Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café V (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=112934)

louder 05.06.2016 07:09 AM

Ok this album is a snoozefest. Don't really get the hype.

noisereductions 05.06.2016 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
I think the same thing is true for Taylor v. Kendrick at the Grammys. In what fucking universe is 1984 album of the year over To Pimp a Butterfly? Seriously? Nothing against Swift here, but you'd have to be mad to think Kendrick wasn't absolutely robbed.


not to be that guy, but it's 1989. ;)



btw, new Aesop Rock album is solid.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 05.06.2016 09:53 AM

Why do you give any fucks about Grammy awards?? They're simply trophies awarded by the corporate media to the best sell outs! Personally when artists i like win Grammys it makes me depressed

louder 05.06.2016 10:37 AM

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/...eave-me-alone/

These girls can't sing or play their instruments, they only got famous because they look cute.. funny how shit works nowadays..

louder 05.06.2016 04:18 PM

Another new Radiohead song, another new video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTAU7lLDZYU

Much better than Burn the Witch. Album drops Sunday (May 8th).

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 05.06.2016 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
Another new Radiohead song, another new video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTAU7lLDZYU

Much better than Burn the Witch. Album drops Sunday (May 8th).

One of my students got me an Amazon card for teacher appreciation day with Radiohead's name on it

louder 05.06.2016 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
One of my students got me an Amazon card for teacher appreciation day with Radiohead's name on it

That's nice. :) Thoughts on "Daydreaming" (the new song)?

Severian 05.06.2016 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
Another new Radiohead song, another new video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTAU7lLDZYU

Much better than Burn the Witch. Album drops Sunday (May 8th).


Ok, so I was thinking about Inception before he opened the first door, and continued thinking about Inception throughout the video. Nice video.

Would have benefitted from casting someone other than Thom Yorke, though. The guy almost looks like my father, which is creepy. And I'm firmly against videos where the band are shown signing the song. It's ok sometimes... like if it's a performance based video like "the Empty Page" or "Bull in the Heather," and it's tolerable if the video's concept is solid enough (like in the "No Surprises" vid) but usually it's just boring.

I'm a "Rabbit in your headlights" kind of video fan. The whole video as short film thing. I think it's pretty boring to show the singer singing the song that the video is for. I know, everyone's done it — from the Beatles to Nirvana to Kanye — but I'm just over it.

Severian 05.06.2016 08:05 PM

I like "Daydreamers" ... I like its sort of abstract, spacey vibe. It's an interesting listen that doesn't go into minor keys or major diminished chord changes, or blow up into some anxious freak out. It's a rather sublime little song. I wish it had fewer lyrics, because I like the Aphex Twin-y synth scales and the spaciousness of the electronic atmosphere.

However... I actually think I like "Burn the Witch" better as a song at this point. I mean, "Daydreamers" sounds like it will be more of a "Subterranean Homesick Alien" kind of slow burner that grows on you over time, so maybe that will happen. But apart from the typical lyrics, I think "Burn the Witch" is a pretty interesting song, structurally. It seems to take its cue from the krautrock of TKOL, but the use of percussive strings instead of metronomic drums makes it feel like an extension of that style that I loved so much in songs like "Staircase" and "Separator."

So as far as videos go, Daydreamers FTW, even with Thom Yorke's fucked up young-Severian's-Dad looking ass wandering around in it. But song wise, I have to go with "BTW" at this juncture.

Severian 05.06.2016 08:09 PM

You know, because we all seem to have a lot to say about Radiohead, and because shit appears to be going down with the band for the first time in half a decade, maybe we should hand this discussion over to its own thread?

I love the café, but surely there are people who never come to this place (y'know... because it's basically our playground, and they're jealous and/or they don't like hip-hop) who would otherwise contribute to the conversation.

Up to you guys. I ain't makin' no thread.

Severian 05.06.2016 08:10 PM

Holy shit, the album's coming out in 2 fucking days? What. Awesome! I'm actually really excited!!

Severian 05.06.2016 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
Ok this album is a snoozefest. Don't really get the hype.


Nor do I. I've never been into James Blake, even though that honestly doesn't make sense, even to me. You'd think he'd be right up my alley. But you'd be wrong. His early stuff was ok, but I'd rather hear a million other non-Jamie Xx producer/songsmith dudes than Blake.

I remember when The Acid released their amazing debut album in 2014. I caught on early (it had elements of dub step, grime, dark R&B AND techno... I was helpless!) and I took it into my neighborhood record store and played it for my friends there, and someone said, "this is good... This is what I wish James Blake sounded like," and the owner snapped his fingers and said "that's it!"

Cool moment.

Ok, carry on

Severian 05.06.2016 08:36 PM

Also, "Weird Fishes/Arpeggi" is one of my all time favorite Radiohead songs. That one's not a total fucking bummer.

Kinda want to do my top ten Radiohead tracks now. We doin' a Radiothread or not?

louder 05.07.2016 12:58 PM

Weird Fishes/Arpeggi is amazing! I need to revisit Kid A and In Rainbows today, before the new album drops. :) I'm all for a Radiohead thread, even though I don't mind discussing them here either.. but if that'll bring more people to participate, sure.

Severian 05.07.2016 02:37 PM

It's just that I think "hip hop café" may be losing some of its meaning. I don't mind taking about other shit here, but let's not lose our hip hop thread. You know... just in case any more good hip hop happens to come out this year (unlikely).

louder 05.07.2016 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
It's just that I think "hip hop café" may be losing some of its meaning. I don't mind taking about other shit here, but let's not lose our hip hop thread. You know... just in case any more good hip hop happens to come out this year (unlikely).

Hey, "Chance 3" drops next Friday. If it's not GREAT, then I'll lose some hope.

pepper_green 05.07.2016 06:45 PM

hip hop claff? smut mop bath. you jerks have an unlimited amount of nerves to listen to a bunch of assholes rhyme. I fantasize about someone like Eminem dying. I'll be like "fuck that white jerk ass hole". can you imagine the white trash crying over his death? or Jay Z. "yeah, dat nigga was ok but made money". touched my soul. don't give a fuck/care about any of them. if they disappeared tomorrow it would not effect my world while shitting in a bed pan and jackin it on Viagra.

see, im not scared to step in the café and speak my mind. others are. they want too but, they scared. I say it and spray it. it's a foreverrebeccagotpepperedgreen thang.

Severian 05.07.2016 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
Hey, "Chance 3" drops next Friday. If it's not GREAT, then I'll lose some hope.


Oh yeah! Yes of course! I was actually including that in the batch of great hip hop releases we've already had, along with Ye, K and Bey.

Slow year for newbies ... Or I'm just getting old.

Severian 05.07.2016 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepper_green
hip hop claff? smut mop bath. you jerks have an unlimited amount of nerves to listen to a bunch of assholes rhyme. I fantasize about someone like Eminem dying. I'll be like "fuck that white jerk ass hole". can you imagine the white trash crying over his death? or Jay Z. "yeah, dat nigga was ok but made money". touched my soul. don't give a fuck/care about any of them. if they disappeared tomorrow it would not effect my world while shitting in a bed pan and jackin it on Viagra.

see, im not scared to step in the café and speak my mind. others are. they want too but, they scared. I say it and spray it. it's a foreverrebeccagotpepperedgreen thang.


You are so full of it bro.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 05.07.2016 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Also, "Weird Fishes/Arpeggi" is one of my all time favorite Radiohead songs. That one's not a total fucking bummer.

Kinda want to do my top ten Radiohead tracks now. We doin' a Radiothread or not?

Yes. Weird Fishes is an all time good song


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content ©2006 Sonic Youth