Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Be nice to each other! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=104980)

Chris Lawrence 02.18.2014 06:01 PM

Be nice to each other!

Hi everyone,

This thread had more reported posts than any other thread since a few of us were made moderators to deal with dozens and dozens of daily spambot posts. In fact, these may be the first non-spam posts that I've seen reported, though I'm not 100% sure about that...

As I mentioned in that thread, I don't read the Non-Sonics forums so I feel particularly lame coming in here and making a sticky thread telling you all to play nice, but here's what happened:

- multiple people reported gast30's posts due to their hateful content
- I looked at the thread and saw people on both sides of the argument, so I looked at gast's posting history and agreed that it was a little disturbing
- I asked the other moderators for advice, we agreed to issue a warning to gast
- I contacted gast to encourage him to try to enjoy the forum without using words like jew, gay, ape, etc in a deliberately incendiary manner
- gast replied with a long message basically disagreeing with my request and saying he would no longer visit the forum

So, here we are. I replied and encouraged gast not to leave, but it's been about a week without response. I didn't intend to drive him away, BUT...

It is the stance of the moderators that while heated debates, nasty arguments, and otherwise dissenting opinions are the seeming lifeblood of this Non-Sonics forum, it should be done without using language that outright attacks individuals in a hateful manner - I don't think I need to explain this further (the thread linked above is a fine example). Any posts that cross this line (and we recognize that it's a blurry, individual line) should be reported and we'll take a look.

Again, I doubt this will be an issue since you all seem to be doing fine so far in your crazy corner of this forum. I'm only posting this long-winded sermon in the interest of transparency and to clearly state what should otherwise be obvious: NO FUCKING HATE SPEECH, DAMMIT!!! :mad:

Thank you!

stu666 02.18.2014 06:05 PM

Very well put Chris

MellySingsDoom 02.18.2014 06:48 PM

And a big plus one from me to Chris L (and stu) too :)

e2a: And the other mods too!

Pookie 02.18.2014 07:04 PM

This forum must seem awfully dull if you only ever visit the Sonic sections.

If I promise to be nice will you promise not to frighten me off?

Toilet & Bowels 02.18.2014 07:20 PM

On the one hand Gast was annoying, but on the other hand he was clearly mentally ill.

Antagon 02.18.2014 07:28 PM

Gast seemed like a bigoted, grammatically challenged version of Tommy Wiseau to me. But this comparison probably still makes him seem much nicer than he was.

!@#$%! 02.18.2014 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
On the one hand Gast was annoying, but on the other hand he was clearly mentally ill.

indeed. you can't reason with the insane.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.18.2014 08:44 PM

Whoa, I think this is the first and only time I've ever seen this happen before. We must all be getting soft around here yo!

!@#$%! 02.18.2014 09:06 PM

i wish the name of this thread had been

BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER

Derek 02.18.2014 09:13 PM

gast was one of the reasons I stopped posting here awhile back. When a lot of the prolific regulars left and the forum got clogged up with gast's incoherent bullshit, it became harder and harder to find the motivation to post here. I'm glad he's gone.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.18.2014 09:59 PM

gast really stopped a lot of people from posting, but I don't think it was the content but the quantity. Personally, I always thought the mods should have confronted his bulk posting, not because it was bad or offensive, but simply because it was too much. Hey gasty, don't bogart the forum yo!

Bytor Peltor 02.18.2014 10:19 PM

When it comes to quantity, the same could be said about yourself or many others from over the years. There was once a time when atsonicpark dominated this board and I don't recall anyone complaining about that.

The way I read it, the problem isn't people who choose to bogart the forum......it’s those who choose to respond!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
gast really stopped a lot of people from posting, but I don't think it was the content but the quantity. Personally, I always thought the mods should have confronted his bulk posting, not because it was bad or offensive, but simply because it was too much. Hey gasty, don't bogart the forum yo!

Derek 02.18.2014 10:21 PM

gast had the distinction of both flooding the forum with his posts AND posting stuff no one wanted to read. It became super irritating. atsonicpark posted a lot but at least he made posts worth reading.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.18.2014 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
gast had the distinction of both flooding the forum with his posts AND posting stuff no one wanted to read. It became super irritating. atsonicpark posted a lot but at least he made posts worth reading.

I agree completely, I just think that this particular moderation is less necessary than say, moderating two years ago when gast first starting bombing the forum which chased away so many users.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.18.2014 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
When it comes to quantity, the same could be said about yourself or many others from over the years. There was once a time when atsonicpark dominated this board and I don't recall anyone complaining about that.

The way I read it, the problem isn't people who choose to bogart the forum......it those who choose to respond!

Bullshit. It wasn't about dominating the board, there is no other way to say it, gast was spam yo. He was posting up to 20 or 30 empty, meaningless, incoherent threads a day. It got so bad that when you logged in, all you saw was two pages of gast threads. THAT is why people left more than anything, even I left for a year until gast stopped posting. But hey, thanks for throwing me under the fucking bus with my 3 posts a day for 10 years, dick.:cool:

!@#$%! 02.18.2014 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I agree completely, I just think that this particular moderation is less necessary than say, moderating two years ago when gast first starting bombing the forum which chased away so many users.

YES.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.18.2014 10:41 PM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to !@#$%! again.

Cunt 02.19.2014 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
the same could be said about yourself[suchfriends]

Ah, so it's just not me that finds the flooding of funny recycled memes annoying.

Genteel Death 02.19.2014 06:06 AM

is that ape or rape?

Genteel Death 02.19.2014 06:18 AM