Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Possible Replacements for.... Sonic Youth??? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=64126)

E. Noisefield 11.22.2011 07:06 PM

Possible Replacements for.... Sonic Youth???

Fuck exchanging band members as vital as jugular veins, that's just not going to happen and we don't want it to happen. Would it be "cool" if Kim Deal started singing for the band? I don't know. Probably, for the spectacle. But it would not be Sonic Youth.

That said, if the band's over..... who's next? Who is going to step up and occupy the position SY has held as the godfathers of a genre? They definitely hold rank, based on both age and influence, and I don't see any bands around that are fit to take their place (in the music world; not in our hearts and minds, of course.... that place is sacred).

Any ideas?

Another meaningless speculative question, but that's what this shit is for.

EVOLghost 11.22.2011 08:21 PM

Ololololololololololololololojdsaogbxnpnceghjfinag iu

ann ashtray 11.22.2011 09:11 PM

I don't think any band can really "replace" the Youth. I mean, they are still a band whether active or not.

I do think, even though I'm personally not a serious fan, a lot of kids will end up feeling the same way about Deerhunter as I do SY. Their fans tend to respond to them in similar ways, at least around here....but then again, Deerhunter is from my neck of the woods. Saw 'em during the "Turn it up Faggot" days, which personally was my favorite time for that band. Bradford is a super nice guy. Moses is too. Never met the rest of 'em.

EVOLghost 11.22.2011 10:07 PM

lol deeeeeehunturrrrr

Inhuman 11.23.2011 12:36 AM

The replacements.

Inhuman 11.23.2011 12:37 AM

Oh my, was that a bad pun I said? My golly!

monostereo 11.23.2011 03:03 AM

SY

Is

Not

Over.

Period.

Mortte Jousimo 11.23.2011 03:04 AM

I donīt think any band can replace SY as I think anyone canīt replace for example Tom Waits. But my world doesnīt end if the SY splits altough I still think itīs the greatest band in the world at the moment. Itīs just a circle of life, also artists and bands start and end. And I think itīs a good thing that things start and end, I think it would be very boring if something just continuing forever. Well the Life is continuing forever, but it changes all the time.

_slavo_ 11.23.2011 03:54 AM

Stupid thread brought to you by stupid user.

Mortte Jousimo 11.23.2011 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_

Well, I donīt think E. Noise is stupid. Itīs just that people have difficulties to stand uncertain these days.

Screaming Skull 11.23.2011 09:46 AM

One word, four syllables: Kajagoogoo. Duh. I'm jumping over to their 'gossip' page now...

syouth69 11.23.2011 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monostereo
SY

Is

Not

Over.

Period.

I'm with you and I hope so...

E. Noisefield 11.23.2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_

Brilliant.

E. Noisefield 11.23.2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ann ashtray
I don't think any band can really "replace" the Youth. I mean, they are still a band whether active or not.

I do think, even though I'm personally not a serious fan, a lot of kids will end up feeling the same way about Deerhunter as I do SY. Their fans tend to respond to them in similar ways, at least around here....but then again, Deerhunter is from my neck of the woods. Saw 'em during the "Turn it up Faggot" days, which personally was my favorite time for that band. Bradford is a super nice guy. Moses is too. Never met the rest of 'em.

I felt the same way about Deerhunter for a while. But I'm starting to wonder if they're up to it. Yes, Turn it up Faggot, Cryptograms, etc. were very SY reminiscent, but I don't see them really doing anything new.

Really it's just a questions of whether or not the tradition started by the Velvet Underground will be continued, and whether there's a band out there capable of leading its continuation.

monostereo 11.23.2011 02:43 PM

As amazing as the Velvet Underground were, I always think of them as being one of the most overrated bands of all time. I think "The Parable Of Arable Land" and "God Bless...." by The Red Crayola are much more reminiscent of so-called "free music" and "avant-noise - indie Rock" than anything else that was recorded in 1967/68. The Velvet Underground are great, though, I do have all their records and highly worship them because they made some real good music, wrote great songs etc, but personally I never thought of them as being a main influence on Sonic Youth, although VU surely paved the way for "avantgarde noise" within a "song" context.... VU were more of a "folk" influenced band, SY is more "punk rock".... I would say Can is more of a predecessor to SY than any other band, in a way how they put together their musical work through improvisation (although Can came from a more classically trained jazz background).
Motorpsycho from Norway definitely follow the SY tradition, although they come from heavy rock (Sabbath) and mix it with SY elements....

E. Noisefield 11.23.2011 03:06 PM

Really, not that I care, but I've seen far stupider, more inane topics in this forum than this one. I sulk now.

E. Noisefield 11.23.2011 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monostereo
As amazing as the Velvet Underground were, I always think of them as being one of the most overrated bands of all time. I think "The Parable Of Arable Land" and "God Bless...." by The Red Crayola are much more reminiscent of so-called "free music" and "avant-noise - indie Rock" than anything else that was recorded in 1967/68. The Velvet Underground are great, though, I do have all their records and highly worship them because they made some real good music, wrote great songs etc, but personally I never thought of them as being a main influence on Sonic Youth, although VU surely paved the way for "avantgarde noise" within a "song" context.... VU were more of a "folk" influenced band, SY is more "punk rock".... I would say Can is more of a predecessor to SY than any other band, in a way how they put together their musical work through improvisation (although Can came from a more classically trained jazz background).
Motorpsycho from Norway definitely follow the SY tradition, although they come from heavy rock (Sabbath) and mix it with SY elements....

True. Can might be a better comparison.

Murmer99 11.23.2011 04:10 PM

don't mind slavo. He's a dick.

EVOLghost 11.23.2011 04:44 PM

Ok ok. If you guys are seriously talking about someone replacing SY. You're stupid. Can a band replace another band? Fuck no.

E. Noisefield 11.23.2011 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murmer99
don't mind slavo. He's a dick.

I just don't get why people respond so arrogantly and heatedly to stuff posted on here. It's like.... why bother?