Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Good covers. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2771)

mil_pl 09.21.2008 07:50 AM

and Sonic Youth - I'm not there (Bob Dylan)

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=CX7xddWLyYI

i love this one too.

Torn Curtain 09.21.2008 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greedrex
Quote:

Originally Posted by Torn Curtain
Good Titanium exposé cover: http://youtube.com/watch?v=NVNzL3dcWvY

oh my.
meh!

:confused:

terriblecanyons 09.21.2008 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torn Curtain
:confused:

if the quality weren't so shit, it'd probably be okay.

batreleaser 09.21.2008 11:16 AM

has anyone heard the cover record of napalm death's 'you suffer' that kylie minoise put out last year? its a 60 minute harrowing free harsh noise version of a 2 second song, and it really is up there with some of the heaviest noise ive ever heard. lea cummings is prolly the only noise artist who lives up to what he says. all these noise dudes think theyre so fucking hard with thier quotes in the webzines about "aurally skullfucking you while clobbering your head in with a small sledgehammer while you graciously accept the nihilistic beatdown of pure sound". its like, ok dude, its just music, meanwhile theres kids in iraq with bullets whizzing past thier heads, ok noise dudes, youre shit AINT THAT HARD. but anyways, kylie minoise is some of the only noise ive ever heard where i really feel physically assaulted by the music. amazing stuff. i gota see him live.

Everyneurotic 09.21.2008 11:38 AM

man, i hate this ultra "ohh look, i have a bondage picture on the cover of my tape and it's called 'sodomizing the pope', ain't i offensive?" shit some noise people do. and besides, 99% of them sound exactly alike, with nothing new to add and 99.99% of them aren't experimental at all.

anyhoo, that 1% is totally worth digging for.

and you reminded me of a good cover (in case i haven't posted it before):

anal cunt - unbelievable (emf or whatever they were called).

Torn Curtain 10.21.2008 05:14 PM

Creedence Clearwater Revival - I put a spell on you (Scramin' Jay Hawkins)

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 10.21.2008 06:32 PM

I saw a good cover of Robert's Johnson's "If I had Possession of Judgment Day" on a blues documentary.

breligion 10.28.2008 01:01 PM

The Cramps - Fever
Elf Power - Noble Experiment
Naked Raygun - Suspect Device
The Fall - Black Monk Theme
Bad Religion - Riding the Storm Out
Bad Religion - We're a Happy Family

Ween - LMLYP is partially a Prince cover, but it's not technically a cover

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
anal cunt - unbelievable (emf or whatever they were called).

I just downloaded that. It's good. I like their cover of 311. It's funny, at least. I don't know which song it is..it sounds familiar.

A*C - 311 Sucks

narlus 10.28.2008 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Spacemen 3 - When Tomorrow Hits
This version is only about 35,789 times better than the Mudhoney original.

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnywinternoshow
mudhoney - the money will roll in

both correct answers.

Crumb's Crunchy Delights 10.28.2008 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by narlus
both correct answers.

i agree

viewtiful_alan 10.28.2008 04:48 PM

The Faces' version of Wicked Messenger pretty much dominates the original (which is no slouch itself)
The Faces are Rod Stewart's pre-sucking band.

Blue Cheer's version of Summertime Blues gets the song's words across with a far greater sense of genuineness and urgency than any other version of the song I've ever heard. It really just sounds like a bunch of young deliquents clamoring for a break.

PAULYBEE2656 10.29.2008 10:01 AM

swing kids- warsaw

sarramkrop 01.11.2009 11:38 AM

The cover of Madonna's 'Beautiful Stranger' by The Love Is So Fast is bonkers. You would expect it to be 'cause they had the lady in Los Llamarada in the band.

acousticrock87 01.11.2009 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inhuman
I've heard somebody disagree with this heavily in the past on the board, but I love Sonic Youth's cover of Moist Vagina. I like it more than the original

I'd never heard SY's version until a few weeks ago. Love it.

demonrail666 01.11.2009 03:46 PM

Sex Pistols, 'Don't Give me no Lip (Child)'. Something brilliant in knowing that the one song in which the pistols made sense musically came from such an unlikely beginning.

toxic johnny 01.11.2009 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
The cover of Madonna's 'Beautiful Stranger' by The Love Is So Fast is bonkers. You would expect it to be 'cause they had the lady in Los Llamarada in the band.

Hooray ^^^^

Actually Bits + Pieces by U.S. Girls has to be one of THE best covers ever......

sarramkrop 01.11.2009 04:02 PM

Good call. I like her version of 'Days' too.

sarramkrop 02.04.2009 05:29 PM

I like Pink Reason's cover of 'Frolicked Walk Through Autumnal Bliss' by Hue Blanc's Joyless Ones, then again I've never heard the original.

Hue Blanc's Joyless Ones' cover of Pink Reason's 'By A Thread' is pretty mighty too.

Glice 02.21.2009 10:22 AM

Ladyhawke renders it as a driving dirge, while Lily Allen does it in best smacked out holiday fashion. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO RUIN THIS SONG.

And a better version of what was always going to be a shit song

PAULYBEE2656 02.21.2009 10:25 AM

fuck lily allen and her pseudo singing accent.. fuck her all to wherever...

and fuck womanizer..it is the worst song ever recorded inthe history of the world ever! absolute twaddling rubbish........ i dare you to listen to womanizer (regardless who sings it) in a darkened sealed room at full volume and not throw up chunks of pulsing bile from your gut. terrible song!