Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Do You Believe In Leaking? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=853)

Inhuman 04.12.2006 07:29 AM

Do You Believe In Leaking?

Personally I think that some of the artistic qualities of the album are derived when downloading in opposition to just waiting and buying it. Album art generally enhances the reasoning for an artist to release an album. Whether it's about message, sound, mood, etc, the packaging often will portray it in a different medium of artwork. Diplo released one of his albums (Fabriclive 24) in a tin case filled with cards talking about the album and artist inside it, and that makes it forever better in my opinion. There's nothing like going home with a new album, putting it in, and lying on your bed observing the artwork.

dark globe 04.12.2006 07:50 AM

fuck yeah!
the thing is, it really doesnt matter, everyone here is gonna buy it anyway.
but i can see why people wouldnt like it, but i dunno, its the times we live in nowadays i guess.

stylishlyviolent 04.12.2006 08:03 AM

I don't see a problem with it. Hell, there is no worse way to ruin an album than for you to wait forever for it and then to be let down. I don't buy an album for the artwork or the smell or whatever people argue is better, all I want to hear is the music.

I'm sure there is plenty of people who are like this. They've supported Sonic Youth for years and will buy this too even if they download it. Sure, you'll get some kids who will download and won't pay, but hey, they probably wouldn't have bought the album anyway.

I don't see what everyone's huge problem with this whole thing is.

soniknirve 04.12.2006 08:06 AM

i don't think it's right but sometimes it helps the artist. like in the case of fiona apple. extraordinary machine was leaked long before a release was in the works. the leak got fans to request a release from the record label. fans got their release...

fishmonkey 04.12.2006 08:17 AM

i dont know, i'll download it anyways whatever its like, i just miss the days when you were pure excited coming home from the record shop with your brand new CD, slappin its on and listening to it begining to end about 12 times (i usually book the day off work and chill liatening to it all day) in this respect i would like to wait till it comes out, but for the past few times i've been waiting for a CD to come out i downloaded it first and was kicking myself afterwards, not because the CD was crap or anything but just cuz i couldnt wait till the release date..

rocky 04.12.2006 10:09 AM

I find the internet as a music repository to be very positive.
nor do i mind when albums leak, but the ever-burgeoning trend of albums always leaking, earlier and earlier, is not really something i look forward to.
It's boring like that.

strictlycommercial 04.12.2006 10:09 AM

I on the other hand do by the album for the artwork & the smell. Getting an album devoid of context like that is a completely different experience, it's what you do with oddities & band's you've never heard before but your freinds seem to like, music to toy with. I really need to get an album to enter it's headspace.

So no, just no.

next step 04.12.2006 11:25 AM

I havent it yet cause i dont care to have it now, but I think that's not problem sharing it before the official release BUT NOT HERE! at the end everything is going to the net. then I think all we are the first that will buy it when released so why not a preview?

I think the world needs new laws about internet problems. but the sharing should be free and all right.I'm paying many € to use an ADSL connection every month. unluckily I'm paying someone I hate!

amyvega 04.12.2006 12:09 PM

oh please, record companies and publicists leak shit all the time, albeit in a more controlled manner (although at that point it's out of their hands anyway)

HairwayToSteven 04.12.2006 12:14 PM

I just think it's pretty disrespectful to SY to talk about it on their own site. I don't agree with it at all, but people will download it anyways due to their impatience.

xpressway2yrskull 04.12.2006 12:22 PM

I've downloaded leaked albums in the past and even though I bought the album on release date it totally ruined the excitement for me. I'm sure no band would appreciate it either.

sonikold 04.12.2006 01:10 PM

i remixed the new flaming lips album a month before it came out, so guilty as charged. eh, i wouldn't have bought it anyway...

i'm a big fan of buying the album the day it comes out, though. it feels cool, being able to do it. that's what i did for "hail to the thief", "sonic nurse" and "secondman's middle stand".

Fox 04.12.2006 01:14 PM

I don't really care... But it must be so frustrating to artists who worked long in an album to see it on the Net before its issue...

hey alex 04.12.2006 01:16 PM

Yea, I don't normally download leaked albums. I have, like someone sent me the new lips... I didn't mind becuz I had decided I had other things to buy anyway (such as priest driven ambulance, which is way better)/
As for a sonic leak I won;t bite that. Sonic youth is like my favorite band so I don't need to rush myself. At most I might download a single track or that song they'll play on gilmore girls.

Was this thread started becuz ripped has been ripped and leaked already?

Inhuman 04.12.2006 01:18 PM

Pretty much, theres a bunch of threads floating around providing soulseek users to download it off of, and it gave me the idea to start it.

hey alex 04.12.2006 01:34 PM

that's bogus. Esp the part about spreading it here. Seems kinda unkosher.

stirling 04.12.2006 01:41 PM

I think I would download just about anything except a new sonic youth album.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 04.12.2006 02:32 PM

I don't get leaked stuff. The only thing I ever got was Cat Powers cd, and I only listened once.

schizophrenicroom 04.12.2006 02:47 PM

I never listen to leaked stuff.

Soundtrax 04.12.2006 03:39 PM

i think leaking a copy of yet unreleased album is as bad as it can get. if i were the first to put Rather Ripped on the internet, i could not forgive myself for doing that... but if its there, i am gonna take it!