Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Japanoise Appreciation Thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=31493)

Skuj 05.23.2009 12:03 AM

Japanoise Appreciation Thread

Nobody does it better.

Merzbow, Boris, Gerogerigegege, Corrupted, CCCC....just for starters.

It's pure and clean, innit?

Discuss.

summer 05.23.2009 12:17 AM

I tried listening to Merzbow. It was shit. I love Boris though but.. they're rock music? Are those other three more similar to Boris or Merzbow?

Skuj 05.23.2009 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summer
I tried listening to Merzbow. It was shit. I love Boris though but.. they're rock music? Are those other three more similar to Boris or Merzbow?

IMHO, the 5 that I listed are all unique and quite different from one another. Perhaps we shall investigate/discuss this much further.

Boris...yeah....maybe "noise rock" or "superdoooooom"....I dunno.....labels labels labels. Absolutego, imho, is one of the all time greatest recordings ever made.

PS: I love Merz. We must agree to disagree on "it was shit".

summer 05.23.2009 12:37 AM

Hmmmmm I'll check out all three of them then. I like Absolutego, it's nice to sleep to haha

Skuj 05.23.2009 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summer
Hmmmmm I'll check out all three of them then. I like Absolutego, it's nice to sleep to haha

I have a 4cd CCCC box. Oh how I adore it. Gerog and Corrupted are definitely mysterious. Some of their work is very quiet / ambient / found / natural / field noise....but Noise all the same. Noise need not always be "intense".

Oh God...kill me now....I did not mention Incapacitants, Hijokaidan, Acid Mothers, Hanatarash, Fushitsusha.....5 others whom I adore.....and again, all unique.

Skuj 05.23.2009 12:47 AM

Absolutego makes me think of a Diplodocus stuck in a tar pit. Cavemen come and throw spears at it. It dies. Eventually.

otearai 05.23.2009 02:11 AM

i love cccc.
it'll be nice to mention pain jerk and his so dynamic noise.
gomikawa fumio consisting the members from incapasitants and pain jerk.
junko herself - a challange with her screams.

chrome noise tape 05.23.2009 02:49 AM

Edie Gorme - Blame it on the Bossa Nova
VS
Boris - Message

japanese noise meets classic pop
the cheesiest noize you ever heard!!

pbradley 05.23.2009 03:24 AM

Hanatarash.

The Earl Of Slander 05.23.2009 05:03 AM

This thread has gone on too long without mentioning my very favourite Japanoise king, Keiji Haino! For shame!

It's difficult to mention a specific release by him, because he's possibly the most eclectic musician ever. Plays like 40 fucking instruments. That said, my constantly hyped favourite is Affection:

Although only turns into noise rock by any stretch of the term at about 20 minutes in, having been quite and haunting up until then. Keeps switiching between the two extremes. But he's got some of the best "proper" noise stuff out there too. The Merzbow collaboration is actually pretty great...

andrei 05.23.2009 05:42 AM

atsonicpark 05.23.2009 06:46 AM

^^^ Yes.

Derek 05.23.2009 07:41 AM

Merzbow rules.

That is all.

chrome noise tape 05.23.2009 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
Merzbow rules.

That is all.

Derek 05.23.2009 09:16 AM

amazing...

RanaldoNecro 05.23.2009 09:21 AM

date killer

otearai 05.23.2009 09:21 AM

there's more than merzbow in japnoise, uh

chrome noise tape 05.23.2009 10:14 AM

V/A - JAPANOISE OF DEATH
a selection of Japan's finest Noise artists.
feat. MSBR / NOISEUSE / GUILTY CONNECTOR / KK.NULL / GOVERNMENT ALPHA / INCAPACITANTS / K2 / DEFECTRO / WAGE-SLAVE EXCHANGE / MASONNA

Skuj 05.23.2009 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otearai
there's more than merzbow in japnoise, uh

Hence this thread.

Yeah, Keiji Haino (sp?) is God. I have a couple of his lengthy meditations.

Aube, anyone?

I do adore Acid Mothers. Their prolificness must not be equated with garbage. I love the attitude and energy. I want to hang out with them. Always.

Glice 05.23.2009 11:24 AM

I've really gone off noise the last few years, but I used to be quite heavily into it when I was a teenager. When I was into it, I found Aube quite insipid. Every now and then I get the urge to listen to Frequency LSD, but I don't really care for noise these days. I'm not saying the genre's bad, it's just not for me right now. I will say though, the Japs do do it better than the Yanks (and definitely better than the Brits).

I quite like that noise is quickly becoming a global enterprise - there's noise coming from China, Africa, Russia, most of Europe, South America, Australasia. That's not to say that it's all good, but it's nice that it's not another Anglo-American dominated thing (maybe it was always thus?)