Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Question for Commies (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=73193)

knox 02.23.2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathan
For the most part I agree with this and I think your criticisms are mostly on-point.

I would also argue that unemployment is only a problem because capitalism has shut people off from utilizing their own labor to provide for themselves. In order to do that, you need a loan or capital (for a farm or a business) and most people can't get either.

?

I'm not even following anything here but I just read this and I'd like to add that while that's true in Europe, in some places capital is ridiculoulsly easy to get to start up your own business/activity and that is encouraged. In my culture, the idea to provide for yourself with your own labor is more valued than the idea of finding a job.

tesla69 02.23.2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
that ship has sailed. i don't know what could stop global trade at this point. .

The cost of movement of goods and the flattening of labor cost differentials. The advantage of manufacturing in China is around 5% now, as fuel costs go up, Chinese workers demand fair wages and the general business environment gets more expensive.

Outright regulation could stop this, just as regulation allowed this. The US Congress could vote to not renew NAFTA and these other "free" trade agreements.

tesla69 02.23.2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

there have always been kim kardashians ...

they used to be known as saloon girls

!@#$%! 02.23.2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tesla69
they used to be known as saloon girls

i think kim kardashian would have been a little more highly rated than that

she's depraved, that's for sure, but she would have been a governor's mistress in the time of the saloons. maybe. okay maybe too stupid for that. but she's still great to look at, the minx. she makes over 80 million dollars a year doing that.

i wonder how hard she laughs when the camera is turned off!

Pookie 02.23.2012 03:24 PM

This thread takes me back to my student union days. Sitting around talking about politics, not really having a clue what we were talking about.

Nóstos álgos.

!@#$%! 02.23.2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie
This thread takes me back to my student union days. Sitting around talking about politics, not really having a clue what we were talking about.

Nóstos álgos.

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssss.

i almost got a doctorate and i still know nothing! seriously, i'm as clueless as the day i was born.

what's that phrase you wrote at the end? croatian for "our algae"?

afreespirit 02.24.2012 08:44 PM

Back in the old days of Communist China when all problems had been solved by making everything free, they still had famines and not just because the collective owned your teeth.

So some farmers secretly got together and decided that each family should have their own plot of land and if they grew excess food they could keep it. Shockingly they decided to bind themselves to this concept by creating and signing that most capitalist of documents, a contract.

full story http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2012/...sc=tw&cc=share

Too bad the Commies still feel the need to confiscate profitable enterprises.

Pookie 02.25.2012 06:32 AM

Quote:

what's that phrase you wrote at the end? croatian for "our algae"?

νόστος ἄλγος

demonrail666 02.25.2012 08:31 AM

Quote:

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssss.

i almost got a doctorate and i still know nothing! seriously, i'm as clueless as the day i was born.

As Socrates said, "wisdom is knowing how little we know".

!@#$%! 02.25.2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
As Socrates said, "wisdom is knowing how little we know".

pookie sez socrates said "eat yr algae"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie
νόστος ἄλγος

yes he did