Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café V (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=112934)

noisereductions 01.28.2016 12:07 PM

yeah my problem is more that these singles end up sort of forgotten in a sense. I would have loved for Kanye to release all those GOOD Friday tracks as a compilation album back then. Y'know? That sort of thing. I don't mind stray singles if they end up eventually compiled.

Rob Instigator 01.28.2016 12:14 PM

Beatles did this with Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields..... then threw them into Magical Mystery Tour

Severian 01.28.2016 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Beatles did this with Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields..... then threw them into Magical Mystery Tour

All of the following songs (and more) were originally released either as standalone singles, b-sides, or singles that were later attached to an album in just the UK, just the US, or as completely different songs.

From Me To You
Thank You Girl
She Loves You
She's A Woman
Love Me Do
This Boy
I'll Get You
I Call Your Name
I Want To Hold Your Hand
The Inner Light
The Ballad Of John And Yoko
Old Brown Shoe
Hey Jude
Lady Madonna
Revolution
Get Back
Day Tripper
We Can Work It Out
Paperback Writer
I Feel Fine
Yes It Is
I'm Down
Rain
Don't Let Me Down

Also "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love" - both technically non-album tracks that were reworked for one of the Anthologies. "Real Love" first appeared on the Imagine soundtrack. So, also not technically an album.

It gets pretty confusing with the different line-ups for the UK and US versions of the albums, and with the UK albums that just never appeared in the US, or did so under a different name with a different track list.

I mean, just check Wikipedia.

noisereductions 01.28.2016 01:38 PM

I always hated trying to make sense of their discography before the US and UK albums were the same.

Severian 01.28.2016 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
I always hated trying to make sense of their discography before the US and UK albums were the same.

Yeah, I had some serious difficulty with it when they started selling the UK versions here. I grew up listening to my dad's LP's from the '60s. There really is no simple way to sum up how complicated things got over the years with Capitol VS. Parlaphone and UA. But this quote from Ultimate Hard Rock's Beatles UK/US album guide at least shows how it started:

By the time the Beatles reached America, their record company, Parlophone/EMI, had already released two albums and a handful of singles in their native England...
U.S. albums rarely included more than 12 songs (possibly out of fear of fidelity loss due to “groove-cramming”), and all of the U.K. albums contained 14 tracks. Then there was the matter of the non-LP singles, a practice common in the U.K. but not in the U.S. Capitol needed a place to put hits like ‘I Want to Hold Your Hand’ and ‘She Loves You.’ In those first few years, the Beatles operated under a breakneck schedule of a new single every three months and a new LP every six months...
Complicating matters even more was the issue of ‘Introducing . . . the Beatles,’ a near-repackaging of their U.K. debut, ‘Please Please Me,’ which was licensed to Vee-Jay Records when Capitol passed on it in the summer of 1963. As part of a lawsuit settlement, the rights to those songs were transferred to Capitol in October 1964 – a year and a half after they were released overseas.

When the Beatles first issued their entire catalog on CD in 1987, they decided to streamline their records once and for all, and only the original U.K. albums were released (except for ‘Magical Mystery Tour'; see below for explanation). While this may have confused American fans who couldn’t get ‘Beatles VI’ or bought ‘Rubber Soul’ expecting to hear it begin with ‘I’ve Just Seen a Face’ only to get ‘Drive My Car’ instead, it ended their messy catalog headache for good.

Until 2004 that is, when Capitol put out a box of the group’s first four U.S. records, replicating track listings and artwork, and followed it up two years later with the next four albums. And now there’s ‘The U.S. Albums,’ which compiles Capitol’s 12 LPs (including the first CD appearance of ‘The Beatles Story,’ a two-record cash-grab from 1964 made up of interviews and press conferences) and the soundtrack to ‘A Hard Day’s Night,’ which originally came out on United Artists. We’ve compiled this guide to the Beatles’ U.S. albums, showing how their label assembled them from what was available.

*headache*

noisereductions 01.28.2016 05:19 PM

ugh. That. Yeah. Such a horrible mess.

louder 01.28.2016 06:29 PM

http://pitchfork.com/news/63216-mart...ah-diss-video/

This is so stupid.. and it's all RZA's fault. That's what happens when you sell out and do dumb shit for money.

noisereductions 01.29.2016 12:28 AM

yeah it's a stupid mess.

Severian 01.29.2016 12:31 AM

Oh my fucking God.

I never thought I'd say this, but FUCK RZA.

He was like a holy man to me for years and years and years, and he was behind the boards and the mic on four of the best hip-hop albums ever made. The influence of the Wu-Tang Clan on me has been tremendous, and I've been a fan since the beginning. But... Jesus Christ man... FUCK. RZA.

Side note: Ghost is the only part of the Clan that is still relevant in modern hip-hop. I still have nothing but love for Meth, Deck, GZA and Raekwon (who used to be the Clan's all-star talent, but now seems to be satisfied with releasing mediocre material).

Let's face it, there is no Wu-Tang Clan anymore. There's just Ghostface. He's the only one still trying. And he continues to try, despite the occasional flop.

Shkreli is going to end up in prison. We're never going to hear the album. Rza's sold his soul and A Better Tommorrow was like the Wu-Tang equivalent of Squeeze. (Much better than Squeeze, but you take my meaning.)

I can't believe that just four years ago I was actually stressing about the fact that I was starting to prefer Kanye to the Clan.

In the (adapted) immortal words of John Lennon:
"I don't believe in [Wu-Tang]
I just believe, in me... [Ghostface] and me
The dream is over."

louder 01.29.2016 07:50 AM

Cole just dropped a live version of his last album and it's great, way better than the original: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fo...m/id1078337231

noisereductions 01.29.2016 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
Cole just dropped a live version of his last album and it's great, way better than the original: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fo...m/id1078337231

woah nice. I liked that album a lot. The live one is on Spotify. Will check it out.

louder 01.29.2016 10:43 AM

"RZA Of Wu-Tang Clan Says Black People Should STOP SCARING COPS and DRESS PROPERLY!!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsFmlJ0N6H8

Yeah, fuck RZA.

Rob Instigator 01.29.2016 11:08 AM

so you guys do not like Rich Homie Quan?

I like the mumbles....

Severian 01.29.2016 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
so you guys do not like Rich Homie Quan?

I like the mumbles....

Depends... I liked some of the early projects he did with Young Thug, like Tha Tour pt.1, and he did a tape with Gucci that was alright, but I haven't heard anything recently that captured or held my interest.

Really, I have no freaking idea what he's up to these days, so I have no idea whether or not I like him now. Probably not. I'm disliking a lot of shit right now.

louder 01.29.2016 11:57 AM

Tha Tour Pt. 1 was great. Kinda lost interest in both afterwards.

louder 01.29.2016 11:59 AM

Thug drops a hot song every now and then, but his lack of quality control is the reason I can't be bothered to keep up anymore.

louder 01.29.2016 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
woah nice. I liked that album a lot. The live one is on Spotify. Will check it out.

Yeah, Cole is a great performer.. very passionate, and he adds energy to each song which I felt was missing on some of the original record.

Severian 01.29.2016 12:08 PM

Quote:

Thug drops a hot song every now and then, but his lack of quality control is the reason I can't be bothered to keep up anymore.

Yeah. I was super stoked about his studio debut (you remember that? When we were excited about that wank?) but the first sign of trouble was when he wanted to take a shit on Wayne by calling it The Carter 6. I was like, what the fuck? There's no rapper Thug is more indebted to than Wayne at his schizophrenic, scatological peak! Then he calls it "Barter 6" (which means... nothing) and pisses out rainbows on the cover. He got so much attention for that stunt, that nobody noticed how dismally terrible the album was!

Now Pitchfork sucks on his dick so hard it's insufferable. Acting like he's the Salvador Dali of hip-hop. He's just another one of Birdman's bitches, and he's getting no love from me.

Rob Instigator 01.29.2016 12:13 PM

Young Thug I have enjoyed in small doses as a guest on other's tracks, but his own tracks are dull

I can't get down in the DM out my head though.... (diff guy, I know)

facetime me that pussy, snapchat me that pussy, if it's cool....

I love da 'Gram I love da 'Gram, I'm addicted to it I know I am....

Rob Instigator 01.29.2016 12:14 PM

what a world to live in, If I was 19 years old today? sheeeiiittt.......

louder 01.29.2016 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah. I was super stoked about his studio debut (you remember that? When we were excited about that wank?) but the first sign of trouble was when he wanted to take a shit on Wayne by calling it The Carter 6. I was like, what the fuck? There's no rapper Thug is more indebted to than Wayne at his schizophrenic, scatological peak! Then he calls it "Barter 6" (which means... nothing) and pisses out rainbows on the cover. He got so much attention for that stunt, that nobody noticed how dismally terrible the album was!

Now Pitchfork sucks on his dick so hard it's insufferable. Acting like he's the Salvador Dali of hip-hop. He's just another one of Birdman's bitches, and he's getting no love from me.

Yeah, Barter 6 was such a letdown. Do you think they get paid for promoting him? They called him the best lyricist in the game.. like this guy keeps using the same words and says nothing on his songs. Cmon Pitchfork.

Rob Instigator 01.29.2016 12:23 PM

pitchfork writers are mostly trust fund white kids. Just like the Saturday Night Live writers....

louder 01.29.2016 12:24 PM

I feel like the Young Thug worshipping is almost ironic. He's a novelty act.

louder 01.29.2016 12:26 PM

I don't even see him as an artist because his mixtapes are a random compilation of songs with no direction.

Severian 01.29.2016 12:40 PM

Quote:

Yeah, Cole is a great performer.. very passionate, and he adds energy to each song which I felt was missing on some of the original record.

Haven't heard the live yet, but I was pleasantly surprised by the original album. At best, Born Sinner was just a bit of ear candy for when I was out of ideas about what to listen to. It was a pleasant but derivative album, and while it made for some good radio hip hop, it really wasn't my thing. He didn't say or do anything that Kanye didn't do better on his first two albums.

But 2014 Forest Hills Drive was an authentic and genuinely GOOD album. Right off the bat, it sounded so much more developed and mature than Born Sinner. So, I really dug the studio version. Not usually super into live rap albums, but I'll check out the new one for sure.

Severian 01.29.2016 12:54 PM

Quote:

I feel like the Young Thug worshipping is almost ironic. He's a novelty act.

Not to them. In one spread they had this big psychedelic graphic of thug with a skull face surrounded by swirls and acid imagery.... Titled the "(something something) World of Young Thug" (or something). It was like the kind of thing you'd see in a Rolling Stone article about 30 years of the Flaming Lips. In fact, that's exactly what I thought of. It was so reverent, with this "this guy's the real deal of musical experimentation" vibe. Again, like something from Fearless Freaks. Or a Zappa piece.

As a Flaming Lips fanatic and Zappa lover, I was insulted.

louder 01.29.2016 01:18 PM

Quote:

Haven't heard the live yet, but I was pleasantly surprised by the original album. At best, Born Sinner was just a bit of ear candy for when I was out of ideas about what to listen to. It was a pleasant but derivative album, and while it made for some good radio hip hop, it really wasn't my thing. He didn't say or do anything that Kanye didn't do better on his first two albums.

But 2014 Forest Hills Drive was an authentic and genuinely GOOD album. Right off the bat, it sounded so much more developed and mature than Born Sinner. So, I really dug the studio version. Not usually super into live rap albums, but I'll check out the new one for sure.

Yeah man.. I always had a soft spot for Cole, but I was waiting for him to make a really good album so I could make it official. It took him 3 attempts, but he finally did it.

louder 01.29.2016 01:23 PM

Quote:

Not to them. In one spread they had this big psychedelic graphic of thug with a skull face surrounded by swirls and acid imagery.... Titled the "(something something) World of Young Thug" (or something). It was like the kind of thing you'd see in a Rolling Stone article about 30 years of the Flaming Lips. In fact, that's exactly what I thought of. It was so reverent, with this "this guy's the real deal of musical experimentation" vibe. Again, like something from Fearless Freaks. Or a Zappa piece.

As a Flaming Lips fanatic and Zappa lover, I was insulted.

*facepalm*

As if we all haven't seen Lil Wayne going through a drugged out phase 10 years ago and experimenting with his sound.. but Wayne sounded coherent and put hard work on his craft. Thugger said he doesn't even write down his lyrics and makes every song in 5 minutes.

louder 01.29.2016 04:10 PM

@ Rob

Kevin Gates dropped his debut album today, titled "Islah". Gonna listen soon.

Rob Instigator 01.29.2016 04:33 PM

sweet. He has like ten years into this huh? did it old school. Kevin Gates hustled to build rep in Baton Rouge LA. then greater LA. then Houston and the dirty south. way to go.

Rob Instigator 01.29.2016 04:36 PM

http://kevingat.es/?p=4211

I left a copy of my new album – under the name #islah at – Hotel ZAZA IN #Houston – the first person get there and get it it’s yours – I love you all -May Peace Be Upon You ❤️

louder 01.29.2016 04:48 PM

Great short interview with him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQLc7J92VQM

Severian 01.29.2016 05:23 PM

Quote:

*facepalm*

As if we all haven't seen Lil Wayne going through a drugged out phase 10 years ago and experimenting with his sound.. but Wayne sounded coherent and put hard work on his craft. Thugger said he doesn't even write down his lyrics and makes every song in 5 minutes.

Well, to be fair both Jay Z and Kanye have made similar claims, and it sounded super badass with respect to them (especially Jay- the idea that the Black Album was just freestyled blows my mind).

So maybe this is just our biases coming into play. But yeah that sounds hella dumb that Thug does that. He claims to not be familiar with Jay. Says that's just not his era. ... what does that mean, exactly? Is he like nine years old?

louder 01.29.2016 05:41 PM

You're absolutely right, but Jay has photographic memory and Kanye is a perfectionist.. Thug sucks when he tries to freestyle on radio shows which makes me assume he might have a writer. But who knows.

Severian 01.29.2016 06:15 PM

Quote:

You're absolutely right, but Jay has photographic memory and Kanye is a perfectionist.. Thug sucks when he tries to freestyle on radio shows which makes me assume he might have a writer. But who knows.

Dude... Being Young Thug's ghost writer would *literally* be the easiest job in the world. In fact, I don't even buy that anyone would employ someone to write such shit when they could just as easily pay someone to write well.

Now, Drake having a writer I almost buy. Drake's lyrics are like one-liners, and they have a stand-up comic's timing. But I think Drake is just a trained performer, and is capable of pulling off that kind of thing on his own. Acting and singling lessons are definitely things I can see him paying for on a regular basis.

But I don't get it... If young thug has a ghost writer, why is ANYONE above the age of twelve unemployed in this country? You know?

Severian 01.29.2016 06:20 PM

Jay freestyles like a monster. I think he might just be done with rapping at this point, but in his prime, he had the ferocity of an underground rap battle King. He was all ambition. I truly think of him as the Muhammad Ali of hip-hop.

Severian 01.29.2016 06:24 PM

Kanye to Wiz Khalifa:

"So you own waves now?? I own your child!!!"

Totally reasonable, proportionate response. Funny as hell though. I don't care how much of an ass he makes of himself, Kanye is and always will be infinitely more charming and memorable than MOR rappers like Wiz.

Watching that Twitter feud was like watching a low-wattage light bulb try to duke it out with the sun.

Severian 01.29.2016 06:28 PM

Kanye West to appear on SNL this weekend, y'all.

I'm saying a lot of things right now!

louder 01.29.2016 07:15 PM

Quote:

Dude... Being Young Thug's ghost writer would *literally* be the easiest job in the world. In fact, I don't even buy that anyone would employ someone to write such shit when they could just as easily pay someone to write well.

Now, Drake having a writer I almost buy. Drake's lyrics are like one-liners, and they have a stand-up comic's timing. But I think Drake is just a trained performer, and is capable of pulling off that kind of thing on his own. Acting and singling lessons are definitely things I can see him paying for on a regular basis.

But I don't get it... If young thug has a ghost writer, why is ANYONE above the age of twelve unemployed in this country? You know?

LOL

noisereductions 01.29.2016 07:22 PM

I like Wiz though. He's not super talented. But I like his flow.