Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Drone music (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=6194)

dntrecords 09.20.2006 08:21 PM

robedoor... cdr drone godz of LA

jimbrim 09.21.2006 05:17 PM

listen to Nurse with Wound, i think that has drone elements

val-holla-ing 09.21.2006 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
i have one word for you: dronevil
another one: megatone

don't forget "flood" and the numerous drone pieces that show up on their other albums.

val-holla-ing 09.21.2006 06:14 PM

you should check out growing. if you get the chance to see them live, do not pass it up! they're so intense at times, it could make your head implode.

'his return' and 'color wheel' are good starting places.

golden child 09.21.2006 06:28 PM

khanate is NOT drone.

comAtose 10.10.2006 01:18 AM

Hey if you guys like Drone you should check out robe. at www.myspace.com/robedot There is lots of stuff for sale and everything. Plus if you have soulseek I have all the stuff loveandulcers is my user name

dntrecords 10.10.2006 04:53 AM

I have a lot of drone in my distro

http://www.dntrecords.com

_slavo_ 03.30.2010 08:24 AM

Any good recommendations as for current stuff?

I've come across Stellar OM Source ... though she's hardly pure drone, she sounds a bit like Oneothrix point Never mixed with Terry Riley, with an overall cloudy feel to it.

atsonicpark 03.30.2010 11:38 PM

I dunno.. how about Robe.? Hah.

ann ashtray 03.31.2010 03:06 AM

I've always stuck with Earth for the most part, but do enjoy Sunn o)))'s "Black One" from time to time.

ann ashtray 03.31.2010 03:07 AM

Ghoul Detail's "Glory Hole" is pretty fucking sexy, too.

The Earl Of Slander 03.31.2010 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whorefrost
speaking of BCM

Again speaking of BCM, do you have 'Gunpowder Temple of Heaven'? That's my favourite. Amazing

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Moronic
LaMonte Young.

So many levels of yes. Listen to the Well Tuned Piano. Now. In a similar vein, check out the John Cale 'New York In The 60s' box set on Table Of The Elements. It's absolutely glorious. One of the most loved items in my whole record collection. The first track on disc 1, 'Sun Blindness Music', is probably my favourite drone piece ever.

I'm a mild Keiji Haino obsessive, so I'm obligated to recommend one of his. For the droney end I'd probably say '21st Century Hard-y Guide-y Man', or Nijiumu - 'Era Of Sad Wings'.

William Basinski is another favourite. Oh, and Stars For The Lid...

Phlegmscope 03.31.2010 09:39 AM

For some reason I haven't listened to my vibracathedral or birchville or avarus or whatever fucking folk drone shit for years, even though there was a time I kept checking out things out of that genre and buying crap. Hell, I don't even know if those cd-r releases are still playable.

One of these days I'm gonna dig out those albums. hmph.

tesla69 03.31.2010 09:45 AM

Really dig GHQ and zaika - thick drone is good for falling asleep, it blocks out the restaurant noise pollution...

jon boy 03.31.2010 11:26 AM

keith rowe, keith fullerton whitman, oren ambarchi, am are all worth checking out for sure. not to mention fennesz.

shabbray2.0 03.31.2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
ROBE

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trasher02
Robe indeed.

hell yes, robe for the win.
but Ive heard one of their members stinks badly...rhhr

atsonicpark 03.31.2010 05:06 PM

haha

atsonicpark 03.31.2010 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon boy
keith rowe, keith fullerton whitman, oren ambarchi, am are all worth checking out for sure. not to mention fennesz.

those fall under electroacoustic improv, or eai, mostly stuff released by erstwhile, except for whitman, who has done some eai-leaning stuff.

blunderbuss 04.03.2010 03:14 AM

Peter Wright's "An Angel fell where the Kestrels hover" gets a big thumbs up from these parts. Bloody annoying non-standard size packaging, though.

Also VagusNerve's "Lo Pan", which I've raved about elsewhere on here.

Neither of them is pure drone, but they're not too far wide of the mark.

Bal 04.03.2010 10:27 AM

im not sure its drone but oren ambarchi makes some very interesting stuff
some older sun araw is deff very drone-y and very pshychedelic.. not sure if you like that tho..
and eliane radigue.