Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Emeralds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=29502)

_slavo_ 02.20.2009 05:14 AM

Emeralds

Been meaning to check out these guys for quite a time.
Any record recommendations?

Derek 02.20.2009 11:24 AM

I've only heard What Happened but it's genius.

atsonicpark 02.20.2009 01:10 PM

what happened
solar bridge
allegory of allergies
forest fires
dirt weed diaries
the self-titled releases

all great.

jimbrim 02.20.2009 01:19 PM

The s/t and Solar Bridge are both really good. If you get the chance check out some of Mark McGuire's solo guitar noodlings as well, nice stuff.

_slavo_ 02.20.2009 01:20 PM

I've heard Planetarium only so far and was quite dissapointed

SYRFox 02.20.2009 01:23 PM

What Happened is very good. I wouldn't say genius but very good indeed

atsonicpark 02.20.2009 01:25 PM

Planetarium didn't do much for me, neither did the often-praised "Bullshit Boring Drone Band". They have some noisier releases I don't care for, but I've only heard probably 15 releases by them so I'm no expert; I threw in a couple noisier titles in my list. I tend to lean towards the super droney stuff, so just get "solar bridge" and "What happened" and "Allegory of allergies" and you're good.

Derek 02.20.2009 01:31 PM

Only 15... hahaha. That's tons! More than most people!

atsonicpark 02.20.2009 02:42 PM

I like to hear every release by a band before making judgement calls. I stopped at around 110 with Wolf Eyes, though.

I'm on around 150 with Merzbow! He's still great!

chairman of the bored 02.20.2009 03:16 PM

ahh sunday night of no fun fest is gonna kick ass...emeralds, black pus, merzbow..

davenotdead 02.20.2009 03:28 PM

wish i could go to nff. damn you lucky ass new yorkers.

what happened and solar bridge are the best emeralds to listen to

lowlife 02.20.2009 11:33 PM

I'd throw these on cooley's list

no more spirits over the lake
born blacked out
laying under leaves
servant

pretty sure they don't have any self titled stuff out (yet)??

atsonicpark 02.21.2009 08:06 AM

I downloaded a coupled things on soulseek that were called "emeralds" and I got on their discography and they've had 2 or 3 albums called simply "emeralds" on different labels.. hanson being one actually. I've never heard any of the albums you just mentioned actually, need to check those out. Who are you, btw? I don't have my last name in my sig anymore. Haha.

_slavo_ 02.21.2009 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Pbut I've only heard probably 15 releases by them so I'm no expert

lol

atsonicpark 02.21.2009 08:48 AM

Shrug.

dntrecords 02.21.2009 02:48 PM

emeralds rule, as do all their solo projects. check out:
mark mcguire
steve hauschildt
lilypad
catnap
etc. etc.

PAULYBEE2656 02.22.2009 11:35 AM

ive never heard of these emeralds....i must be past it.... kidz and their fringes and silly words...

lowlife 02.26.2009 07:23 PM

Quote:

I downloaded a coupled things on soulseek that were called "emeralds" and I got on their discography and they've had 2 or 3 albums called simply "emeralds" on different labels.. hanson being one actually. I've never heard any of the albums you just mentioned actually, need to check those out. Who are you, btw? I don't have my last name in my sig anymore. Haha.

oh right the hanson tape, duh.
yeah I just know of you from scissor shock. my name is wyatt howland and I perform solo electronics under the name skin graft.

dntrecords 02.27.2009 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowlife
my name is wyatt howland and I perform solo electronics under the name skin graft.

your split tape with bee mask rules, just got that in my distro

dntrecords 02.27.2009 01:45 PM

oh, and you guys should check out the emeralds & dilloway tape "under pressure". that tape is fucking weird and awesome. starts out sounding mostly emeralds but then slowly dilloway creeps in. some creepy vocal stuff in there

toxic johnny 02.27.2009 05:46 PM

I was very disappointed because I had to leave before they came on in Stockwell, when they were touring the UK with Painjerk... I love everything that I've heard by them.
I totally agree with DNT rec's the collab with Dilloway is fantastic. Also the split with Tusco Terror on E Peace is sweet.

lowlife 02.27.2009 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dntrecords
your split tape with bee mask rules, just got that in my distro

thanks man

Iain 03.06.2009 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie
I saw them in Bristol a couple of weeks back, they were awesome.

I was at that show. They were indeed great. Wasn't that fussed about Pain Jerk but you can't win 'em all.

Anyway, all the Emeralds stuff I've heard so far has been at least good and most of it pretty great. The s/t on Hanson is really good and so is the recent tour tape they did. I can't remember if that one is s/t titles as well....

Also, the side project stuff is worth investigating, espcially Mark McGuire's stuff. Guitar Meditations is really nice.

dntrecords 03.06.2009 11:00 PM

is it cool if I post some links for out of print releases by emeralds & solo? I don't know if you guys have any rules against that sort of thing.. I could share a bunch of there stuff that is sold out and impossible to find outside of ebay

atsonicpark 03.07.2009 07:45 AM

Please do, man!!!!

I actually just bought What Happened, everything else I have is out of print stuff I d/l'ed. I really love this band.

There's no rules aside from "if you do cool stuff you get mass rep" haha.

blunderbuss 03.12.2009 04:24 AM

I picked up Mark McGuire's "Tidings II" tape a couple of weeks ago, and it's totally beautiful. Definitely wanna get more stuff.

EDIT - Just ordered a copy of his Guitar Meditations tape from a guy on Discogs too, which was what I actually meant to buy when I bought Tiding II.

_slavo_ 03.12.2009 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nefeli
i got the feeling that i have listened the emeralds and dilloway you mentioned before and that it was indeed amazing, so i looked around and i just found a blog with many releases by them. is it ok to post it?
if youwere to mp3 them, this will save you the trouble..
thank you.
http://weareupforsale.blogspot.com/search?q=emeralds

if the majority isnt out of print or its originally releases in digital form, tell me to delete this..

thank you very much, angel.

atsonicpark 03.12.2009 07:56 AM

Great blog link, I had most of those, thankfully -- I couldn't put up with the rapidshare bullshit if I didn't have 'em. There's an ongoing thread on Fangsandarrows.com (a GREAT message board... way better than most.. heh.. and probably what dntrecords was referring to earlier) where everyone's uploading all the rarer, older, OOP Emeralds and other related projects. I've uploaded a couple myself. Check it out.

jimbrim 03.12.2009 11:33 AM

I bought Mark McGuire's Dream Team CDR a couple of weeks back and it's fantastic, well worth checking out.

Derek 03.12.2009 02:37 PM

Quote:

Great blog link, I had most of those, thankfully -- I couldn't put up with the rapidshare bullshit if I didn't have 'em. There's an ongoing thread on Fangsandarrows.com (a GREAT message board... way better than most.. heh.. and probably what dntrecords was referring to earlier) where everyone's uploading all the rarer, older, OOP Emeralds and other related projects. I've uploaded a couple myself. Check it out.

that fangsandarrows board seems pretty cool. i've signed up but not posted anything yet...

atsonicpark 03.12.2009 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
that fangsandarrows board seems pretty cool. i've signed up but not posted anything yet...

Yeah, it rules. All the people actually discuss good music all the time instead of just 3 or 4 people occasionally mentioning something cool. Also, it's extremely active, and people are awesome about sharing OOP shit all the time.

Moshe 03.13.2009 12:51 AM

http://www.fakejazz.com/fake/archive...lds_-_what.php

Emeralds - What Happened (No Fun Productions)

Emeralds' name has been on the tongues of bloggers and noise addicts in the know for quite a while now, but, of late, they seem to have encroached on the consciousnesses of a far wider audience. Solar Bridge made plenty of year-end lists in 2008, and rightly so; it was perhaps the first major statement from the group, whose work until then was largely in the form of limited run cassettes or cd-r's. The title of the trio's follow up, What Happened, might be viewed as their reaction to their recent success, as just over a year ago they were still awaiting the release of their "proper" debut, and now find themselves opening for Throbbing Gristle. It's a rapid ascent, to be sure, but if their latest disc is any indication, not an wholly undeserved one, no matter their ages or the hype that buoyed Emeralds' growth.
The presence of synthesizers in Emeralds' music has always been a conspicuous one, but "Alive in the Sea of Information" owes far more to 70s synth fetishists like Tangerine Dream than many of the groups with whom Emeralds typically cavort. Other acts in the noise/experimental underground have adopted analog synths as instruments of choice, of course, but few use them in such a way. Emeralds music isn't exactly retro, but its sound is sometimes of a spectral, other-worldy timbre that, while often too roughly hewn to be called new age, certainly makes heavy use of the spacey psychedelia that marked the early forays of the genre. What Happened packs, perhaps, a bit less of a punch that its predecessor in terms of the overall heft of the sound, but its two opening tracks, the aforementioned "Alice in the Sea of Information" and "Damaged Kids" make for some enjoyable and interesting synth-based mind melting. The rest of the disc's five tracks engage in a simpler means of expression, more heavily reliant on drones and repetition, with fewer flourishes bubbling unexpectedly into the mix. The album takes on a more somber tone, save for a formidably menacing latter half of "Living Room," with the trio moving from the colorful palette of the openers to the grays and blues of the rest of the disc. Emeralds invoke an effective pathos, but by the time the slow swirl of "Disappearing Ink" has come to its close, the earlier spirit of the album is only a memory. The tonal dichotomy isn't severe, but a return to the bright environs of the opening pair of tracks might have lightened the mood toward the disc's conclusion, spreading out the album's best material rather than packing it at the beginning of its duration.
What Happened isn't a jaw-dropper from start to finish, but it is a well-rounded musical statement, a cohesive series of improvisations that, whether moving in a more linear fashion or spiraling into unpredictable musical environs, the trio tackle with an impressive focus. A number of releases loom in Emeralds' near-future, and if this disc, especially its openers, are a sign of things to come, it's going to be a good year for these lads from Cleveland.

_slavo_ 03.13.2009 03:25 AM

That collab with Dilloway is absolutely kickass.
Highly recommended!!!

atsonicpark 03.13.2009 09:55 AM

You won't be sorry. So much amazing music to download and discuss. Almost every topic has links to like a thousand albums, haha. That's not true, but ... well it kinda is. Everyone there is really cool and on top of shit. Really friendly!

fugazifan 04.19.2009 10:57 PM

so im finally "getting" this band. What Happened started to click and i can tell that we will have a beautiful friendship, im now listening to the aaron dilloway split and being blown away. im DLing solar bridge.

but most importantly, mark mcguire is blowing me away more than any other artist this year.
his stuff is mesmerizing.

atsonicpark 04.20.2009 01:22 AM

Yeah, amazing what a guy can do with a delay pedal.

That sounded sarcastic but I'm being serious. Great shit.

batreleaser 04.20.2009 04:24 PM

"solar bridge" got old.

deflinus 04.20.2009 06:44 PM

mark macguire's guitar meditations tape is completely unreal. i love it

sarramkrop 04.20.2009 06:48 PM

They're cool sometimes, never amazing, apart from some of the MacGuire solo stuff I've heard. They were incredibly dull when I've seen them live.

atsonicpark 05.14.2010 04:55 AM

I just got the new one, DOES IT LOOK LIKE I'M HERE, and it's prettty different and good.

Imaginary Softwoods is still my favorite band related to these guys.