Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   "Made in USA" on netflix (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=64158)

hirsute_biped 11.23.2011 02:53 AM

"Made in USA" on netflix

for what it's worth, this movie is now on netflix. I've always liked the abstract instrumentals on the SY soundtrack, not so much the many versions of that uptempo song.

Chris Lawrence 11.23.2011 03:23 AM

that uptempo song is the greatest thing they ever wrote! hearing them drastically re-interpret it six or seven times in a row with such impressive success is a thing of beauty unsurpassed until "rim thrusters". still my favorite record by anyone ever.

that's really cool that it's available via netflix! has it even been released on dvd?

Mortte Jousimo 11.23.2011 04:48 AM

Well, when I heard "Made In Usa" first time and it began with Mackinīfor Doober and Full Chrome Logic, I really wondered, had the vinyls changed and I was listening something else than SY! But I also think the whole Made In Usa is just great.

deathvalley96 11.25.2011 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hirsute_biped
for what it's worth, this movie is now on netflix. I've always liked the abstract instrumentals on the SY soundtrack, not so much the many versions of that uptempo song.

:D That's awesome! Question: is it available on streaming netflix? I switched mine to streaming only when they raised the price absurdly.

ann ashtray 11.25.2011 01:04 AM

The movie sucks, and so does (most of...) the album. Very little of the soundtrack made it into the film. Must give both credit for being good for a laugh, though. Surely this counts for something.....

Mortte Jousimo 11.25.2011 02:33 AM

I havenīt seen the movie, but I can believe itīs no good. According to Thurtonīs text in that album the original idea of the film changed very much in the final version. But the album is just great!

noisereductions 11.25.2011 05:09 PM

is it streaming?

hirsute_biped 11.27.2011 01:03 PM

streaming only, poor reviews, i havn't seen it, probably won't

E. Noisefield 11.27.2011 03:35 PM

I don't even know what it's about. The information's somewhere in my peripheral memory, because I must have read at least a plot summary once or twice over the years, but thinking on it reveals nothing but an image of the soundtrack, which I have an enjoy, but it as close to worthless as an SY release gets.... meaning it's still better than most music by most bands.

Chris Lawrence 11.28.2011 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
that uptempo song is the greatest thing they ever wrote! hearing them drastically re-interpret it six or seven times in a row with such impressive success is a thing of beauty unsurpassed until "rim thrusters". still my favorite record by anyone ever.

At least someone knows what he's talking about.

Mortte Jousimo 11.28.2011 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
Yep....the soundtrack does suck. Were they trying to sound like R.E.M or something. I was expecting a EVOL like creepiness. Oh well

Have you really heard Made In Usa? It has absolutely nothing to do with R.E.M. And I think itīs very close to EVOL, also Sister.

stu666 11.28.2011 12:19 PM

I like the Made In USA soundtrack but the film wasn't so great...