give it to a thin white girl who twerks in her videos and borrows without remorse from hip-hop culture.

Kind of repulsive.
But I stopped fucking with the Grammys long ago. I'm just genuinely surprised.

noisereductions 02.16.2016 09:59 AM

http://sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthr...61#post1298861

Severian 02.16.2016 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions

That was a good rap sesh.

I still don't think TPAB outdid Good Kid. Not at all. But the rest of the world did.

There was no slam dunk mainstream album in 2014. Nothing that captured the attention of everyone in music. So, yeah, Beyoncé didn't deserve to win just as because she'd never won... But you were right when you said that even if Beck's the better artist, Bey had the better album.

Also, Taylor won AOTY once before. For fuck's sake!! I hate the Grammys as much as anyone, but Kendrick absolutely should have won this award. Simply because it was the best album nominated.

louder 02.16.2016 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
wow, after a few listens i can say that Kenny truly redeemed himself with one. this is so much better than "i" (and i liked that song). new album might as well make Good Kid seem like child's play.

Yeah called it.

TPAB slams GKMC. Both are classics though.

louder 02.16.2016 10:21 AM

I was wrong about Kanye. :(

Severian 02.16.2016 10:25 AM

I don't even remember that Beck album. Even modern guilt has more memorable moments.

Whatever... The Oscars snubbed the Dark Knight and failed to give it a Best a picture nomination even though it was the #6 or #7 most voted for film of 2008. Then the Academy felt the backlash from that, and basically changed the way the category works, expanding the award to 10 possible nominees, *all because of Dark Knight* ... Then out comes Dark Knight Rises, and no it doesn't have a Heath level performance in it, but it was as good a hyper real action film as Mad Max: Fury Road (better, actually, by a wide margin), and even though the critics all said the Oscars would be morons not to nominate it, it got the snub again.

Mad Max is believed to have a good chance of *winning* the award this year, if There's an upset over Revenant.

This shit isn't fair, and none of this garbage actually represents quality. We know better than to think it does. But the most of the world doesn't have a clue.

So yeah fuck the Grammys and the Oscars and everything else. Double fuck the VMA's because they're so goddamn stupid.

louder 02.16.2016 10:25 AM

Graduation deserved to win "album of the year" at the Grammys as well. Not to mention The Blueprint, The Black Album, Stankonia, Tha Carter III, Take Care, BEYONCE, FutureSex/LoveSounds, Black Messiah, the list goes on..

Severian 02.16.2016 10:27 AM

Quote:

I was wrong about Kanye. :(

Wait, what do you mean?

louder 02.16.2016 10:29 AM

Quote:

Wait, what do you mean?

I thought his album would be on par with MBDTF and Yeezus. Of course you disagree with me but it's all good.

louder 02.16.2016 10:30 AM

https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/699376376290238464

"Also all Good Fridays songs will be on Tidal. Me and Kendrick got 40 songs and me and Young Thug got 40 songs. 40/40 club!!!"

Huh.. looking forward to hear the collaborations with Kendrick though.

Severian 02.16.2016 10:42 AM

Quote:

Yeah called it.

TPAB slams GKMC. Both are classics though.

You were right about TPAB too bro. I said Kendrick would never top Good Kid, and even though I like Good Kid better, that's tantamount to likening Late Reg more than MBDTF. I'm probably wrong in some way that I'll later regret, but Good kid just sounds like an actual overhaul/reboot of early '90s Compton hardcore shit, only with, you know, crazy intellect and a socially peaceful message.

But anyway, you said he was going to drop a high concept album that would be all charged up, and you were right. I was skeptical when I heard "i" ... thought he was going to get all soft on us, but you called it.

If I'm being honest (I hate that phrase by the way... "If I'm being honest"... people say that shit all the fucking time right now, specifically millennials and people on the show New Girl), but if I'm being honest, the main reason TPAB didn't end up on my personal top 10 was because it was on everyone else's. Like, quite literally. So when I put my shit together and gave it it's final touch ups, I decided to move it to honorable mention because I wanted to promote the album's that got no love in 2015, like HudMo and Prefuse and Pusha, who made a dope ass album that made no kind of lasting impact and was just forgotten the minute Future announced his 300th mixtape of the past two months.

But if I felt like putting TPAB on my list (which I publicize on blogs and Twitter) wouldn't have just normalized the thing, I would probably have done so. I rocked those early singles so hard, so much. Woke up to "Blacker the Berry" every day for a month. Just had some trouble listening to the record all the way through

louder 02.16.2016 10:46 AM

Understandable. I'm just wondering what Kendrick is gonna do next..

noisereductions 02.16.2016 10:49 AM

Quote:

The Oscars

I don't pay any attention to those either.