Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Sleater-Kinney (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=1133)

Anngella 04.21.2006 11:00 AM

Sleater-Kinney

You know you love them.

I have The Hot Rock, Dig Me Out, and t'Woods.
Favorite is either Dig Me out or t'Woods.

Everyneurotic 04.21.2006 11:02 AM

yes i do!!

my fav is probably dig me out. but then again, i only have the woods and dig me out, the woods is pretty awesome too

screamingskull 04.21.2006 11:03 AM

went to see them last year at the koko club in camden, they were excellent.

AllHandsOnTheBigOne 04.21.2006 12:06 PM

I have Dig Me Out, All Hands On the Bad One, One Beat, and The Woods.

The Woods is my favorite, but All Hands On the Bad One is pretty underrated. It's catchyasfuck.

Anngella 04.21.2006 12:15 PM

Oh! I forgot that I have All Hands On The Bad One [just got it a few weeks ago].. I feel incredibly stupid.

AllHandsOnTheBigOne 04.21.2006 12:19 PM

"The Swimmer" is absolutely gorgeous.

dazedcola 04.21.2006 01:15 PM

Yea I really liked their last record The Woods. It was fucking incredible, a masterpiece. Loved the way the guitars were all warped and distorted on the record.I also have Dig Me Out which is great too. I wish i had gotten to see them on the woods tour.

Trasher02 04.21.2006 01:22 PM

Amazing band i totally love em

truncated 04.21.2006 01:25 PM

I can't pinpoint why, but I find Sleater-Kinney unbearably irritating. I think it's that chick's voice (Carrie Brownstein?) that grates on me.

!@#$%! 04.21.2006 01:40 PM

oh fuck fuck fuck i LOOOOVE sleater-kinney but i actually much prefer them live-- until i get to see them again i have to console myself with records.

the one with the hyper-high vibrato and bitchy face would be corin tucker. carrie, one of the hottest lesbians on earth, is the lead guitar. she sings too. i think even janet sings in some songs-- at least doing backups.

anyway, what's w/ the irritation? I AM VERY PARTIAL TO WOMEN SQUEALING. :D they make me think of sex. (and isn't that what rocknroll is all about?). i understand that's not everyone's cup of tea however. some people might prefer squaling men. and i think it was emma blowgun-- or was it red echo?-- who called them "demon goat women in heat"-- ha hah. but i like demon women! and in heat! (goat or no goat... it's all tender flesh).

oh yeah, and the first time i ever went out with the wife, we went to a sleater-kinney show. so that makes them extra-cool.

seriously, LIVE they fucking rock and i am in awe of their magick powers.

krastian 04.21.2006 02:00 PM

Mos def. They are great live. Dig Me Out is still my favorite. Yep, they rule.

truncated 04.21.2006 02:03 PM

Nope, sorry - the vocal styling just doesn't do it for me. I tried to listen to quite a few of their songs to see if I was being unfair, but I suppose it's just my personal preference. That VOICE! Nails on a chalkboard.

sonicpollution 04.21.2006 02:05 PM

First time I heard S-K I felt Corin Tucker's awful style of singing ruined an otherwise great band, but lately it's really grown on me. It just fits somehow.

If there was any doubt, I can also confirm that they are FANTASTIC live.

!@#$%! 04.21.2006 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truncated
Nope, sorry - the vocal styling just doesn't do it for me. I tried to listen to quite a few of their songs to see if I was being unfair, but I suppose it's just my personal preference. That VOICE! Nails on a chalkboard.

yeah. the voice vibrato used to be banned by the church during the middle ages. apparently it caused fainting spells, probably bought on by sexual frustration.

i understand why you won't want to hear women who sound like they are fucking. when we went to that show we had a few rumbles w/ butchy lesbians who were *extremely* territorial and wanted their elbow room. & between the bouts of machismo they kept screaming "i love you" to the band.

atari 2600 04.21.2006 02:21 PM

I think everyone knows by now that I think Sleater-Kinney are kinda overblown. Maybe if they had another singer they would be more listenable. The music is okay at times revealing a saccharine Sonic Youth tinge, but overall it's just power pop & not my brand of it at that. And it's not only the voice, it's the whole stage persona as well.

Rock on, truncated. Here we have an intelligent woman that also knows the deal with Sleater-Kinney. Need we prove that they are "not all that" any further?

truncated 04.21.2006 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
yeah. the voice vibrato used to be banned by the church during the middle ages. apparently it caused fainting spells, probably bought on by sexual frustration.

i understand why you won't want to hear women who sound like they are fucking. when we went to that show we had a few rumbles w/ butchy lesbians who were *extremely* territorial and wanted their elbow room. & between the bouts of machismo they kept screaming "i love you" to the band.

It doesn't sound anything like fucking to me - it sounds like she's trying too hard, and therefore assaulting your ears with a hyena-like baying.

And frankly, they just don't produce anything extraordinary enough to redeem that. IMHO, they're just another chick rock band, that happens to sound exceptionally bad.

I hate hate HATE bands that play up gender issues. YOU'VE GOT CUNTS, GET OVER YOURSELVES

truncated 04.21.2006 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atari 2600
I think everyone knows by now that I think Sleater-Kinney are kinda overblown. Maybe if they had another singer they would be more listenable. The music is okay at times revealing a saccharine Sonic Youth tinge, but overall it's just power pop & not my brand of it at that. And it's not only the voice, it's the whole stage persona as well.

Another lead vocalist would help, but...for some undiscernable reason, I don't like their melodies either. Their whole sound/image just chafes my ass.

!@#$%! 04.21.2006 02:34 PM

Quote:

It doesn't sound anything like fucking to me - it sounds like she's trying too hard, and therefore assaulting your ears with a hyena-like baying.

And frankly, they just don't produce anything extraordinary enough to redeem that. IMHO, they're just another chick rock band, that happens to sound exceptionally bad.

I hate hate HATE bands that play up gender issues. YOU'VE GOT CUNTS, GET OVER YOURSELVES

hah hah hah. that was funny. yes they are not "extraordinary"-- but they are FUN. i'm not making them to be music revolutionaries. it's just good rocknroll. nothing highbrow. just FUN. the gender stuff-- i am blessed with an inability to comprehend most lyrics, which saves me from a lot of bad experiences. but i love baying hyenas :D

and you don't have to like sleater kinney--you still rule this board :)

truncated 04.21.2006 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
hah hah hah. that was funny. yes they are not "extraordinary"-- but they are FUN. i'm not making them to be music revolutionaries. it's just good rocknroll. nothing highbrow. just FUN. the gender stuff-- i am blessed with an inability to comprehend most lyrics, which saves me from a lot of bad experiences. but i love baying hyenas :D

Fair enough.

Quote:

and you don't have to like sleater kinney--you still rule this board :)

You must want something. I'm broke, for your information.

!@#$%! 04.21.2006 02:46 PM

Quote:

You must want something. I'm broke, for your information.

what are you selling? i might buy. :D