Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   NR Essentials #7: Venetian Snares - Winter In The Belly Of A Snake (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=26110)

noisereductions 09.26.2008 12:59 PM

NR Essentials #7: Venetian Snares - Winter In The Belly Of A Snake

Venetian Snares
Winter In The Belly Of A Snake
2002, Planet Mu

Upon the release of WINTER, I had already been following Aaron Funk's career pretty closely. But this was the first album he put out that straight up broke his usual mode. Sure his usual abbrasive drums and odd type signatures are present, but what's this? His own voice? And total sincerity?

On the super-dark, "Dad" he mournfully slurs "I had a dream you were still alive/playing lots of records in the basement/and you would smile like you always did/when it hit your favorite part." And thus, the overall mood of the album is set. It's a record that really does sound like Winter. It's cold and raw.

Aaron (and presumably Hecate)'s vocals are sprinkled throughout. Including his incredible and naked take on the Misfits classic "She." But more importantly his compositions reached a new level of ridiculousness here.

Like a great jazz record, you can listen to one track over and over trying to figure out how certain parts even make sense. And then once you "get it" you'll smile every time when it hits yr new favorite part.

gualbert 09.26.2008 01:06 PM

"abbrasive drums "!
What's that?

noisereductions 09.26.2008 01:24 PM

abrasive

batreleaser 09.26.2008 01:28 PM

venetian snares is truly great. hes one of those artists where i cant even figure the fuck out what kinda music he actually makes. is it idm? is it glitch? is it breakcore? is it noise? is it jazz? just fucking nutty tunes. i love 'winnipeg is a frozenshithole' with passion.

jimbrim 09.26.2008 01:29 PM

Yeah awesome record, love it!

gualbert 09.26.2008 01:32 PM

I wanted to know what you mean by "abrasive drums" ( I didn't notice the error ).

noisereductions 09.26.2008 01:33 PM

He's definitely made a stack of amazing records already. And he's always trying new things and getting better. Constantly impresses me.

noisereductions 09.26.2008 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gualbert
I wanted to know what you mean by "abrasive drums" ( I didn't notice the error ).

Well on some of his stuff like say PRINTF SHIVER or MAKING ORANGE THINGS the drums are so loud and heavily distorted that they can like... hurt you.

atsonicpark 09.26.2008 02:33 PM

Yes.

One of my favorites by him.

noisereductions 09.26.2008 02:47 PM

know what I love? That awsome moment of silence in "Tattoo."

greedrex 09.26.2008 02:49 PM

gotta check this one out;

atsonicpark 05.02.2010 10:05 PM

soooooooo...

aaron funk (aka venetian snares) to me via facebook:
"whoah man, I love your videos! blaze! "

and

"yeah man, I make people watch your stuff and break their minds! some people I didn't really know were over awhile ago and I put on a marathon of your stuff. got a bunch of it back home!"

We're in talks to do a collaboration. Me doing video, him doing music. Not even kidding.

noisereductions 05.03.2010 07:30 AM

adam that's ridiculously awesome! good for you man!