Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   A classic album that you know you SHOULD like but ... well ...don't. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=10616)

demonrail666 02.17.2007 03:11 PM

A classic album that you know you SHOULD like but ... well ...don't.

What's that album that, given what you listen to and your overall taste you know you should absolutely love, but whenever you've tried to get into it has just left you cold?

Oh, and try and think of bands other than Sonic Youth.

Here's mine: bearing in mind that I'm a TOTAL Pussy Galore fanatic, I just hate Dial M for Motherfucker. How weird is THAT!?!

noumenal 02.17.2007 03:14 PM

Marquee Moon

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 02.17.2007 03:24 PM

Anything by Bob Dylan.

k-krack 02.17.2007 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noumenal
Marquee Moon

From what I've heard of it, ditto. I just found it a tad boring. I can't think of any others...

demonrail666 02.17.2007 04:24 PM

A lot of people feel like that about Marquee Moon. Whilst it's possibly my fave album ever, it has this thing about it (a bit like Patti Smith's Horses) where it doesn't sound like you thought it might. It has all these punk associations but sounds nothing like what people imagine a punk album is gonna sound like.

CHOUT 02.17.2007 04:30 PM

Pavement - Slanted And Enchanted. I've owned it twice.

noumenal 02.17.2007 04:33 PM

Well, the reason I haven't gotten into it (Marquee Moon) isn't because my expectations weren't met. I didn't have any expectations as far as I can remember. It sounds to me like bad prog rock glazed over with a thin layer of NYC art scene posturing. But that's not why I've failed to enjoy it. I just find it boring, and that's about the worst thing I ever say about any music.

Weird thing is, I LOVE Blank Generation.

hey alex 02.17.2007 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHOUT

I've owned pet sounds thrice---but i enjoy that one....

lesee

hmmmmmmmm

black flag - damaged

I like some of it--- but i normally don't get past the half way point. I prefer pre rollins-- and i think that's kinda screwy for black flagfandom

demonrail666 02.17.2007 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hey alex
I prefer pre rollins-- and i think that's kinda screwy for black flagfandom

Screwy yes, but I know exactly what you mean. I do love Damaged though.

screamingskull 02.17.2007 05:38 PM

Quote:

How could you!, that albums amazing!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I don't like The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin

sorry

k-krack 02.17.2007 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by screamingskull
How could you!, that albums amazing!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I don't like The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin

sorry

Oh, yeh. I don't really care for the Flaming Lips either.

screamingskull 02.17.2007 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-krack
Oh, yeh. I don't really care for the Flaming Lips either.

i :) LOVE everything else they have ever done, i am in love with Wayne and Steven, and their shows are complete bliss:D .

I just don't like the soft bulletin.:( Ive tried, believe me.

terminal pharmacy 02.17.2007 05:57 PM

i never understand these threads, there are no albums that i SHOULD like but don't. why should i like something because it is considered classic or great by others, i just don't get it, i like what i like and i dislike what i dislike end of story.

k-krack 02.17.2007 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
What's that album that, given what you listen to and your overall taste you know you should absolutely love, but whenever you've tried to get into it has just left you cold?

Quote:

Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
i never understand these threads, there are no albums that i SHOULD like but don't. why should i like something because it is considered classic or great by others, i just don't get it, i like what i like and i dislike what i dislike end of story.

Very predictable response... next time, READ THE QUESTION BETTER.

terminal pharmacy 02.17.2007 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-krack
Very predictable response... next time, READ THE QUESTION BETTER.

i read the question fine i just don't have anything like it, sorry.

Inhuman 02.17.2007 06:04 PM

anything by Throbbing Gristle

timtimtim 02.17.2007 06:11 PM

Darkside of the moon or any Pink Floyd

noumenal 02.17.2007 06:19 PM

The word "should" here doesn't imply responsibility, but rather just a statistical likelihood. No one has completely random musical tastes.

So, it goes like this: Based on everything else Y likes, it is likely that Y will like X. If Y doesn't like X, Y should say it in this thread. That is, if Y has nothing better to do and feels like it. That's it.

Danny Himself 02.17.2007 06:32 PM

Quote:

It's not as good as their other albums and it takes a while to get used to. It's one of those albums you don't feel until a certain time and place.

terminal pharmacy 02.17.2007 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noumenal
The word "should" here doesn't imply responsibility, but rather just a statistical likelihood. No one has completely random musical tastes.

So, it goes like this: Based on everything else Y likes, it is likely that Y will like X. If Y doesn't like X, Y should say it in this thread. That is, if Y has nothing better to do and feels like it. That's it.

i dont like algebra but that isn't really an album