Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   sewing, crafts (and a question for ploesj) (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=27544)

phoenix 11.02.2008 09:46 PM

sewing, crafts (and a question for ploesj)

do you sew? what do you make?

I mostly like to sew up dresses and simple things, I change patterns but don't draft my own. I also like doing some quilting but I dont enjoy keeping to patterns.. I like big patchworks made from odds and ends or clothing that we don't want to throw away but can't wear anymore.

I'd really like to see some of the things people have made, if you do sew?

even crafty things not just garments, because there are lots of awesome things to sew that aren't clothes.

Do any of you post at craftster?

ploesj.... I've noticed you seem to sew a lot, do you draft your own? I've only ever done my own corset and waist cincher patterns from scratch, never any other garments. What should I try first that wont make me go crazy? I've lots of books to help me and the like, just never been sure of what to try first..

gualbert 11.02.2008 09:56 PM

I totally forgot that some people sew.

But most of the clothes are made by machines , right?
Like , the standard t-shirt?

phoenix 11.02.2008 09:58 PM

I guess it depends on the person, but I'd think so. I've never made my own t shirt from scratch. I've altered some due to being massive and wanting a girlie fit, and screen printed or embroidered them, but never bothered to make one up.. its pretty easy to find a t shirt that fits in any colour you like.

uhler 11.03.2008 02:03 AM

my friend knits scarfs but i don't think she has ever knitted one before.

ploesj 11.03.2008 04:09 PM

ooooh nice i can help someone!

well i wouldn't call myself a great seamstress, i'm still in the process of learning... i started with editing pieces of clothing. go to a cheap thrift store, look for very cheap dresses or other garments. you might not like the shape, but look for prints you like and try to make something nice out of it. i taught myself how to make things fit me and all at first, that's pretty important.
right now i'm starting to make clothes from scratch, mostly skirts or shift dresses. i hardly ever use patterns, since i dont know anything about how they work, but i drape pieces of cloth onto myself and pin everything, fitting it all the time untill it's right. shift dresses are good to start with, since theyre pretty wide and don't need complicated darts or tucks, or not even closures.

phoenix 11.03.2008 07:43 PM

cool! I've thought about draping to create items for myself a few times, but the clothes model I have doesnt really go small enough for me, anywhere on it.. So I'd need to make a cast of me, which I havent done..

Thats a really great idea about re working garments, Ive thought about it a lot but not done it extensively.. like.. not totally re-modelled anything.

ploesj 11.05.2008 06:40 AM

haha i just pin it on myself, don't have a model... it causes a lot of tiny pains. sometimes i have o ask for help to pin something at the back.

i don't have enough time to finish my projects these days :(

flophousefloozie 11.05.2008 10:23 AM

I want to learn to sew. I did a bit in grade eight, but don't remember much.

Can anyone suggest a decent machine?

phoenix 11.05.2008 06:10 PM

just buy a well known brand in the most basic model. That way, if you like it you'll easily be able to sell it on and buy a new one.. or still sell it if you dont like it. Otherwise the cheaper ones can break and won't re sell as easy. :)

I have a janome dc3050 and I love it.

start by making small and quick projects. The worst thing about sewing is getting frustrated so if you stick to small things first, you'll be okay. Its even better if you can find someone to hang out with and stitch n bitch. My SnB buddy got a new bf about a month ago so I havent seen her since ahah.

phoenix 11.05.2008 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ploesj
haha i just pin it on myself, don't have a model... it causes a lot of tiny pains. sometimes i have o ask for help to pin something at the back.

i don't have enough time to finish my projects these days :(

do you just use mirrors a lot to see around?

I havent finished anything big in a long time, but my school year is nearly finished (tomorrow, yay) so I'm finishing a baby blanket for somene, a pair of pants I started about 4 months ago, and starting a new patchwork quilt cover over the weekend. :D

ploesj 11.06.2008 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenix
do you just use mirrors a lot to see around?

I havent finished anything big in a long time, but my school year is nearly finished (tomorrow, yay) so I'm finishing a baby blanket for somene, a pair of pants I started about 4 months ago, and starting a new patchwork quilt cover over the weekend. :D

woah nice, good luck! my schoolyear is starting now, stress and wrk is building up :P i'm working on a skirt, and still have a dress lying around that needs finishing.

phoenix 11.06.2008 08:43 PM

thats neat! you should post some pics when you're done or as you go. I'll take some and post them in here once I've finished for the weekend. :D

flophousefloozie 11.06.2008 08:50 PM

Quote:

just buy a well known brand in the most basic model. That way, if you like it you'll easily be able to sell it on and buy a new one.. or still sell it if you dont like it. Otherwise the cheaper ones can break and won't re sell as easy. :)

I have a janome dc3050 and I love it.

start by making small and quick projects. The worst thing about sewing is getting frustrated so if you stick to small things first, you'll be okay. Its even better if you can find someone to hang out with and stitch n bitch. My SnB buddy got a new bf about a month ago so I havent seen her since ahah.

Wonderfull! Thank you.

ploesj 12.02.2008 10:22 AM

BUMP

i promised i'd post some of the stuff i finished but can't remember in what thread, so here we go...

a top out of an old men's shirt:

i want to change the shoulder part a bit, but like the result so far. there's a turorial for this top on my weblog.

plain canvas sneakers decorated with kitties:

simple and quick projects. the shirt top is great if you just start sewing, i finished it in about an hour and it's very easy.

phoenix 12.02.2008 06:18 PM

I love the kitty sneakers!

is the shirt gathered and sewn or using rouching elastic?... hmm i could just click and find the tute :P

ploesj 12.03.2008 05:16 AM

thanks!

it's done with elastic, makes it easier to make it fitting...

phoenix 02.12.2009 04:27 AM

ploesj do you know any international/euro zines that include fancy dress or clothing patterns with them?

Im thinking of tweaking a bunch of vintage patterns(for the sake of copyright) I have and creating something like this. My mom has a box full of 100+ patterns from the 60's and 70's and I think it'd be neat to see them being used again.

ploesj 02.12.2009 05:40 AM

Quote:

ploesj do you know any international/euro zines that include fancy dress or clothing patterns with them?

Im thinking of tweaking a bunch of vintage patterns(for the sake of copyright) I have and creating something like this. My mom has a box full of 100+ patterns from the 60's and 70's and I think it'd be neat to see them being used again.

um no, i only worked from a pattern once before and i found it for free on the internet...

here is a free pattern to print to make a fifties dress, looks quite nice, i'm making it my summer project...

go wih the patterns your mother has! and post the results!

phoenix 02.12.2009 06:07 AM

that one is really lovely. I wish I could find examples online of some of the ones I have.

excuse the terrible qualty, I just tried to take some photos of a couple of things I've made, but there is no full length mirror in my house. The first dress is a vintage vogue altered a bit. The second is waistie just drawn up from measurements. Which didnt turn out too badly though it needs an iron now because of the satin outer.

ploesj 02.12.2009 06:14 AM

i love the first dress! looks great on you!