Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café V (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=112934)

Severian 04.30.2016 11:12 PM

CHANCE 3!! WHOO!!

Kanye, Kendrick AND Chance all on one year? Pure insanity! If King Push ends up dropping, that's pretty much everyone I care deeply about in modern hip-hop. This is Fucking awesome!

Not sure why it's "Chance 3" ... Surf wasn't a Chance album. So... I really don't get the title. Whatever though. This is great news!

Severian 04.30.2016 11:14 PM

I heard Chance got a "co-sign" from Ye and, like, flipped shit about it. I wonder if that means an actual co-sign, or just a kind word in his favor. It would be interesting to see Chance release an actual album on GOOD. But it's not like I'm gonna be disappointed if he sticks to mixtapes.

louder 04.30.2016 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
CHANCE 3!! WHOO!!

Kanye, Kendrick AND Chance all on one year? Pure insanity! If King Push ends up dropping, that's pretty much everyone I care deeply about in modern hip-hop. This is Fucking awesome!

Not sure why it's "Chance 3" ... Surf wasn't a Chance album. So... I really don't get the title. Whatever though. This is great news!

He had a tape titled "10 Day" before "Acid Rap", so this is basically his 3rd project.

Severian 05.01.2016 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
He had a tape titled "10 Day" before "Acid Rap", so this is basically his 3rd project.


Oh. Wow.

I had no idea. Is it good?

louder 05.01.2016 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Oh. Wow.

I had no idea. Is it good?

Yeah it's nice. Acid Rap is better though.

louder 05.01.2016 02:20 AM

Acid Rap is a classic, one of the best hip hop projects of the decade, hands down.

I expect "Chance 3" to be more mature. He has a daughter now and doesn't do acid anymore. But I don't want it to be overtly serious because of that reason. Acid Rap had the perfect balance of introspection, conscious rap and pure fun.

Severian 05.01.2016 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
Acid Rap is a classic, one of the best hip hop projects of the decade, hands down.

I expect "Chance 3" to be more mature. He has a daughter now and doesn't do acid anymore. But I don't want it to be overtly serious because of that reason. Acid Rap had the perfect balance of introspection, conscious rap and pure fun.


Yeah. I have to admit I played it out in 2013, but it's back in rotation now, thanks in no small part to "Ultra Light Beam." It really is a grade A project for a mixtape. It's so sharp and smart. I like Surf a lot too, but I don't listen to it as much.

I don't think Chance 3 will be super serious. I think it will probably have a more mature vibe, but if his verse on ULB is any indication, he's only gotten better, sharper and smarter in the time since Acid Rap.

Severian 05.01.2016 11:27 AM

 

louder 05.01.2016 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah. I have to admit I played it out in 2013, but it's back in rotation now, thanks in no small part to "Ultra Light Beam." It really is a grade A project for a mixtape. It's so sharp and smart. I like Surf a lot too, but I don't listen to it as much.

I don't think Chance 3 will be super serious. I think it will probably have a more mature vibe, but if his verse on ULB is any indication, he's only gotten better, sharper and smarter in the time since Acid Rap.

True I expect it to be better.

louder 05.01.2016 11:38 AM

LOL at that Drake pic. Dude be on his own dick. By the way, a lot of reference tracks are leaking right now, which expose Drake for not writing a lot of his verses, on Views, If You're Reading This and possibly Nothing Was the Same too.

Severian 05.01.2016 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
LOL at that Drake pic. Dude be on his own dick. By the way, a lot of reference tracks are leaking right now, which expose Drake for not writing a lot of his verses, on Views, If You're Reading This and possibly Nothing Was the Same too.


Yeah, well, it has an absurdly high revue average in iTunes. But scrolling through the reviews I found that many of the 5-star ratings were submitted multiple times by the same people/person. Probably Drake.

Also, Spin's all over his dick, and so is pitchfork. Inexplicably. The only really crappy review I found in SPIN's impulsive reviews was by Sheldon Pearce, who freelances with Pitchfork. But if anyone other than him does the album review, it's going to be a "Best New Album," easily.

P-fork even did a feature the night it dropped titled "5 things you need to know" before it even went on sale. It's like they already knew they were going to hype the shit out of it, which is troubling. Not even Kanye or Radiohead get that kind of hype from Pitchfork. I feel like there must be some kind of behind the scenes Palm-greasing going on between media outlets to make this album seem good, when really it's incredible mediocre. I've heard it now, and I don't even believe that it could appeal to anyone with any kind of ear for sophisticated music. Not with artists like Kendrick out there, raising the bar both lyrically and thematically for all hip-hop. It just doesn't make sense. The album sounds like a very basic Drake record. It's like Take Care on Ambien. Too much singing, not enough rapping, and just more of the same lyrical content.

How in the world could this thing have 10,000 5-star iTunes reviews? How could it have possibly outsold Lemonade... IN A DAY? What the fuck is going on?!

It's not the worst thing I've ever heard, but you'd have to be an idiot to think it's great. Seriously. It's so goddamn boring!

The only thing Pitchfork said that isn't absolute praise a guy whose career they once wrote a Fucking EULOGY for (after the free throw incident, and the lint roller thing) was at the very end, saying "Drake appears to be following Kanye's lead with the album-by-committee approach.

If I know Drake (which I don't, but I can guarantee he's a tool) that last sentence is going to stick in his asshole like a tampon soaked in grain alcohol, making him drunk with irritation and immune to any praise that might be heaped upon him.

Taking Kanye and Jay off of VIEWS revealed way more about Drake's personality than anything he's done before, and he's a fucking child with little brother syndrome.

The world will look back on him and laugh. How could they not? Just look at his face! And his face has only grown more punchable in the 10 years that it's been in the public eye. I want to END it with my fists!!!

"Started from the bottom" my. Skinny. Old. White. Hemorrhoidal. Fucking. Ass.

Severian 05.01.2016 01:55 PM

I'm starting to hate Drake almost as much as I love Kanye. Which should tell you something. I fear I'm at a higher risk for heart attack every second he's alive and successful.

louder 05.01.2016 02:03 PM

I think Pitchfork will give him BNM but the overall metacritic score won't be 80+ again. Just like Eminem, Drake will never have a critically acclaimed album to his name.

louder 05.01.2016 02:07 PM

Drake has turned into the hip hop version of Rihanna. He's just a pop artist who's mainly about commercial success and breaking records, he performs demos that his artists send to him instead of writing his own songs.

Severian 05.01.2016 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
Drake has turned into the hip hop version of Rihanna. He's just a pop artist who's mainly about commercial success and breaking records, he performs demos that his artists send to him instead of writing his own songs.


I like Rihanna. I think ANTI is a pretty good record. Not brilliant, but solid. Kanye helped. And she absolutely RULES on "Famous." But that's neither here nor there.

I have to disagree about critical acclaim. Metacritic aside -- as far as I know they have a pretty limited range of sources from which they aggregate their scores -- I believe Pitchfork is the true maker / breaker of modern music media. As long as your album gets a good score on Pitchfork, it's considered a good album by the industry. That's sad, but it's true. Also, Drake's second and third albums and IYRTITL all got glowing pitchfork scores, and were all up for Grammys. So I think he's got critical acclaim. What he doesn't have is a true "classic" album. He has no Blueprint, no College Dropout, not even a Slim Shady or Marshall Mathers LP. His take on MBDTF is pretty basic comparatively, and IYRTITL was "not an album" (eyeroll.) He simply isn't poising himself to go down in history. He'll be a fixture of future "I love the 2010's" specials on vh1 because he has yet to make any kind of definitive statement, and that's something even the critics who love him seem to be able to acknowledge.

Also, he's screwed over a lot of his "co-signs." Poor ILoveMakkonen (don't really care for him, but he deserves better than the shitty treatment he got from OVO) had to bounce labels just to keep releasing EPs. And who the hell else is on OVO? Nobody.

The Weeknd will bypass Drake just like Drake bypassed Wayne, and that's the circle of life for forgettable artists.

Severian 05.01.2016 07:48 PM

I miss Danny Brown. When the hell are we gonna hear from him again? If he were to drop an album this would be the best year for hip hop since 2013.

Cranked Old the other day after hearing some songs from that dope ass album featured on Silicon Valley. Those songs were insane. They weren't "old school" Danny Brown, of course, but that whole album kinda helped ease the pain of losing Lil Wayne (RIP Weezy's talent... RIP).

Anyway, I would love to hear a new Danny B. album drop this year. I'd also kill to hear Rocky clap back with something, as I've been reconsidering ALLA a bit, and I still think "Excuse Me" was one of the best songs of 2015... but I'd love to hear him clear his head of that magical mystery tour shit and get back to dropping dark purple trap with SpaceGhostPurrp, AraabMuzik and Clams. Or whatever he wants to do.

We just need more strong hip hop albums from big names who are determined to stick around.

louder 05.02.2016 12:06 AM

Word, Danny is one of the few who might have a shot at competing with Kendrick. I know Kendrick himself is a fan.

I actually like The Weeknd more than Drake. Not that I see him as an outstanding artist anymore but he has his moments, something I can't say about Views.

louder 05.02.2016 12:08 AM

I'd also like to see Andre 3000, Nas, Q-Tip, Mos Def and DOOM putting out music again.. but that's probably too much to ask. :(

louder 05.02.2016 12:09 AM

Am interested in the next JAY Z album as well, mainly to hear how he reacts to Lemonade.. I want the story from his perspective.

louder 05.02.2016 12:11 AM

YG, where art thou? Is he still working on the modern day Doggystyle?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content ©2006 Sonic Youth