Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

greenlight 10.12.2016 02:34 AM

wow. proper ambient album again! time travel... lots of beautiful field recordings and samples in it. legends.

https://soundcloud.com/kompakt/sets/...ll-out-world-1

Bytor Peltor 10.13.2016 08:43 AM

I've been enjoying this over the past several days......from sheer moments of perfection to sounding like a children's album.

hirsute_biped 10.16.2016 11:25 AM

https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc/b...-day-show-2016
Bill Nace live set
https://soundcloud.com/richard-pinha...at-elastic-art
Richard Pinhas live set

The Soup Nazi 10.18.2016 05:34 PM

Schmilcoing with the Wilcos:

Incidentally, who says kitchen cabinets are for kitchen stuff?

The Soup Nazi 10.18.2016 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi

This is the shit. Too bad I still can't get a bona fide copy of Early Recordings, which goes for $80 online. DEGENERATES. :mad:

Finally, a minty copy for less than $30, including shipping. :)

samuel 10.20.2016 10:25 AM

Severian 10.21.2016 09:13 AM

Finally got my CD copy of Nicolas Jaar's SIRENS so I'm kinda all over that one again right now. It's just crazy good. Fucking crazy good.

Severian 10.21.2016 09:33 AM

Quote:

Finally, a minty copy for less than $30, including shipping. :)

I've actually been looking for both of these records for a really long time. I have Happy Nightmare Baby on CD, but it's one of those albums that I feel I need to have on vinyl. But whenever I check Amazon for prices, it goes for something crazy like $99.

Early Recordings is actually cheaper (a real steal at $81 for the LP, $90 for the CD) and that one I do not have in any physical format. So good for you.

Honestly I don't check up on the prices very often. Checked just now after seeing your post, but haven't for probably 6 months. I think I'm holding out hope that I'll stumble upon it for $1 at some second hand store one of these days.

Happy Nightmare Baby is one of my favorite albums from that era. A favorite from the entire decade really.

The Soup Nazi 10.21.2016 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Honestly I don't check up on the prices very often. Checked just now after seeing your post, but haven't for probably 6 months. I think I'm holding out hope that I'll stumble upon it for $1 at some second hand store one of these days.

Ya gotta put 'em in your Discogs/eBay wishlists. That's how I found out "in real time" that a non-degenerate seller was offering it for a non-astronomic price. And then ya gotta move on it real fuckin' quick! I've received a few alerts for Sharon Van Etten's Tramp Demos but every time I get there it's already gone. GONE!

Severian 10.21.2016 07:22 PM

Quote:

Ya gotta put 'em in your Discogs/eBay wishlists. That's how I found out "in real time" that a non-degenerate seller was offering it for a non-astronomic price. And then ya gotta move on it real fuckin' quick! I've received a few alerts for Sharon Van Etten's Tramp Demos but every time I get there it's already gone. GONE!

Shit. I don't "do" discogs because I know that ANY activity that requires ME to list albums (for any purpose) is guaranteed to become an unhealthy obsession that sucks up all my time and attention.

But now I guess I need to get on board with this shit!

I also don't do eBay much anymore. But there are some albums that I'm just totally fucking tired of not having, and I'm not getting any younger so fuck it.

Thanks.

Severian 10.21.2016 07:26 PM

In reply to myself any anyone who cares or happens to be reading about Nicolas Jaar's SIRENS (aka my new kind of girlfriend) ...

I think I have officially decided that this is actually a better album than Space is Only Noise. Really. The only exception is that there's no single song on SIRENS that can compete with the tear-a-hole-in-the-fabric-of-reality-awesomeness and perfection of "Space is Only Noise if you can See," which is one of the 5 or so best tracks of the century.

The Soup Nazi 10.21.2016 07:27 PM

Quote:

But now I guess I need to get on board with this shit!

Yeah. Just don't go after the same records as me or I will have to fuck you up.

The Soup Nazi 10.23.2016 06:00 PM

Quote:

Early Recordings is actually cheaper (a real steal at $81 for the LP, $90 for the CD) and that one I do not have in any physical format.

By the way, Early Recordings' "Northern Line" (originally from the 1985 Northern Line EP) was covered by the Old 97's during the Too Far Too Care seshs and it appears on the 2CD reissue of that magnificent album. The fit couldn't be more perfect:

Quote:

I'm going on a night train
It's only been a light rain and the darkened sky and the starry night
I'm humming on a cold train
I'm singing 'bout the Wreck of the Old 97...

d.sound 10.23.2016 08:17 PM

right this second:
kaitlyn aurelia smith & suzanne ciani

previously today:
oval - popp
tujiko noriko
themselves

probably next:
john chantler

Severian 10.24.2016 11:05 PM

I'm finally on that new Zomby album. I like it.

krischanski 10.25.2016 01:10 PM

The Van Pelt

The Soup Nazi 10.26.2016 06:38 PM

Why aren't you sons of guns worshipping Housewives on a daily basis? Well, I am. To heck with the restuvya.

Severian 10.27.2016 11:32 AM

Quote:

Why aren't you sons of guns worshipping Housewives on a daily basis? Well, I am. To heck with the restuvya.

I fucking love "Docile Body."

I didn't really catch on to Housewives until after Work came out. I have to get to know their EPs a little better.

But I agree. They're insanely good, and I feel like they have "SYG crack" written all over them. I do wonder why I haven't heard more talk about them.

noisereductions 10.27.2016 12:11 PM

throwback

The Soup Nazi 10.27.2016 12:13 PM

Quote:

I fucking love "Docile Body."

I didn't really catch on to Housewives until after Work came out. I have to get to know their EPs a little better.

But I agree. They're insanely good, and I feel like they have "SYG crack" written all over them. I do wonder why I haven't heard more talk about them.

Also! Why haven't you teknotronixxx people mentioned Klara Lewis either? Ya bastids.