Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   top 10 favorite noise/harsh noise/power electronics artists (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=23859)

Everyneurotic 07.29.2008 09:19 PM

yeah, mah bad.

StevOK 07.29.2008 09:32 PM

I'd rather listen to noise rock than just pure noise.

Onani Nic 07.29.2008 11:23 PM

Maybe something like....

Aaron Dilloway
Incapatiants
Justice Yeldham
Whitehouse
Sutcliffe Jugend
Dylan Nyoukis / Blood Stereo (what I've heard is great anyway)
John Wiese / Sissy Spacek
Prehistoric Fucking Moron (Sydney local)
Heil Spirits (also Australian)

Everyneurotic 07.29.2008 11:27 PM

ahh yes, justice yeldham is number 11 in my list; i always do irregular lists.

SuperCreep 07.29.2008 11:51 PM

The only noise I listen to is Merzbow (who I love) and I just got some Masonna last week. Who should I check out next?

Oh, and I have a lot of Gerogerigegege, but that's not exactly the kinda thing I'm looking for.

Toilet & Bowels 07.30.2008 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperCreep
The only noise I listen to is Merzbow (who I love) and I just got some Masonna last week. Who should I check out next?

kevin drumm, smegma (not noise, but still), hijokaidan, the new blockaders

Tokolosh 07.30.2008 03:20 AM

Lasse Marhaug projects like Jazkamer and Testicle Hazard.

batreleaser 07.30.2008 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokolosh
Lasse Marhaug projects like Jazkamer and Testicle Hazard.

youre right, ill sub in jazzkamer for onsen geisha.

MellySingsDoom 07.30.2008 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheriff Rhys Chatham
I still wonder why freejazz isn't considered noise.

Free Jazz as a genre spans the post-bop experimentation of early Ornette Coleman, through to the post "A Love Supreme"-era John Coltrane, past Albert Ayler and finally to Cecil Taylor, where "freeness" is given a coherent if ever-changing form. I think the "noise" thing relates to people's ears clocking on to one or two aspects of a performer (e.g. Ayler high-register honks and squeals), without taking into context how that "noise" fits in (Ayler was a highly-disciplined improvisor, as is C Taylor today) to a piece or performance.

The European wing of free-jazz/improv tends more towards aesthetic/artistic abstraction (in contrast to the "blues" groundings of the aforementioned artists), and used/uses "noise" more self-consciously. However, again, this can detract from the form, content and (gasp!) melody of a particular performance.

Where "jazz" converts into "noise" is a moot point - after all, aren't Borbetomagus a highly charged and energetic improvising group? - but I've heard recent examples where a "rock" musician attempting to play jazz simply ends up playing sounds that may sound engaging on the surface, but zero fucking aesthetic or emotional power (hello David Keenan).

Nowadays (and please don't take this as a insult to you, Sheriff Rhys C, it's not meant that way :)), I would consider it an insult to conflate free jazz with "noise". Indeed, I would say that the current crop of noise musicians have little to no real interest in jazz, free or otherwise...

atsonicpark 07.30.2008 09:07 AM

"what the world needs right now is peace, love, and jazz noise."

atsonicpark 07.30.2008 09:12 AM

Also, I don't think Mouthus is noise. At least not the shitty Mouthus record I heard that kim gordon loved..

MellySingsDoom 07.30.2008 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
They all suck shit and get deadly boring after ten minutes.

I'd rather listen to cantankerous fart

or just go outside and listen to the true NOISE of the world around you, especially on a large city street.

I own several noice records and I have never heard any of them more than once. It's just me. I like some structure, like lightning bolt or borbbetomagus or what lee ranaldo's solo albums have, where even though it is not a standard structure, you can see progression and the piece of music is whole in an of itself.

A good noise record should have a form or structure, whether it be a more rhythmic Merzbow performance, or the full-one onslaught of (plays wank card) Whitehouse live. Generic noise (which I understand you're referring to) just goes nowhere, and coasts on a sea of musical and aesthetic cliches. One of the best "noise" records I've heard is the Pierre Henry "Cortical Art" album; the sound material comes from amplified brainwave activity. No jamming here - highly organized, performed to a particular length and structure, and cuts even my beloved Whitehouse in the visceral stakes. I wouldn't even begin to compare that with some bedroom loser with a broken fuzz pedal and a crap Sutcliffe Jugend CD...

Postscript - You like getting a lot of use out of the "Cantanky parping" wank card, don't you? Not as bad as me with my wank cards, though! :D

atsonicpark 07.30.2008 09:29 AM

I don't really get excited by noise anymore, but I certainly like it a lot no matter what. Sound is sound.. you know.. if it's compelling, it's compelling. I think people debate too much about these things or get too involved with aesthetics or whatever. To put it more simply, I prefer a good melody over a cool noise, but both have prominent places in my heart. It's all about being interesting.

If there's been a way to build it, there will be one to destroy it.

batreleaser 07.30.2008 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I don't really get excited by noise anymore, but I certainly like it a lot no matter what. Sound is sound.. you know.. if it's compelling, it's compelling. I think people debate too much about these things or get too involved with aesthetics or whatever. To put it more simply, I prefer a good melody over a cool noise, but both have prominent places in my heart. It's all about being interesting.

If there's been a way to build it, there will be one to destroy it.

afuckingmen. just listen to what you like kids! dig what you dig!

as for the free jazz as noise thing, free jazz can be very noisey, atonal, and extreme, and certyainly 60s free jazz was an influence on some noise, as a genre its stil pretty different. but if you listen to shit like brotzzman or kaoru abe, your ears are bound to get pretty blasted.

batreleaser 07.30.2008 10:57 AM

Quote:

Also, I don't think Mouthus is noise. At least not the shitty Mouthus record I heard that kim gordon loved..

who the fuck said mouthus was noise? noise rock maybe, but i duno. 'saw a halo' is a cool record. i can see how theyre a band youd hate though.

SYRFox 07.30.2008 12:56 PM

Quote:

Hmm I think they're really noisy. Listen to The Long Salt , it's pure noise...

EDIT: I just saw that I got neg rep from westernquinoxrocks sayin' "mouthus suck"; I laughed

atsonicpark 07.30.2008 01:07 PM

The only one I heard was saw a halo, it had chants and acoustic guitars and stuff if I remember correctly; was Load Records-type noisey stuff, not noise. But I'm not too familiar with them.

Westernquinox repped me as well telling me to quit being a noise hater.

batreleaser 07.30.2008 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SYRFox
Hmm I think they're really noisy. Listen to The Long Salt , it's pure noise...

EDIT: I just saw that I got neg rep from westernquinoxrocks sayin' "mouthus suck"; I laughed

theyre a good band, good live too, but not noise at all.

i got the same thing from that dude saying, 'you dont know fuckin shit about noise'. homie needs to broaden his horizons or somewthing.

atsonicpark 07.30.2008 01:08 PM

bahahaha.

He's pretty funny though... I hope he's joking at least.

SYRFox 07.30.2008 01:10 PM

Troll tbh.