Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Geffen should RELEASE THESE TAPES!!! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=94776)

Rob Instigator 07.12.2013 03:43 PM

Geffen should RELEASE THESE TAPES!!!

As part of Sonic Youth's recording contract with the Geffen music company, Gordon was required to release two solo records. For her first album, Gordon formed the side project "Feminist Intonations" with a group of New York City tenth graders in 1993; however, the project's recording was rejected by a Geffen executive, who criticized it as being "unmusical and unsaleable". An angry Gordon then booked a studio and recorded a second project called "Pussy Has the Power (Tone poem for the 90s)" with several amateur musicians who were members of a sex offender therapy group—the music was improvised and was rejected as "pretentious and awful" by Geffen. Although neither recording was released, Gordon did reuse many of the lyrics and vocal patterns on subsequent Sonic Youth recordings - wikipedia

I wanna hear em!!!!

EVOLghost 07.12.2013 08:42 PM

Bust 'em out yoof!

noisereductions 07.12.2013 09:46 PM

I'd much rather they spend time unearthing archival group SONIC YOUTH recordings.

Dr Chocolate 07.13.2013 01:35 AM

what the fuck do GEFFEN know other then profits and not satisfying the fan
fuck em
bring em out on GOOFEN and tell them to fuck right off!

Toilet & Bowels 07.13.2013 06:29 AM

Sounds like BS, I can't believe if such recordings exist that news of them is only coming to light now. Plus if Kim was interested enough in working with groups of non-musicians/community outreach projects she'd have done other projects of that type that we'd all know about. Plus I don't think she's dumb enough to imagine Geffen would put something like that out in the first place.

h8kurdt 07.13.2013 06:43 AM

^ This

There's no way that is true. Chris know anything about this?

Magic Wheel Memory 07.13.2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Chocolate
what the fuck do GEFFEN know other then profits and not satisfying the fan
fuck em
bring em out on GOOFEN and tell them to fuck right off!

If we want to criticize Geffen for this, then it seems to me that we would criticize their choice of profit over art. Based on this story, satisfying the fan was Geffen's main objective. Fans = profit.

I also have my doubts as to whether this story is true.

h8kurdt 07.13.2013 11:53 AM

The only reason I doubt this to be true is because of how it's supposedly come out now..and via Wiki. Geffen's dickheadness and ability to do something like that is already known through the Aerosmith and Neil Young farces.

Toilet & Bowels 07.13.2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
the Aerosmith and Neil Young farces.

what are those?

Chris Lawrence 07.13.2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
^ This

There's no way that is true. Chris know anything about this?

It was such obvious bullshit I didn't think I needed to comment. ;)

SonikJesus 07.13.2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
As part of Sonic Youth's recording contract with the Geffen music company, Gordon was required to release two solo records. For her first album, Gordon formed the side project "Feminist Intonations" with a group of New York City tenth graders in 1993; however, the project's recording was rejected by a Geffen executive, who criticized it as being "unmusical and unsaleable". An angry Gordon then booked a studio and recorded a second project called "Pussy Has the Power (Tone poem for the 90s)" with several amateur musicians who were members of a sex offender therapy group—the music was improvised and was rejected as "pretentious and awful" by Geffen. Although neither recording was released, Gordon did reuse many of the lyrics and vocal patterns on subsequent Sonic Youth recordings - wikipedia

I wanna hear em!!!!

hahahahhahahaa. bullshit.

h8kurdt 07.13.2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
what are those?

Geffen refused to let Aerosmith release an album during the Get A Grip era they handed in. They had to go back into the studio and did the-in my opinion great- album Get A Grip.

With Neil Young, Geffen sued him in the 80's for releasing "uncommercial' materia. It was the period Neil Young discovered synths and vocoders and went west because of his son. I'll admit that his Trans Am isn't that bad.

Rob Instigator 07.15.2013 08:14 AM

do we need to go edit Kim Gordon's wikipeadia page? we can make up all sorts of side projects!

SonicBebs 07.15.2013 02:01 PM

We could help her out by saying she's off the crack?
Might get her back into work?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.15.2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

"I even asked David Geffen personally if he would buy it for me.."

dead_battery 07.15.2013 05:19 PM

yo - wtf is up with these constant assertions of kims drug abuse?

Genteel Death 07.15.2013 05:32 PM

You mean you don't know anything about it?

dead_battery 07.15.2013 05:40 PM

i know that you made it up?

Genteel Death 07.15.2013 05:58 PM

I know I have. Tonight you're going to have to find yourself someone else on this dead forum to argue with about it. Careful though, the lack of individuals interested in your own self-righteousness has started making you look like a desperate troll who has gone cold turkey.

dead_battery 07.15.2013 05:59 PM

its funny that we cant tell when we're being malicious or nice but also i wasnt being malicious