Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Best new/most anticipated albums: 2018 (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=116384)

_slavo_ 02.09.2018 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
Mono are recording their new album, this will be their 10th.

and it will sound exactly the same as the previous 9 albums before that.
Mono might possibly be the lamest band ever to walk the surface of Earth.

guest 02.09.2018 08:38 AM

lol

Severian 02.09.2018 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
and it will sound exactly the same as the previous 9 albums before that.
Mono might possibly be the lamest band ever to walk the surface of Earth.

Wow. Harsh.

I do kind of agree that their albums sound the same, but so do GY!BE’s and ASMZ’s and Mogwai’s and whtever other post-rocky bands are still doing stuff.

I’ll admit that for the last few years, Mono has been a band that I’ve been loyal to, and I’ve purchased their albums and repped them heavily, but I haven’t listened to them much after about the second week. Kinda like recent Thurston, Lee, Flaming Lips, Dinosaur Jr, etc. albums.

But that’s just a symptom of the times. It’s not the finest period for guitar/bass/drum music. I still think Mono is a great band, and I’m surprised at your level of snark on this one.

Severian 02.09.2018 11:20 AM

Guest, on the other hand, I’m not surprised by at all.

I’d be speechless if you popped on here and expressed a sentiment that wasn’t completely snide. :)

_tunic_ 02.09.2018 11:45 AM

I have a weak spot for Mono, the first time I saw them was one of the best concert experiences ever. Sorry if you heard this before. I didn't know them at all, and I decided to close my eyes because the stage lights were directly in my eyes, and I ended up in a trance like state for the entire set. Only when the music got suddenly very loud I opened my eyes in shock :-) People behind me kept poking me thinking I was fast asleep.

Now it's the band I listen to the most, especially in the car. Don't like the latest album as much as the others, too much metally. I still hope to see them live one day with a string orchestra

Yes, it's all the same, but it's so delicious
You could say that from many bands (Interpol comes to mind), and often it does get boring.

Anyway, it's a good thing we don't necessarily all like the same music

_tunic_ 02.09.2018 11:53 AM

so you really think Mono is worse than this ?

:D

noisereductions 02.09.2018 11:58 AM

I once thought I had Mono for an entire year. Turned out I was just really bored.

The Soup Nazi 02.12.2018 08:40 PM

CHRIST ON A STICK NEW COURTNEY BARNETT (or should I say, "New Courtney Barnett?"):

http://www.undertheradarmag.com/news...ing_new_music/

The Soup Nazi 02.12.2018 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
I once thought I had Mono for an entire year. Turned out I was just really bored.

:) :) :)

Severian 02.13.2018 11:25 AM

New MGMT seems promising.

d.sound 02.14.2018 01:42 AM

Quote:

this is my favorite joke in the whole movie.

_slavo_ 02.14.2018 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
I still think Mono is a great band, and I’m surprised at your level of snark on this one.

Hmm. I used to be quite a post-rock fan some 15-20 years ago (especially the first wave, when all the first Mogwai, Bowery Electric, Long Fin Killie and Tortoise albums were really something fresh), but after several years, it started to become really bland.

I've seen a Mono gig twice in my life. Twice I left the venue before they ended. (and it never happened to me with any other band in my life). I really don't want to sound harsh (and please do not take this personally, as I see you're their fan), but to my ears, they personalize every embarrassing post-rock cliché imaginable.

Severian 02.14.2018 10:28 PM

Quote:

Hmm. I used to be quite a post-rock fan some 15-20 years ago (especially the first wave, when all the first Mogwai, Bowery Electric, Long Fin Killie and Tortoise albums were really something fresh), but after several years, it started to become really bland.

I've seen a Mono gig twice in my life. Twice I left the venue before they ended. (and it never happened to me with any other band in my life). I really don't want to sound harsh (and please do not take this personally, as I see you're their fan), but to my ears, they personalize every embarrassing post-rock cliché imaginable.

Hey I’m not offended. That all sounds fair enough to me, even though I disagree. It’s hard not to be just plain fine with post-rock, but there’s still some good stuff out there. For me, I guess Mono is like comfort food at this point.

Nothing they’ve done compares to, say, “Millions Now Living...”

noisereductions 02.14.2018 10:34 PM

Oh God, Millions Now Living is incredible. I love that album.

Severian 02.15.2018 02:30 PM

Quote:

Oh God, Millions Now Living is incredible. I love that album.

“Djed” would be on my favorite songs of all-time list, without question. And it would be HIGH on that motherfucker.

_slavo_ 02.16.2018 03:33 AM

Quote:

“Djed” would be on my favorite songs of all-time list, without question. And it would be HIGH on that motherfucker.

Djed is a monster track for sure.

Hey, dude, btw. did you know I'll be supporting M.E.S.H. next week? Kinda hyped up for this.

noisereductions 02.16.2018 07:41 AM

Sev new Carseat is out

Severian 02.16.2018 12:57 PM

Quote:

Djed is a monster track for sure.

Hey, dude, btw. did you know I'll be supporting M.E.S.H. next week? Kinda hyped up for this.

I think you mentioned this to me earlier, didn’t you? Anyway, congrats!! That is truly awesome. Hope you record your shit for us. ;)

Severian 02.16.2018 12:59 PM

Quote:

Sev new Carseat is out

New-old Car Seat, yeah. I listened to a bit of it last night. Didn’t slam me right away like the two previous albums, but I’m sure it will be solid.

There’s also a new Ought album that sounds pretty good.

Oh, and the new MGMT record is actually very good. “Little Dark Age” is my favorite song of the year so far. That groove is just obscenely sticky and delicious.

noisereductions 02.16.2018 01:42 PM

new-old?

I don't really know anything about this band, so...?

Severian 02.16.2018 09:19 PM

Quote:

new-old?

I don't really know anything about this band, so...?

It’s an album from his SoundCloud days. He released like 10 “albums” in two years or something before getting a proper deal. He wanted this one updated and to stand alongside his “pro” output, so he re-recorded the whole thing in 2017.

So, yeah. New-old CSR

Severian 02.16.2018 09:19 PM

Also, I thought you were gonna learn about this band.

Kuhb 02.16.2018 10:12 PM

Is anyone a fan of (Sandy) Alex G? Another prolific lo-fi bedroom recorder who moved to a label after many years.

Some of the stuff is a bit cutesy for me but a great deal of his stuff I find to be brilliant. More interesting than CSH for me (although it's unfair to compare just because of their career trajectories)

For fans of Sparklehorse, Elliott Smith.

https://youtu.be/Afksp41Iaac

https://youtu.be/EN6EIIR5K0A

noisereductions 02.17.2018 12:18 AM

Quote:

Also, I thought you were gonna learn about this band.

I'm working on it

Severian 02.17.2018 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuhb
Is anyone a fan of (Sandy) Alex G? Another prolific lo-fi bedroom recorder who moved to a label after many years.

Some of the stuff is a bit cutesy for me but a great deal of his stuff I find to be brilliant. More interesting than CSH for me (although it's unfair to compare just because of their career trajectories)

For fans of Sparklehorse, Elliott Smith.

https://youtu.be/Afksp41Iaac

https://youtu.be/EN6EIIR5K0A

One of the worst names/monikers in history, and that was BEFORE he added (Sandy) to it for legal reasons, but yeah. He’s ok. I’ve heard some stuff of his that I really like, and some other stuff that’s just OK.

The Soup Nazi 02.20.2018 03:03 PM

Quote:

One of the worst names/monikers in history, and that was BEFORE he added (Sandy) to it for legal reasons

Still better than Portugal. The Man

Severian 02.20.2018 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Still better than Portugal. The Man

No, I disagree. At least you can say “Portugaltheman” and have it flow off the tongue. What the fuck am I supposed to do with a paranthetical (Sandy)? Depending on the style, the paranthetical could mean it’s actually not supposed to be pronounced!

I feel like “Portugal. The Man” translates better into spoken word than fucking “(Sandy) Alex G.” Also, why the fuck is THAT the way he alters his name? That’s a horrendous way to alter a goddamn name. How the fuck is it that FKA Twigs work it out, but apparently Alex G can’t?

ALSO also, “Alex G” is a totally garbage ass name in the first place! He should have just gone by his given name — which I’m guessing it’s Alex (something that starts with a G) — in full. Instead, he really bent over backwards to take an already shifty name and make it goddamn proposterous!!

AAAAHHH

WHY COULDNT VIET CONG STAY VIET CONG? I DONT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT PREOCCUPATIONS BUT I LOVED VIET CONG!!! They should have changed it to “Viet Congress.” Or just fucking left it. Fuck’s sake!!

The Soup Nazi 02.20.2018 05:09 PM

Quote:

No, I disagree. At least you can say “Portugaltheman” and have it flow off the tongue. What the fuck am I supposed to do with a paranthetical (Sandy)? Depending on the style, the paranthetical could mean it’s actually not supposed to be pronounced!

I feel like “Portugal. The Man” translates better into spoken word than fucking “(Sandy) Alex G.” Also, why the fuck is THAT the way he alters his name? That’s a horrendous way to alter a goddamn name. How the fuck is it that FKA Twigs work it out, but apparently Alex G can’t?

ALSO also, “Alex G” is a totally garbage ass name in the first place! He should have just gone by his given name — which I’m guessing it’s Alex (something that starts with a G) — in full. Instead, he really bent over backwards to take an already shifty name and make it goddamn proposterous!!

Portugal. The Man has A PERIOD IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FUCKING NAME. That surpasses everything you hate about this Sandy clown.

Kuhb 02.20.2018 08:32 PM

I think this is all distracting from the fact (Sandy) Alex G makes great music. He could be called Diarrhea Waterslide for all I care.

Severian 02.20.2018 09:38 PM

Quote:

I think this is all distracting from the fact (Sandy) Alex G makes great music. He could be called Diarrhea Waterslide for all I care.

THAT WOULD BE AN IMPROVEMENT!!!

To be fair though he does have some damn great songs. Specifically thinking of “Sarah,” from a couple of years ago. Reminds me of the best lo-fi bedroom pop of days past. Keys kick in at exactly the right moment for maximum effect. A spiritual offspring of Neutral Milk and some of the Elephant 6 stuff.

Severian 02.20.2018 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Portugal. The Man has A PERIOD IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FUCKING NAME. That surpasses everything you hate about this Sandy clown.

Yes yes I know. Very silly. But again, at least you know what to call them. “Portugaltheman.” Easy. Is it Alex G? Sandy Alex G? (Sandy) Alex G only when written? And again, Alex G was already terrible... adding the Sandy would have been fine (like maybe he’s a sandy blonde?) but adding a PARANTHETICAL WORD OF INDETERMINATE MEANING just makes it worse.

When “Portugaltheman” changes their name to make it even worse and more of a pain in the ass to read, write and say, then maybe I’ll concede that it’s worse.

Kuhb 02.21.2018 11:54 PM

New Speedy Ortiz, The Breeders, Belly, Hop Along and Screaming Females. I'm in female-fronted rock heaven

_slavo_ 02.22.2018 10:26 AM

Quote:

I like his music a lot. Rocket was a very entertaining album.

noisereductions 02.28.2018 05:27 PM

On April 20th, the labels will release Scratching the Door: The First Recordings of the Flaming Lips, a 19-track compilation of cuts from the band’s original lineup, which featured frontman Wayne Coyne’s brother, Mark, on vocals. This is the first time these songs—which are taken from the band’s first two cassette demos and first self-released EP—have ever been collected on a single release. There’s also a few covers, including The Who’s “Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere” and Led Zeppelin’s “Communication Breakdown”. Each song has been remastered from the original sources by longtime producer David Fridmann, as well as the Lips’ Coyne and Michael Ivins.

Severian 02.28.2018 09:07 PM

Quote:

On April 20th, the labels will release Scratching the Door: The First Recordings of the Flaming Lips, a 19-track compilation of cuts from the band’s original lineup, which featured frontman Wayne Coyne’s brother, Mark, on vocals. This is the first time these songs—which are taken from the band’s first two cassette demos and first self-released EP—have ever been collected on a single release. There’s also a few covers, including The Who’s “Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere” and Led Zeppelin’s “Communication Breakdown”. Each song has been remastered from the original sources by longtime producer David Fridmann, as well as the Lips’ Coyne and Michael Ivins.

Beat me to it.

noisereductions 02.28.2018 09:45 PM

Never a lull in Lips releases. And I'm ok with that.

Severian 03.01.2018 08:34 PM

Quote:

Never a lull in Lips releases. And I'm ok with that.

Archival releases excite me more than new albums at this point. Still need to revisit Oczy Mlody, but it was the first Lips album that didn’t stick with me all year.

The reissues are great. The Day They Shot a Hole in the Jesus Egg reignited my interested in the band, even though it was just Priest and Mushroom Tapes, remastered and in a fancy package.

noisereductions 03.01.2018 09:07 PM

Yeah well Mushroom Tapes is awesome.

Finally The Punk Rockers... Was huge for me when it came out too.

I like Oczy more than The Terror personally.

Severian 03.02.2018 12:16 PM

Quote:

Yeah well Mushroom Tapes is awesome.

Finally The Punk Rockers... Was huge for me when it came out too.

I like Oczy more than The Terror personally.

All those reissues are great.

I think I like The Terror more, but I don’t know. Listened to it a BUNCH when it first came out. Only spent about a week or two with Oczy before getting tired of it. But The Terror is a massive bummer, so I haven’t listened to it in years..

Severian 03.02.2018 09:41 PM

HOLY SHIT THERE’S A NEW BREEDERS ALBUM OUT!!!

Fuck me!

And it’s goddamn GOOD!