Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   SYR 5 (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=20899)

greedrex 04.02.2008 02:52 PM

SYR 5

Hi all
today i had a first good listen ever to SYR 5. I had discarded it from the beginning for some obscure reason and it actually is the only SYR i don't "own" in a physical way. It actually was a, if not extraordinary experience, pleasurable listen and i was wondering what yr take was on that one as it's kind of an odd association here (ie Kim w/ DJ Olive). any reactions?

+ does anybody have any background info on the way it was recorded, how it came together, that kind of thing...

Cheers:D

uhler 04.02.2008 02:56 PM

it's the only one i don't have on vinyl out of the syr releases. i would buy it but i need to save my money. that means no records!

marleypumpkin 04.02.2008 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uhler
it's the only one i don't have on vinyl out of the syr releases. i would buy it but i need to save my money. that means no records!

Sorry to hear about yr situation, it's always rough having to keep from adding to the vinyl collection. It is a good vinyl listen, it's 45speed, so it's unique in the sense that none of the other SYR vinyl are @ that speed. I'm not sure about SYR1 though.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.02.2008 03:11 PM

that is clearly what we say in hyphy, "barkin an' high cappin'"

Dead-Air 04.02.2008 03:26 PM

I like it in small doses. I do rather wish that Kim had written a few more lyrics rather than repeating stuff so much, or had just stayed instrumental at parts.

I believe she is referencing Yoko Ono here, as well as creating a chant effect, and I don't mind it at times. It just gets old if I try to listen to the whole record through with any regularity. I played the last track on my radio show recently, and quite enjoyed it.

This is definitely a "not for everybody" record, as some of the reviews out there will quickly show.

SYRFox 04.02.2008 03:38 PM

I enjoy it. We Are The Princesses is really beautiful.

uhler 04.02.2008 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marleypumpkin
Sorry to hear about yr situation, it's always rough having to keep from adding to the vinyl collection. It is a good vinyl listen, it's 45speed, so it's unique in the sense that none of the other SYR vinyl are @ that speed. I'm not sure about SYR1 though.

it's not that bad because i'm saving to move. it's not like i can't get it because i'm poor (which i am). i'll buy it after i move and get settled.

SonicBebs 04.02.2008 04:15 PM

i never really gave it much of a go. I thought it was , meh. ok. Never had the erge to listen to it again. Kim's vocals annoy me sometines, and i feel i'm going to have to be in a particular mood to get into it. I've not been in that particular mood yet...

Torn Curtain 04.12.2008 09:37 AM

I've only listened to it once and I enjoyed it.

Torn Curtain 04.12.2008 09:39 AM

The SYR I have trouble liking is n° 4.

andrei 04.12.2008 10:05 AM

I think it's a fine record. I'm not listening to it on daily basis, but i really enjoy it when i remember to play it.

radarmaker 04.12.2008 12:10 PM

SYR1 plays at 45rpm too.

Dead-Air 04.12.2008 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torn Curtain
The SYR I have trouble liking is n° 4.

That's probably one of my top 5 favorite records by them period.

batreleaser 04.13.2008 08:06 PM

its my favorite of the syr's. sonic youth can be the best noise band in the world when they want too (exageration). i personally like pop song youth the best though, well evol, sistor, daydream nation pop song sonic youth, not goo and dirty.

SYRFox 04.14.2008 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser
sistor