Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Your ravofite Pixies record (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=26352)

gmku 10.02.2008 02:22 PM

Your ravofite Pixies record

Feel free to expound if you're feeling inclined.

I made the poll multiple choice, by the way, in case you have more than one favorite.

atsonicpark 10.02.2008 02:24 PM

surfer rosa is my favorite.

trompe has all their best songs on it, though, so it's technically their "best".

Everyone will say Doolittle.

No one will say Bossanova.

End of thread.

:)

greedrex 10.02.2008 02:30 PM

^^ killjoy

i don't know much about RAVOFITE (is that Frank Black's new band?)
but anyway my fave is Trompe Le mOnde because it's amazing from start to finish.
but in truth i love them all in their own way
i love this band.

SYRFox 10.02.2008 02:31 PM

I voted for both Doolittle and Trompe Le Monde, they're equally my favorite

floatingslowly 10.02.2008 02:31 PM

Trompe Le Monde (I even had a message board named from one of the songs...I love it THAT much).

however, I rock the fuck out of some Doolittle on Rockband. oh, yes I do.

gmku 10.02.2008 02:32 PM

I honestly am split between Doolittle, Bossanova, and Trompe.

Besides all having some fantastic guitar-rock music, they all have a lot of nostalgia for me. Great memories with those three albums.

gmku 10.02.2008 02:33 PM

It always surprises me to hear people pick Trompe. I love it but I always thought it was kind of a sleeper for most fans.

floatingslowly 10.02.2008 02:35 PM

it's damn near perfect.

brb, I'm crying...

atsonicpark 10.02.2008 02:36 PM

Again, it's got all their best songs on it.

"Alec Eiffel", "The Sad Punk", "Motorway to Roswell", "Space", the title track, etc... all perfect.

I picked Surfer Rosa because of its energy, its simplicity, and the intertwining Kim/Frank vocals which is really the best part of the band in my opinion.

SYRFox 10.02.2008 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
surfer rosa is my favorite.

trompe has all their best songs on it, though, so it's technically their "best".

Everyone will say Doolittle.

No one will say Bossanova.

End of thread.

:)

YOU WERE WRONG

Rob Instigator 10.02.2008 02:36 PM

I like Surfer Rosa

I love them all, but surfer rosa is the best

SYRFox 10.02.2008 02:38 PM

Quote:

Again, it's got all their best songs on it.

"Alec Eiffel", "Motorway to Roswell", the title track, etc... all perfect.

I don't know if it's got really their best songs, I mean in a objective way, Doolittle seem like their melodic summum. A lot of tracks are perfect songs. Now in a subjective way, most of my favorite Pixies songs are indeed on Trompe... The Sad Punk, Trompe Le Monde, all great. Though my favorite Pixies song might be Gouge Away

atsonicpark 10.02.2008 02:38 PM

Bossanova kinda sucks. I appreciate how surfy it is, but there's a long stretch of crappy songs on it. The best song on it is a cover!

StevOK 10.02.2008 02:40 PM

I Bossanova Wit' Cha!

Seriously, Bossanova is my fave. Dig For Fire is one of my all time favorite songs.

gmku 10.02.2008 02:40 PM

The only thing wrong about Trompe is it doesn't have the Kim/Francis intertwining vocals going on. That really bothered me the first time I heard the CD. Doesn't bother me as much anymore, but it would be better with more Kim on it.

SYRFox 10.02.2008 02:40 PM

Quote:

Bossanova kinda sucks. I appreciate how surfy it is, but there's a long stretch of crappy songs on it. The best song on it is a cover!

Again: yes. There's some good songs on it ("The Happening" for the win), but the middle part of the album is boring...

atsonicpark 10.02.2008 02:41 PM

I love "all over the world" but after that, the album reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaalllllllllyyyyyy drags.

"Is She Weird", "Stormy Weather", "Blown Away" all suck.

gmku 10.02.2008 02:42 PM

I love Bossanova because it is surfy. It sounds great on a warm summer day. You have to be in a mellow mood to really appreciate it, I think.

noisereductions 10.02.2008 02:54 PM

Albini.

Glice 10.02.2008 03:05 PM

Trompe is the only one that gets played more than once a year. I killed the other ones when I were younger. Trompe isn't too Pixies, so it stands up to be listened to again.

Word.