Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

evollove 11.29.2018 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Early U2 is universally acceptable listening, and if you happen to like other U2, that’s fine too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
I was there. They were enemies of rock & roll. Still are, only worse.

U2 is the most beloved/despised band ever. It's fascinating.

I fucking love "Billy Don't Lose that Number." Remember the video that poked fun at the video-making process? Very meta. Ahead of it's time.

What's your favorite Phil Collins song? C'mon. I know you have ONE.

The Soup Nazi 11.29.2018 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
What's your favorite Phil Collins song?

"Sky Saw". ;)

!@#$%! 11.29.2018 09:25 PM

Quote:

The Phil Collins solo years will be discussed shortly.

i could have sworn your were gonna get into a critical analysis of liz phair’s oeuvre

The Soup Nazi 11.29.2018 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i could have sworn your were gonna get into a critical analysis of liz phair’s oeuvre

Oyyy, this fuckin' guy again...

!@#$%! 11.29.2018 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Oh my god so earnest.

it was earnest as fuck which is why achtung came as a sort of relief

they were still earnest though.

!@#$%! 11.29.2018 09:30 PM

Quote:

U2 is probably a "had to be there" sort of band. They're tied to a lot of memories for most of us. (Currently skimming Achtung and a ton of my childhood is flooding back.)

It's difficult to explain how culturally relevant they were at one point. I'm sure there are books about it.

they were!

they worked with eno

william gibson followed their tour

i saw bono prank call the white house i think it wad the gulf war

nothing lasts forever though

don’t see anyone crying about elvis. or rudolph valentino

!@#$%! 11.29.2018 09:34 PM

Quote:

U2 is the most beloved/despised band ever. It's fascinating.

I fucking love "Billy Don't Lose that Number." Remember the video that poked fun at the video-making process? Very meta. Ahead of it's time.

What's your favorite Phil Collins song? C'mon. I know you have ONE.

probably one of the late genesis tracks after gabriel left or right before

he was gone by seconds out i believe [eta yes far gone]

i cant fucking remember the name but i’ll find it

The Soup Nazi 11.29.2018 09:41 PM

You know how we often say, man, such and such producer really ruined that album/band? With Brian Eno is the reversal: working with U2 fucked him up and turned his production into a unidimensional one-size-fits-all-artists style. Just look at his discography — it's no coincidence the great stuff stopped coming after 1984 (Thursday Afternoon excepted), the year of the forgettable fire.

!@#$%! 11.29.2018 09:48 PM

ah, i found it. it’s from selling england by the pound. much earlier than i remembered. a plain little song about getting dumped.

https://youtu.be/uyagd2EvwDU

not sure he wrote it alone... but he sings in it

The Soup Nazi 11.29.2018 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Nostalgia is one hell of a drug

Nostalgia is the death of art. If you put a record on and it blows you away, it should be because it's still so fucking awesome it can blow you away, not because it brings you back to the good ole days when you were getting wasted with Squee and Pee-Jay.

!@#$%! 11.29.2018 11:04 PM

Quote:

Nostalgia is the death of art. If you put a record on and it blows you away, it should be because it's still so fucking awesome it can blow you away, not because it brings you back to the good ole days when you were getting wasted with Squee and Pee-Jay.

it’s fucking popular music

take a laxative

The Soup Nazi 11.29.2018 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
it’s fucking popular music

So are your shitty salsa records. They're not art, then?

!@#$%! 11.29.2018 11:32 PM

Quote:

im doing it! right in this thread! with this post!!xD xD cD

!@#$%! 11.29.2018 11:40 PM

anyway goodnight ;*

Dr. Eugene Felikson 11.29.2018 11:56 PM

Quote:

If I enjoy something, why does the reasoning behind my enjoyment matter whatsoever? I explained in my post that I still find the album to be unique. A lot of the riffs retain credibility in their minimalist, yet experimental, nature. You seem upset over the fact that I'm able to find joy in something which you are not. I actually deleted my post out of courtesy because I decided I'd be better off not getting into it with you.

You demean others for holding value in nostalgia despite posting w/ a Seinfeld reference as a username, on a Sonic Youth message board of all places. Do you not see the irony in that, given how antiquated both of those things are in 2018? I still enjoy a good amount of the music I grew up listening to, and pity anyone who can't share the same feeling for their childhood favorites.

While you're entitled to your opinion, your gate-keeping, "get off my lawn", attitude is tiring. If you really were some sort of golden calf in terms of art criticism, I doubt you'd be wasting your time on SYG. It's negativity and prudeness like this which has chased off a lot of old regulars... you guys get like 2 more active members and view it as some sort of renaissance. Maybe if this were a more welcoming community, rather than a musty cave littered w/ cobwebs, VHS copies of 1991: The Year Punk Broke, and empty prune juice jugs; that wouldn't be the case.

choc e-Claire 11.30.2018 12:01 AM

Year Zero, by Nine Inch Nails.

Fuck you, it's underrated.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 11.30.2018 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
Year Zero, by Nine Inch Nails.

Fuck you, it's underrated.

Absolutely! One of Trent's best (though I'd probably say that about every NIN album). Tracks like Me, I'm Not and My Violent Heart retain his trademark harrowing sensibilities while being awfully catchy. Also love the 'glitchiness' of the entire album - back in 2007 that was far less common. Also songs like Capital G and God Given are just as relevant now as they were during the US's Bush era.

I remember Trent leaking songs from Year Zero by leaving flash drives in the bathroom stalls of venues he'd play. It was pretty damn clever. A shame that the mini-series based off of the album's concept never took form.

It's no Fragile or Broken EP, but def. underrated overall.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 11.30.2018 12:24 AM

As a NIN fan, choc, you might appreciate my left forearm here...

Inner-arm: With Teeth-era logo w/ Pretty Hate Machine colored highlights
Outer-arm: Fragile flowers (lighting looked better on my phone lol)

choc e-Claire 11.30.2018 12:50 AM

Quote:

Absolutely! One of Trent's best (though I'd probably say that about every NIN album).

lol, of course.

Quote:

Tracks like Me, I'm Not and My Violent Heart retain his trademark harrowing sensibilities while being awfully catchy. Also love the 'glitchiness' of the entire album - back in 2007 that was far less common.

It's probably the single most talented part of his NIN career that he's able to convert the sounds he's working with, which everyone would agree are hard to listen to, into utterly listenable tunes. I love the hell out of 'The Great Destroyer' especially.

Quote:

Also songs like Capital G and God Given are just as relevant now as they were during the US's Bush era.

That's kinda spooky how every protest song from 2002-2008 is still applicable.

Quote:

I remember Trent leaking songs from Year Zero by leaving flash drives in the bathroom stalls of venues he'd play. It was pretty damn clever. A shame that the mini-series based off of the album's concept never took form.

The whole ARG is one thing I'm more upset that I missed than almost anything. Oh, if I'd been around then...

Nice tattoos! I'm too young and have no desire to get any, but I respect that.

The Soup Nazi 11.30.2018 01:02 AM

Quote:

If I enjoy something, why does the reasoning behind my enjoyment matter whatsoever? I explained in my post that I still find the album to be unique. A lot of the riffs retain credibility in their minimalist, yet experimental, nature. You seem upset over the fact that I'm able to find joy in something which you are not. I actually deleted my post out of courtesy because I decided I'd be better off not getting into it with you.

I didn't say anything, anything, about your Korn predilection. You did explain why you liked their album in musical terms, which I think is positive. I for one believe that group was (is?) beneath wretched, but in this case that's beside the point since I said nothing. You shouldn't have deleted the post. What I replied to was your sentence, "Nostalgia is a powerful drug" — which it IS, so I was agreeing! But I'm convinced it can also be the death of art and that one should rise above it.

Quote:

You demean others for holding value in nostalgia despite posting w/ a Seinfeld reference as a username, on a Sonic Youth message board of all places. Do you not see the irony in that, given how antiquated both of those things are in 2018? I still enjoy a good amount of the music I grew up listening to, and pity anyone who can't share the same feeling for their childhood favorites.

You're confusing two different things. I still like Seinfeld because I think it's still hilarious (for the most part), not because it takes me back to my college years when I had this or that girlfriend — THAT is my point. No irony there. Like you, I also enjoy the first piece of music that caught my ear as a kid, Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade (if that sounds pretentious, fuck you all very much; we only had classical music albums, whaddayawant from me)... because it amazes me as it sounds TODAY — TIMELESSNESS is an essential component of true art, that is my point.

(Now, dude, don't knock the message board format, m'kay? You wanna have these conversations on Facemook and Twatter? Fuck all that! :D )

Quote:

While you're entitled to your opinion, your gate-keeping, "get off my lawn", attitude is tiring. If you really were some sort of golden calf in terms of art criticism, I doubt you'd be wasting your time on SYG. It's negativity and prudeness like this which has chased off a lot of old regulars... you guys get like 2 more active members and view it as some sort of renaissance. Maybe if this were a more welcoming community, rather than a musty cave littered w/ cobwebs, VHS copies of 1991: The Year Punk Broke, and empty prune juice jugs; that wouldn't be the case.

OK, now you're just shitting outside the bowl. If I were a superpooperartcriticmeister (which I'm not and would never pretend to be after having read and listened to people who really are, and to whom I don't hold even the lamest of candles), I "wouldn't be wasting my time on SYG"? Why, because this is "low" art as opposed to "high"? Or because, what, there aren't any SYG members who give thoughtful and insightful opinions? (There are some, mind you :)). "Negativity"... I do thrash what I dislike if I hate it enough, and I exalt what I love even though quite often I can hear crickets here when I do it. (As far as I know nobody here gives a flying fuck about Sam Phillips. You guys are INSANE.) Is this really that bad?

Now get off my lawn.