Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   So... Should Radiohead perform in Tel Aviv? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=115399)

Severian 07.17.2017 11:40 AM

So... Should Radiohead perform in Tel Aviv?

This is more politics than music, of course, but I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up in one form of another, especially considering the fact that Thurston Moore has weighed in on the issue, along with countless others, pleading with Radiohead not to perform and to abide by the cultural and artistic boycot of Israel.

I really don't know exactly how to feel about this, which is why I'm asking. On one hand, I understand the reasons behind boycotting Israel. On the other hand, I suppose I can see why a politically-minded artist might think it was better to get in there and try to change some minds. Sure, there's a colonial attitude at work there, but I'm not sure there's anything inherently wrong with playing to fans who live under a fucked regime. I suppose I'd be tempted to boycott the US if there was something wrong with that. And lord knows how many other nations.

So I just don't know. But the "dialogue" is just shit-throwing and nose-turning at this point. I don't think anything good is going to come out of it. Certainly not for the people who are actually suffering under Netanyahu. Feels like a lot of first-world bickering to me.

Any thoughts?

Rob Instigator 07.17.2017 12:49 PM

You play the gig you are paid to play.

louder 07.17.2017 04:37 PM

Was planning to make a thread about it myself, thank you.

I live in Tel Aviv and will go to the concert. Very excited.

All bias aside though, I agree with Thom Yorke's Trump analogy, just because they play music in Israel doesn't necessarily mean they endorse Netanyahu's regime.

_slavo_ 07.18.2017 05:19 AM

They should totally play Israel. I don't get why many Radiohead (or generally music fans) should suffer from their favourite band not coming in to play, just because they're inhabitants of a land, with whose official politics they might not agree? Then why there are bands coming to play to China or Russia? And why nobody is making a fuss about it too?

The whole media bullshit about this is just plain stupid.

Btw, I hate how Israeli government is behaving towards Palestine etc.

evollove 07.18.2017 06:01 AM

Should any non-American bands play in America?

USA did some fucked up things in the past, and USA is doing some fucked up things presently. USA should be punished.

Severian 07.18.2017 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
Should any non-American bands play in America?

USA did some fucked up things in the past, and USA is doing some fucked up things presently. USA should be punished.

This is basically my take on it. I think it's extremely hypocritical for all of these American and British artists to come down so hard on Radiohead when non of them are prepared to take similar steps to take a stand against the Trump administration, which they all claim to hate and blah blah.

Of course, Apartheid is not currently present in the US, but goddamn — Roger Waters is bashing Trump on tour, and insists on bashing Netanyahu with a boycott. It's like talking out of both corners of your mouth, saying different things.

I don't want to get my ass handed to me by a bunch of people who think I'm an Israel apologist, but my gut is telling me that the average people of Israel are probably no more guilty here than the average Anerican is guilty of groping pussies and colluding with foreign powers to systematically implode the foundation of a functional democracy.

Radiohead doesn't need the Fucking money. They're not playing this show out of greed. They're playing because they played in Israel prior to the boycott, as did other artists who have aligned with the cause, and they aren't part of said boycott, so they'd rather satisfy their fans who have purchased tickets than a bunch of rich yuppie fucks playing protestor.

(Not that Thurston Moore is a rich yuppie fuck, but he's not a poor hippie with a heart of gold either)

I can't stand the war of words between EXTREMELY privileged white folks who don't have any first-hand experience with the very thing they're protesting about. It's conscience cleansing lip service.

Severian 07.18.2017 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_

Btw, I hate how Israeli government is behaving towards Palestine etc.

Likewise, but as you know that's really not the issue. You can be against white supremacy and still talk to white supremacists about why they're white supremacists. Y'know? (I know you're not arguing, I'm just saying..)

Traditionally I believe it's called diplomacy. :eek:

Radiohead has a massive fan base in that part of the world. They know this, most people know this. I'm guessing it's simply an issue of not wanting to fuck-off their fans, regardless of where they live.

So much of the fighting in the media, battle by press release bullshit is just grasping for relevance. It's hard to know who's for real and who isn't. Of course there are fucking atrocities committed in Israel under Netanyahu, but is music and art only for people who live in regions deemed just by Western thumb-suckers? THAT would seem more like a colonialist attitude than what Yorke is doing.

ilduclo 07.18.2017 11:48 AM

Boycott worked for South Africa. One of the main reasons apartheid failed (that, and the Cubans, Angolans and SWAPO)

a good primer on non-violent resistance here:

https://www.nonviolent-conflict.org/...ica-1912-1992/

not sure if a definitive history of the armed resistance has been written, anyone know of one?

so, no, they shouldn't play

_slavo_ 07.19.2017 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Likewise, but as you know that's really not the issue. You can be against white supremacy and still talk to white supremacists about why they're white supremacists. Y'know? (I know you're not arguing, I'm just saying..)

I'm not saying the opposite, mate.
That "btw" was just to balance out my point, you know.

Severian 07.19.2017 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
I'm not saying the opposite, mate.
That "btw" was just to balance out my point, you know.

No, I know. Totally get it. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Genteel Death 07.19.2017 04:41 PM

They're doing the right thing to play there. Pretty sure if they didn't it wouldn't make any difference anyway. They're some pop band who attract a lot of talk but accomplish next to nothing politically and socially. Good for them and their fans.

_slavo_ 07.21.2017 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
They're doing the right thing to play there. Pretty sure if they didn't it wouldn't make any difference anyway. They're some pop band who attract a lot of talk but accomplish next to nothing politically and socially. Good for them and their fans.

yes, that's why all the fuss about this is completely irrelevant. Like they actually have some power to change anything in Israel or anywhere else.

Severian 07.21.2017 06:32 AM

^ agree with you two

ilduclo 07.21.2017 09:14 AM

it's often a series of small acts that can bring change. Again, NO ONE should play Israel.

louder 07.21.2017 09:35 AM

The concert was pretty fun. Canceling it wouldn't've changed anything. Shit, it's been a couple of days and people already forgot that it happened.

ilduclo 07.21.2017 11:10 AM

the Israelites!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxtfdH3-TQ4

evollove 07.21.2017 01:23 PM

Pixies playing there next week.

louder 07.21.2017 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
Pixies playing there next week.

Meh, they already played here a few years ago and I hated it.

So, not going.

Severian 07.21.2017 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
Meh, they already played here a few years ago and I hated it.

So, not going.

Hah. I'm glad I saw them RIGHT after they reunited in '03 or '04. Just ... right in the fucking center of it, when they were in close to peak form. Or as close to peak form as big Frank can get since packing on the tonnage.

It's funny though... Radiohead plays Tel Aviv for umpteenth time and it's some bigass hairy motherfucking deal, and the Pixies, who are (or should be... once were) kind of in a similar orbit and class is playing next week and I just learned about it two minutes ago.

Why isn't Roger Waters flinging rubber bands at Frank's nutsack in the most prima donna-y way possible (press releases sent to major media publications)?

Fucking Christ. Way to go, Rodge. Way to get'er'dun

Severian 07.21.2017 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
The concert was pretty fun. Canceling it wouldn't've changed anything. Shit, it's been a couple of days and people already forgot that it happened.

Pretty fun, huh? Did they play "Myxomatosis?"

Also, I never realized you were from Israel. I thought you lived in Cleveland or some shit.