Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   no-fi (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=10663)

Toilet & Bowels 02.19.2007 09:11 PM

no-fi

i love records that sound like they were recorded on a tape recorder in a toilet, not just cheaply recorded but when it couldn't be any worse (great) sounding if they tried

things like these:

discharge
ildjarn
the shadow ring
earlier dead c stuff (+everything else on siltbreeze)
hasil adkins
pussy galore

can you all help me and list more please?

badgercorn 02.19.2007 09:48 PM

The Amps - Pacer
The Fall - Totales Turns
The Germs

Onani Nic 02.19.2007 10:30 PM

Slugfuckers, Rockets From the Tombs, Electric Eels.

nicfit 02.20.2007 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i love records that sound like they were recorded on a tape recorder in a toilet

On Venus' "welcome to the modern dance hall" there's a song that was actually recorded on tape in a bathroom, but I think that's not the kind of music you're looking for....

Toilet & Bowels 02.20.2007 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onani Nic
Slugfuckers, Rockets From the Tombs, Electric Eels.

thanks, i've got the slugfuckers 2CD and it's amazing, i've never heard electric eels though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
On Venus' "welcome to the modern dance hall" there's a song that was actually recorded on tape in a bathroom, but I think that's not the kind of music you're looking for....

what is this?

sonicl 02.20.2007 06:14 AM

Quote:

Likewise a track on Bjork's "Debut".

porkmarras 02.20.2007 06:24 AM

[quote=Toilet & Bowe] i've never heard electric eels though.

quote]

You'd love them,i'm sure.Rockets From The Tombs are an awesome call.A-M-A-Z-I-N-G B-A-N-D!!!! Do you know The Mummies?Never the recording process experts themselves.I assume that you know The Goslings already but something that i love about them is the fact that they are so inept at recording their own music.

nicfit 02.20.2007 06:26 AM

Well, it's a "romantic" song, not even nearly similar to the other bands listed in this thread...
here's a link to wiki with info on the band
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_%28band%29

sun city girl 02.20.2007 07:05 AM

liimanarina

Toilet & Bowels 02.20.2007 08:05 AM

Quote:

Well, it's a "romantic" song, not even nearly similar to the other bands listed in this thread...
here's a link to wiki with info on the band
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_%28band%29

thanks, it doesn't have to be like the bands i mentioned, it has to sound muckily recorded

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 02.20.2007 11:58 AM

What is fun is recording loud music with one of those portable cassette recorders that are supposed to be for recording speech. When you play back it really overemphasizes certain treble frequencies. I remember trying to record myself with one of those and it made the snare and ride playing together sound like something big and steel repeatedly getting slammed in a factory. And the guitar I recorded was chorused on some parts and it captured the resonance of the chorus slowly going in and out of tune more than the actual notes of the song.

sonicl 02.20.2007 12:04 PM

Billy Childish comes to mind. Or does that have too much fi?

hotbutterknives 02.20.2007 12:26 PM

all the pre-starlight walker from the silver jews ... some of it is actually pretty damn good too

Rob Instigator 02.20.2007 02:18 PM

Eric's Trip - Forever Again
sounds like it was recorded on one o those portables!

Rob Instigator 02.20.2007 02:20 PM

and I am sure you have already heard most of pavement's WESTING BY MUSKET AND SEXTANT
that shit is awesome!

recorder grot! spizzle trunk!

Brett Robinson 02.20.2007 03:05 PM

SUCKDOG

screamingskull 02.20.2007 04:42 PM

Quote:

i love records that sound like they were recorded on a tape recorder in a toilet

Alot of the Flaming Lips'es Clouds Taste Metalic album was actually recorded in a toilet, the vocals anyway. If you watch the extra features on the 'Fearless Freaks' dvd then you can see them recording most of that album. It's pretty interesting.

toxic johnny 02.20.2007 04:59 PM

sometimes Smegma's Glamour Girl steers dangerously close to this territory... I love no fidelity recordings as well... especially the Dead C's discography... trying to think of some others now... Death Chants s/t is pretty barren as well as the Fall's Dragnet of course... I'm sure some others will come to mind... oh how about North Six by Ranaldo/O'Rourke and Giffoni?... this might not count though 'cause it's a live recording.

Glice 02.20.2007 05:00 PM

Quote:

thanks, it doesn't have to be like the bands i mentioned, it has to sound muckily recorded

I'm Being Good
Anything on Skingraft (but you knew that already, right?)
Melt Banana's Cactuses come in flocks
Urusei Yatsura We are...

The latter being my favourite vinyl album that I own.

jon boy 02.20.2007 05:04 PM

in many ways i prefer music that sounds badly recorded to ultra amazing clarity. a lot of my stuff is recorded very cheaply but i may crack and buy a stereo mic. its got to the point now where everything i do sounds too dirgy on that crappy tape recorder i have.