Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   A thousand leaves, again (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=1390)

marleypumpkin 04.30.2006 06:11 PM

I liked "Heatehr Angel" from the moment I heard it. It's one of the greatest closing tracks ever.

nomadicfollower 04.30.2006 06:54 PM

I like it alot. I'm surprised it doesn't get that much love.
Hits of Sunshine is a masterpiece.

Daycare Nation 04.30.2006 07:18 PM

This album is very important to me. One of my all-time favorites.

selkcip 05.01.2006 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadicfollower
I like it alot. I'm surprised it doesn't get that much love.
Hits of Sunshine is a masterpiece.

hits of sunshine gets boring in the middle. otherwise i love a thousand leaves. sunday is kinda meh. i like the suburbia version more

SonikJesus 05.01.2006 12:46 AM

I still haven't gotten this album. I need A Thousand Leaves and Experimental to have all the major albums.

youthoftomorrow 05.01.2006 12:47 AM

perhaps i should purchase this album. is it at all similar to NYCG&F? i got that a few weeks ago (great music but the lyrics kinda suck).

marleypumpkin 05.01.2006 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by selkcip
hits of sunshine gets boring in the middle. otherwise i love a thousand leaves. sunday is kinda meh. i like the suburbia version more

"Suburbia" is a great movie, w/ a decent soundtrack as well. Wasn't a track from "Psychic Hearts" in that movie?

whorefrost 05.01.2006 06:49 AM

kim's vocals are amazing... i love ineffable me and female mechanic now on duty... oh, and contre le sexisme of course....

toxic johnny 05.01.2006 07:22 AM

At last a fellow Contre le sexisme lover... I've felt like I've been ploughing a lonely furrow since it was first released.

selkcip 05.01.2006 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marleypumpkin
"Suburbia" is a great movie, w/ a decent soundtrack as well. Wasn't a track from "Psychic Hearts" in that movie?

yeah there are also a couple sy instrumentals, along with a longer, jammed-out version of sunday

marleypumpkin 05.01.2006 08:45 AM

I'll have to get the soundtrack for this movie. BTW, "A Thousand Leaves" is an excellent record, w/ amazing lyrics. Some of Thurston's best work. (IMO)

diamondsea 05.01.2006 11:29 AM

Sing yr love child
Love is on
Sing yr child lights
Lights are gold
Sing yr child life
Wildflower soul

hey alex 05.01.2006 01:47 PM

This was actually one of the last SY records I got, tho sunday was my frist favorite sy song. I don't listen to it all too much because it's sooooo long. But When I do it's great. I remember once I was listening to it really baked and this one kim song was far too intense, I had to throw off my headphones and skip the song. Same deal with wildflower soul's loud intro/outro.

What's the kim song that goes "free time free time' I really like that one

trainyard bliss 05.01.2006 05:45 PM

this was my first sonic youth album along with dirty. it was the first sonic youth album i ever loved. strangely, i don't listen to it all that often either. don't even know why. it's still one of my favorites.

jean-nicolas 05.02.2006 12:33 PM

A thousand leaves is one of my two favorite records. The other one is SYR1

greenlight 05.02.2006 01:43 PM

i heard it back in the day when it came out. like this album very much. grew on me slowly tho. some very good memories connected with this album. best summer ever - hot summer days and nights, girl of my dreams and listening to thousand leaves for like whole summer.

atari 2600 07.30.2008 09:59 PM

I met someone today who only owns one Sonic Youth album.
That album is (of course, per the thread) A Thousand Leaves.

He told me that he bought it because he liked the Rolling Stone review. (My theory is he bought it on the heels of the initial SYR excitement).
And he told me that he burned a cd-r from it purposely excluding the tracks that the Rolling Stone review described as filler.

Sonic brethren, I implore you to be as appalled as I am.
Now I realize that this sort of thinking is unfortunately all too commonplace, but yet I still find it disturbing nonetheless.

Furthermore, I looked up the RS ATL review and it makes no mention of which songs the reviewer considers filler material. There is a shot taken at a lyric in "Contre Le Sexisme," however.
The album is given three-and-a-half stars which is a fairly good rating, but the write-up itself is hardly glowing either.

Spin magazine doesn't have an online review for the album, so I can't check that one in case the guy is just mixed-up.

Anyway, just thought this little slice of SY-themed demographic research might be interesting to someone out there reading.

atsonicpark 07.30.2008 10:05 PM

always been in my top 5 favorites.

atari 2600 07.30.2008 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westernquinoxrocks
it'z 2 nois e

Here's an idea:
Avoid water for three days.
Go out in the Texas heat in the afternoon and do jumping jacks
or some other aerobic exercise for several hours.
Listen to the album and write a review.

atsonicpark 07.30.2008 10:23 PM

You have given out too much Reputation in the last 2600 hours, try again later.