Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Yr Favorite SY Shirt Designs (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=18698)

avantgarde1 01.04.2008 10:09 PM

Yr Favorite SY Shirt Designs

1 Attachment(s)
don't if this has been done yet and frankly don't care. so what's yr fav design on their t-shirts? i have many but my most up to date one would have to be the tape and bones shirt. i especially love the back of it w/ the destroyed cassette... fucking awesome. haven't really liked some of the newer ones lately... although i did like the one for nurse w/ her face and SY over her mouth cloth thingy, but i llok terrible in red so i didn't get it. so how bout ya'll, what's yr favorites?

Chris Lawrence 01.05.2008 02:12 AM

love that nurse shirt too. i really loved the black ringer 'bomb pop' dirty era T, and the old vomit green 'dirty' cover shirt which i wore proudly in 7th grade. that 'jet set dance discotheque' shirt was fucking ugly as hell but kinda hilarious at the same time. OH the traci lords/disappear one w/ the neil young tour set list on the back! never did own that one. love it.

uuuhh i gotta say, it is with immense frequency and pride that i wear that green striped / yellow GIVE MY SOUL... imprint i love so much... bought it at one of the california daydream shows (hey, uh, tapes of these gigs yet, anyone?) and its so offensive but i love it. that one that compiles about 15 or 20 different images from early SY + related art/etc is cool too (my ex bought that one and we found every single image in that 'sonic matters' xerox book!) .. . some of the newer ones are pretty insane, though.

shit, they have more. the 'washing machine' T is a classic, of course. and the 'original folk blues' dog shirt from the thousand leaves tour is great.

the one w/ all the firehose '86 tour dates was amazing!

ooooh the bunny/DIRTY era should've been first on this list. GRACIAS

the SONIC LIFE cross image is another classic. that paper doll dirty era one was pretty cool too! shit...they've had a lot of great shirts.

sonicl 01.05.2008 02:18 AM

When The Whitey Album came out I had two Ciccone Youth t-shirts. I can't remember what happened to them, but I wish I still had them. They were beautiful and ugly at the same time.

stu666 01.05.2008 05:45 AM

i didn't realize i had so many Sonic Youth t-shirts, i got the green dirty one in Australia in '93, the Free Kitten one i think i got at Reading '93 or Phoenix 94 the others came from either festivals or ebay, anyway here they all are:

stu666 01.05.2008 05:52 AM

and now the rest,i thought i'd throw in the hat for good measure

i really love this hat and it rarely comes off my head in these cold winter months

_slavo_ 01.05.2008 06:05 AM

Now that's a pretty great collection, stu! I love that longsleeve Bad Moon Rising one, it looks so ... punkish.

_slavo_ 01.05.2008 06:07 AM

By the way, I have the 3 obvious choices ... a black Confusion one, a white Goo one and a blue Washing Machine one.

mil_pl 01.05.2008 06:29 AM

i like the red one with nurse it's pretty cool ! :)

stu666 01.05.2008 06:48 AM

you can still get the tape hoodie from the kung fu store but only in XXL size

stu666 01.05.2008 11:07 AM

from the t-shirts in the store at the moment i would like to get the Thurston and Evol ones:

just found a good t-shirt on ebay (not Sonic Youth) but it's quite expensive
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=350012178497&ssPa geName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=022

Kina 01.05.2008 03:28 PM

My favourite is my Goo shirt, I used to like an old Daydream Nation one with a white candle print which I had in black long-sleeve and also I had that Bad Moon Rising shirt in short sleeve but I left them in my wardrobe in Croatia so while I was away my dad gave them away to the poor, I wonder who ended up with it and whether they have any idea what the shirts mean

krastian 01.05.2008 03:41 PM

stu, that Bad Moon long sleeve fucking rules.

avantgarde1 01.05.2008 04:48 PM

ooooo, i almost forgot! the paper grunge doll one! i love that shirt, and it's gotta be in the original maroon color!

greenlight 01.05.2008 05:36 PM

lots sy tshirts stu and some of them are hard to come by! nice.

avantgarde1 01.05.2008 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennthebenn
that black tour hoodie is still a major mainstay of my "hanging around the
house" wardrobe. here's some of my own pics, with a cameo from my
socked feet.

and the back--

and the back--

wash yr socks.

jakeonguitar 01.05.2008 09:30 PM

I had the red Sonic Nurse one. It was pretty cool.

Right now I have the grey Kool Thing shirt and the green Lisbon shirt. The Lisbon is definitely my favorite. It was cheap, too.

avantgarde1 01.05.2008 10:46 PM

lol, not talking about the grey part. their dingy, and the left ones got a hole in it. chuck and buy some new ones, my treat.

avantgarde1 03.29.2008 05:06 PM

there's also some shitty pop punk band that uses a logo similar to that. but i still think sy's is the best... for obvious reasons.

fluxequalsrad 03.29.2008 06:17 PM

yeah im not much for the tape n crossbones shirt.... too pop punk.

as for the washing machine logo shirt? iconic. Its on my wall :)

Pessimist 03.30.2008 05:05 PM

I really love the Ecstatic Peace Kim watercolor-esque shirt. Really sorta pastoral.