Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

The Soup Nazi 11.30.2018 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
Nice tattoos! I'm too young and have no desire to get any, but I respect that.

Good decision. Kim once said she never wanted to get tattooed because shit eventually goes south as your skin ages. A coupla years ago she did this, though... but they were for other people, so I guess she didn't sell out.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 11.30.2018 01:22 AM

I'm a bit unhinged lately, Soups. (lately? lol)

All apologies for misinterpreting your post, as I could've sworn it was directed at me. Thanks for handling my brashness well. My opinion on nostalgia and personal enjoyment still stands. Some of us grow up listening to classical... others: Insane Clown Posse. You tell me which one is more valid (don't say it).

Please accept this Junior Mint as my apology.

*continues to walk all over your lawn*

choc e-Claire 11.30.2018 02:51 AM

Ambient 1/Music for Airports.

Bytor Peltor 11.30.2018 03:37 AM

Beautiful tat Doc!

And that keyboard......sure do miss having a desktop!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
As a NIN fan, choc, you might appreciate my left forearm here...

Inner-arm: With Teeth-era logo w/ Pretty Hate Machine colored highlights
Outer-arm: Fragile flowers (lighting looked better on my phone lol)

It’s 2:37am and I’m at work listening to Complexity 3 (best VA Comp you’ve heard in 2018) whilst I play GolfClash.

Bytor Peltor 11.30.2018 03:51 AM

Thought you might enjoy it......a great 4 track EP if you ever come across a copy.

Quote:

Thanks for the link Bytor! That was pretty good, especially the bit around the 4-minute mark where the drums stopped.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 11.30.2018 05:55 AM

Seriously, Soup Nazi. That was legit uncool of me. I just wanna apologize again, after the much needed sleep/nap I took. I've been all over the place lately and must've let my insecurities get the best of me, and conjured you going against me in my head.

Thanks for being so cool about it.

What's sweet though is now we're closer than ever:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
Beautiful tat Doc!

And that keyboard......sure do miss having a desktop!!

It’s 2:37am and I’m at work listening to Complexity 3 (best VA Comp you’ve heard in 2018) whilst I play GolfClash.

Haha yeah, you can't really see it too well with the lack of lighting in my living room at all... but the NIN logo has these cool highlights of pink and blue... and the Fragile flowers look much more like an oil painting.

My other arm has more work done, including a Bad Moon Rising piece which appeared on Thurston's Instagram last year. Awful pic of me, and forgive my teeth - this was taken right before a long belated trip to the dentist lol. Plan on full-sleeving both arms eventually. Every piece I get has been music related so far. It'll look sweet once I'm Joe Rogan-buff.

Keyboard is solid, nothing fancy - just a Corsair Strafe. I built myself a cool rig in 2015 for video editing/gaming. It's become my everything-machine since, as I run it through a 5.1 receiver w/ some vtg. Polk Monitor 10 loud-speakers for listening to lossless audio. I sold off my turntable/vinyl collection after realizing how great it sounded.

My ultimate goal though is to toss this guy in the basement as it's getting older, and build a newer rig - connect 'em both via a NAS server for all my movies/music. But that's neither here nor there.

Cool comp. though. I'm 5 songs in and am ESPECIALLY digging this Wronger track. Wow that's interesting.
What sorta gig has you workin'/golfin' at 2:30 in the morning, Bytor?

edit: this Physique Stuff song is neat too. Is this just considered experimental? I like the lo-fi spoken word and piano (sample?) w/ electronic noise, also the use of stereo. Very, very neat.

_slavo_ 11.30.2018 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
Zooropa is superior to Achtung Baby in my opinion. Achtung Baby has some iconic songs on it, but Zooropa is just musically way more interesting, less traditional and more "out there"

I listened to Zooropa again in a car on my way from work yesterday. First time after some 25 years (I remember getting it for Christmas from my brother when I was 12).
I liked it quite much, to be honest. Some crazy shit going on in some songs there.

Bytor Peltor 11.30.2018 06:32 AM

I’ve been doing this same 11p-7a gig for the last 28 years......started in the Summer of 1990. I’m certified by the State of Texas and receive my authority from a State Court......and that’s about all I’m going to say about that!

Well, working at night provides opportunity for listening to odd and strange music and I try and savor these opportunities as my retirement will occur in the text two-to-five years.

Oh how I love sleeping during the day!

This comp is the 3rd in the Complexity series......you can see the other two in my last post under the BandCamp thread. Wronger doesn’t appear on the other two, but some of the other artists do......glad to know you’re digging it!

Quote:

Cool comp. though. I'm 5 songs in and am ESPECIALLY digging this Wronger track. Wow that's interesting.
What sorta gig has you workin'/golfin' at 2:30 in the morning, Bytor?

edit: this Physique Stuff song is neat too. Is this just considered experimental? I like the lo-fi spoken word and piano (sample?) w/ electronic noise, also the use of stereo. Very, very neat

Dr. Eugene Felikson 11.30.2018 08:35 AM

@Bytor

A night shift of experimental music. Sounds chill man.

Severian 11.30.2018 01:20 PM

Quote:

Year Zero, by Nine Inch Nails.

Fuck you, it's underrated.

Underrated but has nothing on peak NIN (1988-1994; 1999)

Loved NIN so much growing up. Will never not at least like them/him/it/whatever

But I think his scores have outshined his album work in recent years.

!@#$%! 11.30.2018 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
I listened to Zooropa again in a car on my way from work yesterday. First time after some 25 years (I remember getting it for Christmas from my brother when I was 12).
I liked it quite much, to be honest. Some crazy shit going on in some songs there.

yes. the sound textures are great!

they’re better than the “songs” themselves

i still like the song for/from the wim wenders movie (i liked the movie too, lou reed was in it) but it’s the least interesting thing in the album—just same kind of stuff they had been doing for years

it’s more like “insert typical u2 song here” in the middle of a bunch of electronic noise/effects/etc

real u2 fans hate this album. for me it’s the actual opposite.

The Soup Nazi 11.30.2018 05:16 PM

Quote:

Ambient 1/Music for Airports.

Have you tried the following insanity? I think it was discussed before you joined the board:

https://www.thestranger.com/blogs/sl...c-for-airports

Severian 11.30.2018 08:00 PM

Quote:

I'm a bit unhinged lately, Soups. (lately? lol)

All apologies for misinterpreting your post, as I could've sworn it was directed at me. Thanks for handling my brashness well. My opinion on nostalgia and personal enjoyment still stands. Some of us grow up listening to classical... others: Insane Clown Posse. You tell me which one is more valid (don't say it).

Please accept this Junior Mint as my apology.

*continues to walk all over your lawn*

Haha. You kinda took him to task though. I love both of you but that made my jaw drop.

Don’t be mad at me for saying Life is Peachy is better, ‘Kay?

“Oooeoooraahaahsasabiblipbahaasa... twist, twist, Oooeoooraahaah...”

Lulz

The Soup Nazi 11.30.2018 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
I love both of you

Yah well you're not getting in my pants though.

!@#$%! 12.01.2018 12:48 AM

Quote:

If I enjoy something,

that’s the only reason you need

!@#$%! 12.01.2018 12:49 AM

https://youtu.be/tlATOD_3_ek

i think we’ve gone way beyond that though

she couldn’t have conceived where we are today

choc e-Claire 12.01.2018 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi