Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Underplayed records in your collection (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=41766)

The Earl Of Slander 10.14.2010 10:28 AM

Underplayed records in your collection

I was just having a total hallelujah moment with Fugazi's 'The Argument' record, which I've listened to like 5 or 6 times in what is probably 2 years of owning it. It occured to me that it belongs to a special class of records in my collection, which are those which I pretty much always really dig when I put them on, but for some reason rarely do. Anyone else have this? Records you own, where you are kind aware of their awesomeness, and yet have somehow never really put the time aside to get to know them as well as you should? I have a bunch of reading that needs doing, so posting this was my only option haha. A few others of mine, off the top of my head:

The Dead C - DR503 (except for 'Polio', which I've played the shit out of)
EL-P - Fantastic Damage
Sonic Youth - NYC Ghosts & Flowers
DNA on DNA
Most of my Ornette Coleman records
Captain Beefheart - Ice Cream For Crow

A bunch of others I'm sure...

batreleaser 10.14.2010 10:55 AM

All my noise stuff that I bought over the years. I think I just got too old for it, but still like it in the long run.

Also all my dance and techno shit, only play it when I'm having parties or about to go out and party.

ann ashtray 10.14.2010 11:00 AM

I've got this record called "Organ Orgy", just strange recordings of people covering classical tunes w/ organs....

It's actually quite good....just strange and not something I often think about putting on.

Glice 10.14.2010 11:03 AM

Tchiakovsky's 6th. Fucking amazing, but I always assume it's another of his swoony romantic 'I'm a closet bumlord' ones rather than one of his 'LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME BLEED FOR YOUR AMUSEMENT! I HATE YOU ALL!' ones.

The Earl Of Slander 10.14.2010 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser
All my noise stuff that I bought over the years. I think I just got too old for it, but still like it in the long run.

Yeah, actually, the majority of my noise/sound art/more extreme improv stuff falls into this category. For example, I've been pretty stunned by Homotopy To Mary every time I've listened to it, but that's been at a rate of like once a year...

noisereductions 10.14.2010 11:14 AM

most of them...

Mortte Jousimo 10.14.2010 11:41 AM

Here´s some:
Voivod: RRRÖÖÖAAARRR
Dead Kennedys: Bedtime for democracy
Free: Free
Gun Club: Pastoral Hide and Seek
The Stranglers: Black and White
Kinks: Kinda Kinks
the Jam: This is the Modern world
Uriah Heep: Look at yourself
Almost all my classic music records (Sibelius, Tschaikovsky, Beethoven, Brahms and Schubert)
But Mussorgsky´s Pictures At Exhibition I have listened a lot!

the ikara cult 10.15.2010 10:41 PM

Every time i get down to figure 8 by Elliott Smith i remember how its never depressed me as an album, i leave that down to his other stuff

demonrail666 10.16.2010 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
most of them...

No kidding. Having a quick look through my CDs, I'd say a good 70% I've listened to only once or maybe twice. A few I've not even listened to all the way through.