Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café V (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=112934)

louder 01.26.2016 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
switching gears a sec - what do you guys think of the Anderson Paak album? It seems pretty cool, though I've only heard about half of it so far.

Very good. The production reminds me of TPAB kinda sorta, his voice might is an acquired taste for some people though.

However I'm more excited for BJ the Chicago Kid's debut on Motown next month. The best singer out of the "newschool" R&B in my opinion.

Severian 01.26.2016 01:34 PM

Quote:

I hope that's true. I hate random stray singles. I like to listen to full length collections.

I love that Madlib made it to a Kanye album tho.

Madlib X Kanye was one of those fanciful collaboration dreams that I thought would never actually happen. Not only are they from entirely different hemispheres of the hip-hop world, but they're also like equal opposites in a way. I just never imagined they'd have much to bond over. Until I saw that Stones Throw doc and Kanye started to get outspoken about how huge of an influence Dilla was for him.

I think there's almost no end to the list of awesome things they could potentiall do together. Every scenario I can come up with is Fucking incredible.

"Watch the Stone" by Kanye West and Madlib. Eh? Ehh?

noisereductions 01.26.2016 10:24 PM

noisereductions 01.26.2016 10:26 PM

sev got his wish. Not called "Swish"

noise (maybe) got his wish: A$VP Flacko Jodye ?!?!?

louder 01.26.2016 10:28 PM

Yeah. Congrats dudes.. http://m.pitchfork.com/news/63166-ka...le-once-again/

Waves.. waves. I hope I'll get used to it.

LOLOLOLOL at those Wavves and John Misty tweets.

noisereductions 01.26.2016 10:46 PM

it's a weird title. About as arbitrary as Swish was. But whatever. I'm just excited to hear the damn thing.

louder 01.27.2016 01:02 AM

According to that pic, Kanye added another song.. wouldn't even be surprised if he's gonna add more than that.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 01.27.2016 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Dooom
"...your chick has the face of a gorilla.."

I love this fool

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 01.27.2016 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Dooom
"...your chick has the face of a gorilla.."

I love this fool

Rob Instigator 01.27.2016 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepper_green
YAY!! now we can stop riding ATL mumbling mush mouth rappers and get to the real shit.

uh, how bout that? I had to google Young Thung and, how about that! he's from ATL. I would have never guessed that ever. in a 1,000,000 years.

omg, Future is from ATL too!!! holy shit!!!! with a name like that, I was thinking he was from Monterey or Saint Luiee. with the mush mouth and all. well I be damned!! how bout those apples!

my mind is bloooown. apart. learn something new ever day.

all the bumpin shit comes out of Magic City strip Club, ATL

noisereductions 01.27.2016 09:44 AM

I listened to the new Snoop/Daz album, Cuzznz. It's not good. I don't know, I'm usually more excited about Snoop's weird indie label releases and side projects than his albums proper these days. Stuff like the album he did w/ Wiz Khalifa for instance. That was an awesome album. I guess I was hoping that this duo would be more akin to DJ Quik & Kurupt's Blaqkout which was incredible. Oh well.

Rob Instigator 01.27.2016 09:47 AM

Quote:

I listened to the new Snoop/Daz album, Cuzznz. It's not good. I don't know, I'm usually more excited about Snoop's weird indie label releases and side projects than his albums proper these days. Stuff like the album he did w/ Wiz Khalifa for instance. That was an awesome album. I guess I was hoping that this duo would be more akin to DJ Quik & Kurupt's Blaqkout which was incredible. Oh well.

what about Snoop and Psy? https://youtu.be/HkMNOlYcpHg

Severian 01.27.2016 12:52 PM

"I once was Swish, but now I'm Waves,
Was lame, but now I'm cool."

-- Kanye West's new album, singing... in a baptist church or whatever.

louder 01.27.2016 02:14 PM

The tracklist got updated: https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/692415925618868224

Nina Chop became Famous, Father Stretch My Hands has two parts now and he added another song at the end.

Severian 01.27.2016 06:46 PM

Awesome!

The new title is definitely an upgrade. I still think So Help Me God was the most Kanye-esque of the bunch. But it's also a fairly typical (ok, extremely goddamn typical) phrase.

"Waves" or "WAVES" is more open... and I see he's added a sequence to the album. So really, we could be heading into just about anything at this point. I'm hoping for kind of an Abbey Road-like epic seque-based record with repeated themes and whatnot.

When he thanked Madlib for the beats disc and added the hashtag #Scary, I thought that might end up being the title. Which would admittedly be pretty goddamn awesome. But I guess he was jus referring to how "scary" good the beats were.

I'M SO PUMPED, DUDES! You have no idea!!!

Actually you're the only people in the world who have any idea. I don't have many friends who share my love-bordering-on-obsession for Kanye. My girlfriend tolerates him well enough, and likes a lot of his shit, but if I bring him up in public things always get weird. Someone insults him and I laugh it off, then get mad at myself for how angry I actually get. I want to slap them and say, "do you have any idea how conplex his music really is you dumb twat? No! Go listen to some more Mumford and Sons and feel good about yourself."

Severian 01.27.2016 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepper_green
^^ calm down dude. shit! load up on meds when WAVES drop.

Ok.

noisereductions 01.28.2016 08:43 AM

I gotta tell you, I really don't understand this trend...

Rihanna's new album dropped today. None of the 3 singles she released leading up to it are on the album. This seems like the new norm. It makes no (business) sense to me. Maybe that is because when we all grew up singles were promotional devices... to sell your album. A music video was a commercial - for your album. So your singles were on your album. That made sense, right?

But more and more it seems to just not be normal anymore. Go back to 2008/2009. Weezy put out "Hot Revolver" which was a single for Rebirth. It had the rock/rap sound. It would have fit on the album both thematically and minutes-wise. Baffling it was left off the final album. Yet was included on IANAHB2 years later. Why?

What about Drake's YOLO song? Same deal.

Maybe the worst offender was The Game's Red Album. What did he put out? 5 or 6 singles for that thing that didn't end up on the album? (Although the history of that album is a crazy mess... I mean he ended up dropping like 5 mixtapes of outtakes material just from those sessions...)

But anyway, my point is just I don't get this new way of doing things. Artist puts out a song. You like it. The album comes out and that song isn't on it. How does that help record sales?

louder 01.28.2016 09:29 AM

It just goes to show that the way Rihanna's label handled her album campaign and promotion was a mess. She had to release the album for free cuz she knew it wouldn't sell, which would be embarrassing for her since she's a pop star.

louder 01.28.2016 09:30 AM

KING's debut (a female indie R&B/Soul group) is out and it should be amazing, please listen to it guys cuz I know y'all appreciate true talent: http://www.npr.org/2016/01/27/464592...ng-we-are-king

Severian 01.28.2016 11:56 AM

Quote:

I gotta tell you, I really don't understand this trend...

Rihanna's new album dropped today. None of the 3 singles she released leading up to it are on the album. This seems like the new norm. It makes no (business) sense to me. Maybe that is because when we all grew up singles were promotional devices... to sell your album. A music video was a commercial - for your album. So your singles were on your album. That made sense, right?

But more and more it seems to just not be normal anymore. Go back to 2008/2009. Weezy put out "Hot Revolver" which was a single for Rebirth. It had the rock/rap sound. It would have fit on the album both thematically and minutes-wise. Baffling it was left off the final album. Yet was included on IANAHB2 years later. Why?

What about Drake's YOLO song? Same deal.

Maybe the worst offender was The Game's Red Album. What did he put out? 5 or 6 singles for that thing that didn't end up on the album? (Although the history of that album is a crazy mess... I mean he ended up dropping like 5 mixtapes of outtakes material just from those sessions...)

But anyway, my point is just I don't get this new way of doing things. Artist puts out a song. You like it. The album comes out and that song isn't on it. How does that help record sales?

Whoah, you mean "Bitch better have my money" and "four fice seconds" -- two songs that were very explicitly stated to be on the upcoming Rhianna album -- aren't fucking on it?

I think part of this trend was actually started by (who else) our dear Mr. West. Kanye has always known how to "pilot test" an album and he's released singles that didn't end up on the resulting album many times in his career.

It's actually a great way to measure public opinion of material before dropping the actual album. I think that he chose to include the GOOD Fridays tracks that received the best feedback from fans on MBDTF. I actually believe that he did have an album finished in November of 2014, like he said he did, and I believe it contained a lot of the singles we heard in 2015. I think "So Help Me God" was a totally different album than Waves. It's like he focus grouped the songs and decided to scrap that attempt when they were met with kind of a like warm reaction.

Also, non-album singles have played a pretty big part in the history of pop music. The Beatles did this all the time. So did the Stones, but the Beatles turned it into sort of a pastime that's still practiced in Britain, thanks to a history of bands like T. Rex, Stone Roses and Blur using the single as a separate but still very important marketing vehicle from the album.

I think modern day hip-hop is actually following a lot of the trends of classic zeitgeist capturing British pop. You notice how much material some of these artists put out? How infrequently they go more than 1 year without releasing an album? How often they drop one a year, sometimes more, with countless mixtapes to boot?

Frankly, I don't really mind. Unless it's just plain shit music. Or great albums pop up once in a while amid a flurry of super missable, basic, boring songs and mixtapes. Look at Young Thug and and Future. I know that a lot of the material these guys drop is mixtape-level, but shit, they come out with *so much shit* it boggles the mind.

Plus, look at Drake. The man's having quite a bit of success with singles and collabs. Put out at a breakneck pace, I should add.

To me, it's not super annoying unless it's an artist I really love. So yeah, when Kanye released a bunch of single tracks... that irritated me. Not because the tracks aren't on the album, but because I don't really care about individual songs, especially when I've been waiting for an album for two years.

It's like.... imagine you're about to orgasm and woohoo!! but then all that happens is you sneeze. 😑
Yeah, sneezing is nice, right? Kind of a pleasant release. But... you know... in that context, it's just not what you're looking for at all. That's what the endless stream of singles and tracks (especially duds like FACTS) were like for me. You can only listen to one song so many times without sarting to hate it. So yes new individual tracks were nice, but I was all clogged up and needed something else entirely.

Gross imagery, I know. But apt.