Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

!@#$%! 06.30.2015 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
i've tried- i love pride and prejudice and emma, but prefer to watch (including clueless.)

oh, yeah, i even fall asleep watching! though clueless was funny. seen it more than once. but those masterpiece theatre versions...

zzzz

i'm not saying it's her fault or anything. that would be ignorant of me. but yeah, can't connect with it.

wuthering heights on the other hand is INSANITY. is it even a novel? what is it? i don't know. hell.

used to be a time i sort of related what goes on in that novel. deranged passions & what not. fury and depression. fortunately not anymore. that kind of shit isn't fun when you live through it. almost got me killed.

schizophrenicroom 07.01.2015 12:43 AM

yeah, it's much more fun to read entirely detached from those feelings. it really isn't like any other novel (barring the avant garde-y post modern types, etc) just in terms of how claustrophobic every sentence feels.

gmku 07.01.2015 06:35 AM

How about some Mark Twain?

!@#$%! 07.01.2015 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
yeah, it's much more fun to read entirely detached from those feelings.

it brings memories of a deranged me calling my on/off/on/off/on/off/on/off crazy ex-girlfriend from a payphone that would take too many coins, screaming desperately:

"you're marrying lintoooon! you're marrying lintoooon!"

damn, those were desperate times.

of course we got back together, only to fuck it up again.

i read somewhere, a critic, praising the book, saying that writing it was probably what killed brontë. maybe it was bataille, yeah. ANYWAY. brrrrrrr! i do not miss insanity. romanticism my balls.

Mortte Jousimo 07.02.2015 12:15 AM

Read also Wuthering heights quite many years ago. What I remember that is that I didnīt like it as much as I thought I would like.

They have been translated Kimīs book in Finnish! Coming August.

pony 07.02.2015 03:20 PM

This was in the mail today:

good timing cause i handed in my thesis this morning!

Rob Instigator 07.02.2015 03:28 PM

!@#$%! 07.02.2015 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pony
This was in the mail today:

good timing cause i handed in my thesis this morning!

dammit, you're speedy! let me know when you get "the namesake" (her first novel), which is fucking great.

i just got something too:

THE SPARROW (MARY DORIA RUSSELL, 1996)

yes pony it is A WOMAN and the first pages of it are good clean prose that doesn't talk about "memememememememe", so i'm about to probably highly recommend it, but i'll only get into the meat of it this coming weekend so i'll let you know after that.

evollove 07.02.2015 05:24 PM

"Interpreter of Maladies" - O. Henry Award 1999, also Best American Short Stories 1999
"The Third and Final Continent" Best American Short Stories 2000
(later: "Nobody's Business" Best American Short Stories 2002)

See Pony, others give opinions. I give facts. If you had bowed before my vast erudition, you would've come across Lahiri anyway. Past volumes of O. Hen, BASS and Push are all dirt cheap, and you should've gotten a bunch. Imagine the riches. Instead, your life is now in tatters and suicide is the only honorable way out.

On second thought, I don't care what anyone reads. Never mind. Keep living.

!@#$%! 07.02.2015 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
[reduced for quick sale]

friends don't let friends speak douche

evollove 07.02.2015 05:34 PM

You actually liked THE NAMESAKE, so you're hopeless.

Others, bow down before me!!

!@#$%! 07.02.2015 05:54 PM

Quote:

You actually liked THE NAMESAKE, so you're hopeless.

Others, bow down before me!!

can't relate to a brown woman, eh?

get out of your whiteboy ghetto, wasp wannabe

evollove 07.02.2015 06:37 PM

That book's about a brown boy.

But I do sort of want to be a wasp.

tie

!@#$%! 07.02.2015 06:43 PM

Quote:

That book's about a brown boy.

you know he's an imaginary creation, right?

Quote:

But I do sort of want to be a wasp.

no... really? i if you hadn't told me this i never would have known :rolleyes:

namesake is great-- it's a story of degradation through integration

pony 07.02.2015 09:48 PM

Quote:

"Interpreter of Maladies" - O. Henry Award 1999, also Best American Short Stories 1999
"The Third and Final Continent" Best American Short Stories 2000
(later: "Nobody's Business" Best American Short Stories 2002)

See Pony, others give opinions. I give facts. If you had bowed before my vast erudition, you would've come across Lahiri anyway. Past volumes of O. Hen, BASS and Push are all dirt cheap, and you should've gotten a bunch. Imagine the riches. Instead, your life is now in tatters and suicide is the only honorable way out.

On second thought, I don't care what anyone reads. Never mind. Keep living.

Oooh, I will get some of those volumes! was only looking for Push, haven't found anything. at least not on german websites. But one or two BASS volumes is what i'll be getting as soon as I am getting paid!

evollove 07.03.2015 05:52 AM

Wish you lived closer. I could hook you up. I have about 1000 books and I'm thinking about cutting that in half.
---
Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
namesake is great-- it's a story of degradation through integration

I thought Philip Roth wrote that already.
----
Today's theory: literary fiction is a genre like any other. While it isn't as constrained as, say, mystery, it still has its conventions. The literary reader expects certain things from the work, and the work is considered successful if it delivers. This is ultimately more important than the race/gender/nationality of the author. I don't think it's fair that one group should produce all or even most of the works, but bringing in new voices doesn't really change the genre expectations.
---
I've read exactly one book in 2015, and it was about protest music.

!@#$%! 07.03.2015 08:49 AM

Quote:

Today's theory: literary fiction is a genre like any other. While it isn't as constrained as, say, mystery, it still has its conventions. The literary reader expects certain things from the work, and the work is considered successful if it delivers. This is ultimately more important than the race/gender/nationality of the author. I don't think it's fair that one group should produce all or even most of the works, but bringing in new voices doesn't really change the genre expectations.

pony 07.04.2015 09:20 PM

Quote:

Wish you lived closer. I could hook you up. I have about 1000 books and I'm thinking about cutting that in half.

1000? this makes me feel all warm inside and happy. books are great!

Rob Instigator 07.09.2015 10:59 AM

RXTT's Intellectual Journey continues with the exploration of the war between religion and science, as told by the President of Cornell University over 125 years ago. http://rxttbooks.blogspot.com/2015/0...d-attacks.html

evollove 07.09.2015 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!

I don't get it. Is that me or you? If it's me, that's the wrong sort of wasp I envy. If that's you, sorry I made you identify with someone who uses the word "spic."

Quote:

Originally Posted by pony
1000? this makes me feel all warm inside and happy. books are great!

They do furnish a room, but it's a fucking burden after awhile. All day they shout "Why aren't you reading one of us you lousy lazy bastard?" 500 is ideal. 1000 is just dumb gluttony.

My library has a killer book sale every single month, and they have for years. Only recently have I started resisting the urge to go. At least I didn't pay much for this torment.

!@#$%! 07.09.2015 04:06 PM

Quote:

I don't get it. Is that me or you? If it's me, that's the wrong sort of wasp I envy. If that's you, sorry I made you identify with someone who uses the word "spic.".

that was my reaction at that "theory" you presented. i just googled for "cringe" pictures and that was good. i could explain why i cringed, but it would be a long-form response, and at the time i didn't have the time or energy for such things, and i didn't know if you'd care for this spic's opinion either way.

evollove 07.09.2015 06:13 PM

Usually, yeah. But I dunno. I'm sick of lit at the moment. That's all. Probably best to save your energy for something more fun or someone who'll be more responsive.

!@#$%! 07.09.2015 06:20 PM

Quote:

Usually, yeah. But I dunno. I'm sick of lit at the moment. That's all. Probably best to save your energy for something more fun or someone who'll be more responsive.

see, a picture is indeed worth 1000 words. a moving gif, probably 10,000.

!@#$%! 07.10.2015 10:10 AM

rereading this funny little article:

http://lifehacker.com/how-i-broke-th...ity-1716887232

it's hilarious. also very good.

gmku 07.10.2015 06:27 PM

I live in a UNESCO city of literature.

evollove 07.11.2015 08:30 AM

^ Who has two thumbs and applied there for an undergraduate degree? Same guy who considered applying for a master's before he thought better of it.

gmku 07.11.2015 09:40 AM

What kept you from coming to the Athens of the Midwest?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.11.2015 08:13 PM

Folks are very interested in Harper Lee's book and totally overreacting to it because To Kill a mockingbird is in the literary canon..

Personally i think she never released it (a) because she more or less resented the success of MockingBird and (b) actually wrote the draft for this book BEFORE she wrote Mocking Bird and when she submitted the editor askes her to change the story to a child perspective. In the process she clearly revisioned the character of Attitcus and his relationship with his daughter, basically its an entirely different set of characters. I understand this "new" book is about adult Scout trying to reconcile with her elderly father and deal with his racism! That is about the polar opposite of the iconic Atticus so perhaps she never released this book because its not coherent?

Its been said her lawyer found a draft and "convinced" Lee to publish it but im skeptical that Lee was more coerced than convinced. If this book is as different than Mocking Bird then it almost makes sense why Lee wouldn't have released it..

If anything we may see Mocking Bird revisioned out of the canon now that apparently Atticus isn't who we thought he is.. or since the books were written in reverse chronological order thatperhaps we can say he aged to become a man we didn't expect him to become

evollove 07.12.2015 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
What kept you from coming to the Athens of the Midwest?

No undergrad acceptance due to bad high school grades, for which I blame humorless, sexless, embittered science and math teachers.

Later (and somewhat related to that amusing piece !@#$%! posted), I realized I didn't actually write the brilliant books I read, and I most likely would never be able to contribute anything worthwhile to the world of literature.

Are you a native or did you move there?

gmku 07.12.2015 06:42 AM

Both. I'm a returning native. I returned once before. I'm hoping the return is permanent this time around.

It's my home town, as much as any place can be for someone like me, whose parents moved so much. Born here, went to college here, have many uncles and cousins here as well as two siblings, have a few friends still here from my college days, and worked at the U of Iowa for 15 years after leaving the air force. Many acquaintances and "connections" from those years working here. It's the only place I know like the back of my hand.

evollove 07.13.2015 06:45 AM

I once visited a friend in Grinnell (most boring place ever?) and stopped by Iowa City for the afternoon. Seems like it would be hard to grow up there and not end up even a little cool.
---
I have some free time in August and I'm thinking about re-re-reading Anna Karenina. Why fuck around?

gmku 07.13.2015 09:51 AM

That is an understatement! It's why we had to move. My wife and I are completely perplexed why any 17- or 18-year-old kid would even consider coming to Grinnell to spend the next 4 years of their life. Really!? Out here on the empty prairie? There is almost literally nothing going on, ever, except, for the students, a lot of classes. The students study hard, work hard, and never seem to leave the dorms or the major buildings to have fun.

& yes, about Iowa City. Has always been a majorly cool place. The university, of course, has a lot to do with it. There's a wonderful vibe here that I've tried to convey to people who don't know the place, and I cannot quite get it right.

Quote:

I once visited a friend in Grinnell (most boring place ever?) and stopped by Iowa City for the afternoon. Seems like it would be hard to grow up there and not end up even a little cool.
---
I have some free time in August and I'm thinking about re-re-reading Anna Karenina. Why fuck around?

evollove 07.13.2015 12:12 PM

Gmku, you're old enough to remember Bloom County, right? Did you love it as much as I did? Impossible! Anyway, it's back.

https://www.facebook.com/berkeleybre...type=1&theater

gmku 07.13.2015 01:04 PM

Well, I liked it a lot, yes. It's back? Is it running as a syndicated strip?

Weirdly, that particular strip reflects how I'm feeling these day, since returning to Iowa City. "That was some nap!"

Rob Instigator 07.13.2015 01:14 PM

hahahah I loved Bloom County so much as a youngster and young adult. I still have the floppy Billy & The Boingers You Stink But I LOve You b/w I'm a Boinger.

evollove 07.13.2015 05:36 PM

Sweet.

Although I'm still mad Steve sold out and changed the name from Deathtongue.

Ha! Remember Opus auditioning with a tuba?

"No, it's a heavy metal band."
"Weighty brass. C'mon, gimme a break."

Rob Instigator 07.14.2015 08:11 AM

weighty brass!! Ha!! I remember that shit! Deathtongue...

evollove 07.14.2015 08:41 AM

I got the quote wrong. Still, really close for not having read it in over a decade.

http://assets.amuniversal.com/27a3b3...bf00163e41dd5b

This one kills me:

http://www.thecomicstrips.com/proper...b424a6957b.jpg

Rob Instigator 07.14.2015 08:51 AM

Reading this now

account of the authors travels in the jungles of Peru while on a 2 year fellowship to paint there, and how he ended up so removed from civilization and ended up eating humans along with his adopted tribe.
Real cool so far.

Severian 07.14.2015 09:21 PM

Oi Symbols, How goes the Sparrow?