Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   ATP festival! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=8841)

_slavo_ 12.12.2006 09:43 AM

Steve starts to look old.

sonicl 12.12.2006 09:47 AM

^
But he still looks younger than me :(

_slavo_ 12.12.2006 09:48 AM

I'm not sure, sonicl.

whorefrost 12.12.2006 09:48 AM

DOUBLE LEOPARDS

whorefrost 12.12.2006 09:49 AM

LESLIE KEFFER

MV + EE w/ the Bummer Road

whorefrost 12.12.2006 09:50 AM

THURSTON MOORE

whorefrost 12.12.2006 09:51 AM

NELS CLINE

WOLF EYES

whorefrost 12.12.2006 09:52 AM

MONOTRACT

MOUTHUS

whorefrost 12.12.2006 09:53 AM

Toxic Johnny + Whorefrost

screamingskull 12.12.2006 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenlight
steve sheley told me that they're going to tour europe much more next year, which is great.

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

we will have to do a london meet up.

porkmarras 12.12.2006 10:16 AM

Johnny,you've lost a lot of weight since i last met you.

Savage Clone 12.12.2006 10:24 AM

I was gonna say the same. TJ looking much thinner these days!

societyisahole 12.12.2006 10:28 AM

This was one motherfucker of a weekend, the only negative aspect was the queues. But saying that, how many other festivals would get the bands to play twice because of queues? Excellent stuff.

I saw the Friday SY show, what a setlist! Melvins, Flipper and The Stooges were also excellent. Dinosaur stole it for me on the Saturday, although Gang of Four were pretty excellent too. Oh, and Comets on Fire. I was slightly lazy on the Sunday but checked out Awesome Colour, who were pretty good. I left half way through Wolf Eyes (they confirmed my view that they're pretentious nonsense). Negative Approach were disappointing. I didn't even get to see MC5 because i couldn't be bothered to queue, so I went to see Be Your Own Pet, who were a bit of mess (but it was still fun).

How did you guys get into both SY and Dinosaur shows?

screamingskull 12.12.2006 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by societyisahole
This was one motherfucker of a weekend, the only negative aspect was the queues. But saying that, how many other festivals would get the bands to play twice because of queues? Excellent stuff.

about how many people go to ATP? and how many stages are there.

TJ is pretty cute, (from what ive seen) and he's a photographer which gives him extra points.

societyisahole 12.12.2006 10:39 AM

True, I'm not complaining anyway. I'm sure they'll sort it out for next time.

sonicl 12.12.2006 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by screamingskull
TJ is pretty cute, (from what ive seen)

Hey!!! How come you didn't call me cute????

screamingskull 12.12.2006 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
Hey!!! How come you didn't call me cute????

where are you?????? show me a picture.

sonicl 12.12.2006 10:53 AM

Quote:

where are you?????? show me a picture.

Page two, second post. You have an hour to find the right words to say :)

screamingskull 12.12.2006 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
Page two, second post. You have an hour to find the right words to say :)

you're cute too!, but standing next to Lee mmmmm, Lee is just heavenly.

Kyohan 12.12.2006 11:13 AM

Quote:

How did you guys get into both SY and Dinosaur shows?

The Sunday Dinosaur show was actually pretty easy to get into. I just waited til the set started when the queue had gone and there was plenty of space.
I just kind of blagged into the 2nd SY show ;)
The queues were a bit of a pain, but I wasn't too badly affected by them cos I got in really early for anyone I especially wanted to see. It meant I had to spend a lot of time at the main stage and didn't get to check out a lot of interesting stuff elsewhere, but with the quality of gigs I saw over the weekend, I really can't complain!

societyisahole 12.12.2006 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyohan
The Sunday Dinosaur show was actually pretty easy to get into. I just waited til the set started when the queue had gone and there was plenty of space.
I just kind of blagged into the 2nd SY show ;)
The queues were a bit of a pain, but I wasn't too badly affected by them cos I got in really early for anyone I especially wanted to see. It meant I had to spend a lot of time at the main stage and didn't get to check out a lot of interesting stuff elsewhere, but with the quality of gigs I saw over the weekend, I really can't complain!

Argh, they played Candle on Saturday too! Damnit, that's my favourite song. I just didn't think I'd have a hope of getting in. Oh well, it was still an amazing weekend.

Kyohan 12.12.2006 11:43 AM

Quote:

Argh, they played Candle on Saturday too! Damnit, that's my favourite song. I just didn't think I'd have a hope of getting in. Oh well, it was still an amazing weekend.

I missed Candle, cos I wanted to wait til they started to see if there was room once everyone who missed them on Friday night got in. They had just started Reena when I got in.
Both sets were great I thought, but I slightly preferred Friday's - probably cos of Shaking Hell and Eric's Trip! I didn't pick up on the lack of energy some others have mentioned at all. In fact, it was the first time I've seen SY in around 14 years and I was amazed how good they still sound live.

h8kurdt 12.12.2006 11:48 AM

Just to keep this thread going and to rub it in

Highlights

"****ING GAYS! EVERYONE IS SO FUCKING GAY"
Chloe the photographer. If anyone knows her tell me!
Naked wanderings
Naked,stoned wanderings
Meeting Lee Ranaldo and him takin pics of my tat

Chloe again
Serious sexual frustration
Meeting new people in general

o o o 12.12.2006 11:54 AM

hello greenlight! sorry, i only realise now who you are/were... so i apologise if i didn't properly say hello and talked to you. by the way, i hope that sonicl did not mind me jumping on him in the queue saying "hey, are you sonicl??!!?!", for some reason i had the feeling later in the evening that i scared him a bit when doing that... then again, it would have been ridiculous to stay right behind you in the queue once i had identified you... and i had a lot of those ridiculous situations during this week-end as i saw many of you many times - but really was too shy to say hello in any way...

thanks a lot for the pictures everyone! i did not take any, so i'm glad to see yours for memories...

yes, SY set really felt too short on friday, but i guess one could have predicted that since they were stuck between two bands on the program... oh and bark haze was nice, true. regarding wolf eyes, i felt like the last time i saw them: i absolutely loved their growing buzzing crackling industrial moments + sax but could not get into them when they were singing/screaming... so it was strange overall. the guy with the red wig from shotm was next to me and did enjoy it. "brilliant, they are fucking brilliant!", that's what he said (well, if i remember correctly and provided that i did not misunderstood him). he probably was with other members of shotm, but i would not have not been able to recognise them then. oh and did anyone go to the wolf eyes party at their chalet?

so i hear gang of four were excellent? i'm even more gutted that i missed them now!

Quote:

about how many people go to ATP? and how many stages are there.

i think there were 6000 people and three stages... a big one and two smaller ones (the bigger one supposedly could not contain more than 3000 people... and there were a lot of people when the bigger names were playing)...

oh yes, it would have been sooooo fantastic if les rallizes denudes could have come... and i would have been immensely disappointed if i had to miss them because of the queuing... i guess they are not popular to the point that people would come in droves to see them - well, who knows? - but if say a band like dinosaur jr. or the stooges were playing right after, one could have missed them because of all the people coming early for the subsequent show...

but i know that it was the first time they organised it on this site, so it should have been hard to organise, and they managed to get bands play two times hwen this occured, so i really should not complain.

so yes, thanks a lot to thurston and barry and the atp people for the wonderful week-end!

o o o 12.12.2006 12:00 PM

dinosaur jr. on sunday was indeed really strange as i just had woken up and felt a bit uncomfortable going back in a dark smoky room just after going out of bed... but i still liked it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iain
And then I ate some fish and chips which were pretty mediocre at best.

i assume it was at that finnegan's place: the first thing i ate at minehead was a quite disgusting fish & chips from there. i also had a disgusting cappuccino during the week-end. i'm quite happy i can eat properly now that i'm back.

jon boy 12.12.2006 12:09 PM

dinosaur were good on the sunday but j seemed annoyed at having to get up and play. they were fucking loud too, a bit too much at that time of day to be honest.

the only thing that was bad about atp was the waiting to get into the stages. totaly ridiculous to cue to get into a half empty room when the band have already started.

Kyohan 12.12.2006 12:10 PM

Quote:

so i hear gang of four were excellent? i'm even more gutted that i missed them now!

yep, they were incredible - can't believe I finally saw them after all this time! Did anyone go to their second show at 1.30am? Did they do the same set?

jon boy 12.12.2006 12:11 PM

nurse with wound

jon boy 12.12.2006 12:12 PM

six organs of admitance

jon boy 12.12.2006 12:12 PM

wolf eyes

jon boy 12.12.2006 12:13 PM

bark haze (just perfect!)

jon boy 12.12.2006 12:13 PM

jon boy 12.12.2006 12:14 PM

double leopards

jon boy 12.12.2006 12:14 PM

blood stereo

jon boy 12.12.2006 12:15 PM

o o o 12.12.2006 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon boy
totaly ridiculoyus to cue to get into a half empty room when the band have already started.

oh yes, that was bad. also queuing to go the toilets...

regarding blood stereo: it was funny to see him looking all happy and smiling and clapping in his hands right at the end of the concert, after having looked insane on the stage during the thing...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyohan
Did anyone go to their second show at 1.30am? Did they do the same set?

unfortunately i did not learn about this in time which makes me even more regretful...

jon boy 12.12.2006 12:51 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Nh57JuMt0A

Iain 12.12.2006 12:56 PM

Blood Stereo were amazing but I could have happily heard them for 2-3times as long.

THEY SHOULD COME AND PLAY IN CARDIFF OR SOMETHING>...........

jon boy 12.12.2006 01:00 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOMVCJzocWw

Bastian 12.12.2006 01:06 PM

Sunburned Hand.. Jon Boy in the first row..