Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   NYC record shops (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=48)

DoubleNickels 03.21.2006 02:42 PM

NYC record shops

I'm going to a trip fairly soon to NYC, and while I'll probably have some downtime, I wanna hit some record shops, but the people I'm going with will say the Virgin Recordstore is fine, but I don't think they sell vinyl.

NYC people, what are your favorite record shops that arn't that far away from a big tourist attraction such as like Times Square, if that's even possible? Chances are no, so will I have to be happy with the virgin recordstore?

johnnywinternoshow 03.21.2006 03:19 PM

when i went last summer i liked bleeker bobs (on bleeker street), Bleecker St. Records (also on bleeker) Kim's (bleeker too, as well as other locations around the city), the virgin megastore in times squre was always too busy but was open til 2am or something rediculous and has a cinema inside it, good for when nothing else is open

This is reminding me of when homer simpson asks hank scorpio about hammocks

Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.
Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks! Homer, there's four places. There's the Hammock Hut, that's on third. There's Hammocks-R-Us, that's on third too. You got Put-Your-Butt-There? That's on third. Swing Low, Sweet Chariot... Matter of fact, they're all in the same complex; it's the hammock complex on third.
Homer: Oh, the hammock district

DoubleNickels 03.21.2006 08:37 PM

Oh sweet man, Alright, all they all just on the same street? So I just have to walk down and poke my head in?

Come on, Habib! I know you're there. any other NYC boardies. Help a member out!

Everyneurotic 03.21.2006 08:41 PM

bleecker st records and bleecker bob records are not both in bleaker. bleaker st is on west something, i forgot. however, i would advice you to stay the fuck AWAY from bleecker st records, total rip off and the staff are jerks

virgin megastore has a huge selection so chances are you can find stuff there

i also recommend you venture to st marks place, some great record stores in a one block radius

you can look this thread up in the origianl board, it came up fairly recently

the hank scorpio episode is one of my top simpsons episodes of all time

DoubleNickels 03.21.2006 09:07 PM

Was that Kim's shop he was talking about also on Bleecker, for reference we're talking about in greenwich village, correct?

Alrighty, so if I'm in a jam Virgin megastore will be cool?

soniknirve 03.21.2006 09:34 PM

while they do have vinyl, you won't find any rare items... btw there's another virgin on 14th st. and i recommend you check out generation records on thompson st., also in greenwich and only a couple of blocks from bleecker bobs. gen recs have lots of bootlegs and much vinyl downstairs (including rare items). be sure to check it out...

golden child 03.21.2006 11:25 PM

dom, the man behind prurient and hospital productions just opened a store, dont remember whats its called. hospital records?

its noise/grind/black metal shit
google it or something

SoildGoldHell 03.22.2006 12:58 AM

HOSPITAL PRODUCTIONS RETAIL STORE NYC

OPENS MARCH 2006 BY NO FUN FEST
------------------------------------------------------------

60 EAST 3RD ST.

BETWEEN FIRST AND SECOND AVE.

located in basement of jammyland music

take the F or V train to 2ND ave or 6 train to bleeker st.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

PURE UNDERGROUND OUTLET

TAPE, VINYL, CD, ETC.

NEW, USED, IMPORT, RARE

noise
black metal
power electronics
drone
free
grind
death
industrial
doom
noisecore
ambient
punk
hardcore
noiserock
experimental
more!

------------------------------------------------------
60 EAST 3RD ST. NEW YORK, NEW YORK, 10003 USA

212 614 9652 (not active till mid march!)

-----------------------------------------------------
www.hospitalproductions.com
if you are in the area during this time please stop by!

Not sure if its will still be open but though i'd post this anyway.....

jon boy 03.22.2006 04:23 AM

yes bleecker street is pretty good. there are a lot of things round there that are quite nice. just generally around the east village is pretty good for it.

sonicl 03.22.2006 06:33 AM

I'm amazed that no-one's mentioned Other Music yet! It's on 4th Street, which runs alongside Tower (assuming that Tower hasn't moved in the last five years). You can ditch your friends in Tower and just pop around the corner.

Have a look at their website at http://www.othermusic.com to see if it's the sort of thing you're looking for.

MELTEDMAILBOX 03.22.2006 02:00 PM

definitely go to OTHER. & the HOSPITAL PRODUCTIONS store is on the bottom of the besssst record store in nyc (maaaybe): JAMMYLAND.

go to jammyland & hospital -- they are in the same bldg!
jammyland is all jamaican soul/roots/dub/rocksteady/reggae/etc.

& buy these records to: www.meltedmailbox.com (ha-sorry for the shameless plug -- but c'mon EXPERIMENTAL VINYL SINGLES CLUB is worth knowing about!)

DoubleNickels 03.26.2006 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soniknirve
while they do have vinyl, you won't find any rare items... btw there's another virgin on 14th st. and i recommend you check out generation records on thompson st., also in greenwich and only a couple of blocks from bleecker bobs. gen recs have lots of bootlegs and much vinyl downstairs (including rare items). be sure to check it out...

Hey man, I took your suggestion and went to Generations, it was awesome. I made off like a bandit. I went to Bleecker Bobs and the only record he had that I was interested in was an SY original sister LP forlike 40. Thanks for the tips guys!