Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   if you're not AC/DC or the Stones, don't mention rock'n'roll in your music (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=22104)

Norma J 05.27.2008 06:15 PM

if you're not AC/DC or the Stones, don't mention rock'n'roll in your music

What makes you think 'don't!... just don't' in a song?

The Vines (shit) have a new song (shit) out which the chorus just says rock 'n' roll. its a no-brainer and a lame choice of lyric.

so? Knowing this board somewhat, I know you all hate everythng so this shouldn't be too hard.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 05.27.2008 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norma J
What makes you think 'don't!... just don't' in a song?

The Vines (shit) have a new song (shit) out which the chorus just says rock 'n' roll. its a no-brainer and a lame choice of lyric.

so? Knowing this board somewhat, I know you all hate everythng so this shouldn't be too hard.

ac/dc sucks!

Norma J 05.27.2008 06:36 PM

hater!

Toilet & Bowels 05.27.2008 06:37 PM

ac/dc are awesome and they destroy the stones

radarmaker 05.27.2008 06:43 PM

AC/DC are fucking mint. And Lou Reed can get away with mentioning rock'n'roll as often as he likes too.

demonrail666 05.27.2008 06:54 PM

Since when have either The Stones or AC/DC had a monopoly on the words Rock 'n' Roll?

I could go on, but I'm only allowed to post four pics per post.

demonrail666 05.27.2008 07:04 PM

OK, one more post and I believe the point is finally made. Oh, and AC/DC bore the living fuck out of me.

This Is Not Here 05.27.2008 07:10 PM

If you're rock n' roll, don't mention the Stones or AC/DC in your lyrics

demonrail666 05.27.2008 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by This Is Not Here
If you're rock n' roll, don't mention the Stones or AC/DC in your lyrics

Haha, now that I do agree with. Not that I have anything even remotely against the Stones. AC/DC are another matter though. I'll never understand the fuss about them for as long as I live. My loss, I'm sure.

Toilet & Bowels 05.27.2008 07:36 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98I85ceICRM

demonrail666 05.27.2008 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels

Fair enough. I'm not gonna knock them or anything. I seem to have the same problem with them that I do with Led Zeppelin - who I'd never be so stupid as to say are a 'bad' band, just that whenever I listen to them something just sounds really wrong. I can't quite put my finger on what it is. Like I said, it's my loss, I'm sure.

batreleaser 05.27.2008 07:54 PM

i dont understand how so many people can absokutley despise the stones. i mean, yeah theyve stuck around 30 years too long, but theyve made some absolutley perfect rock n roll songs. all of exile, half of let it bleed, most satanic magesties. theyre great to listen to at bbq's.

demonrail666 05.27.2008 08:02 PM

Yeah, the Stones are a band I just can't really criticise. Hardly a week goes by that I don't find myself listening to them at some point. One of only a handful of bands that genuinely deserve their iconic status. The same goes for the often lazy Beatles-bashing that I see on here. I mean, come on!

Toilet & Bowels 05.27.2008 08:04 PM

ok, ok, i admit that the stones do have 2 or 3 good songs

batreleaser 05.27.2008 08:11 PM

if im flipping mindlessley through the radio and "paint it black" "gimme shelter" "monkey man" or "under my thumb" comes on, i dont think ive ever continud flipping.

ALIEN ANAL 05.27.2008 11:08 PM

so i dont quite understand why the vines cant sing rock and roll but ac/dc and the stones can.

uhler 05.27.2008 11:12 PM

i don't understand why the vines are still around.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 05.27.2008 11:18 PM

Everyneurotic 05.27.2008 11:56 PM

the vines? i thought down's syndrome victims died in their ealy teens, no?

anyhoo, ac/dc i'm sick to death of them, i can't stand them anymore ugh!!! yet, i have to say that i do like some of their songs still ("you shook me all night long", "thunderstruck"), when i saw them live they were amazing, still on of the best concerts i've ever attended and i still carry brian johnson's autograph in my wallet.

Dead-Air 05.28.2008 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
the vines? i thought down's syndrome victims died in their ealy teens, no?

anyhoo, ac/dc i'm sick to death of them, i can't stand them anymore ugh!!! yet, i have to say that i do like some of their songs still ("you shook me all night long", "thunderstruck"), when i saw them live they were amazing, still on of the best concerts i've ever attended and i still carry brian johnson's autograph in my wallet.

I wish they'd renamed the band when Brian Johnson took over. Although Back in Black is basically the same sound as Highway to Hell, otherwise there is no comparison between the pre and post Bon Scott groups. With Bon they were punk enough to play CBGBs and did the white blues thing on a par with the Stones and Iggy at his most soulfully fucked up. Brian Johnson just always looks and sounds constipated.