Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Fall -15 Ways EP (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3001)

porkmarras 06.15.2006 09:03 AM

The Fall -15 Ways EP

Hey!Student
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...EBA53C3C0A1C7F

porkmarras 06.15.2006 09:05 AM

The $500 bottle of wine
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...C137B928CBF79D

alyasa 06.15.2006 09:15 AM

Thank you again, porkmarras...

Hip Priest 06.15.2006 09:23 AM

Splendid EP:

Glice 06.15.2006 11:58 AM

It will never be a bad day when there is a mention of the Fall. I'm going to make Middle Class Revolt the second album of theirs I listen to today (Cerebral Caustic was t'other).

Hip Priest 06.15.2006 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
It will never be a bad day when there is a mention of the Fall. I'm going to make Middle Class Revolt the second album of theirs I listen to today (Cerebral Caustic was t'other).

Did you get the recent reissues? Which do you prefer?

I find 'Cerebral Caustic' to be both the better LP and the better bonus disc, personally.

Glice 06.15.2006 12:13 PM

No actually, I don't like getting re-issues (which is stupid of me). Apart from the records from the mid-90's onwards, I can usually find the original pressing quite easy (picked up a lurid original Curious Oranj for £4 recently).

bytheriver 06.15.2006 03:22 PM

I have Grotesque, Hex Enduction, Fall Heads Roll, and 1984 - 1989. What should I get next, I was thinking This Nations Saving Grace?

Hip Priest 06.15.2006 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
No actually, I don't like getting re-issues (which is stupid of me). Apart from the records from the mid-90's onwards, I can usually find the original pressing quite easy (picked up a lurid original Curious Oranj for £4 recently).

That's fantastic - well done. 'I Am Curious Oranj' is one of my very favourite Fall LP's.

I very rarely see old Fall stuff either in record shops or charity type places - I did get a vinyl 'Seminal Live' recently, but you win with 'Oranj'!

Glice 06.15.2006 05:29 PM

Ooh, I do want a vinyl of Seminal Live though.

For some reason Bristol's record buying public have a habit of buying good things and then returning them. I keep finding things like 80's Diamanda Galas and Foetus (it's particularly that circle of musicians) in second hand stores. Again, earlier this year I picked up the Frenz Experiment for under a fiver. Score.

A Thousand Threads 06.15.2006 05:31 PM

that is really a score

thanks for the uploads, porkmarias

Glice 06.15.2006 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bytheriver
I have Grotesque, Hex Enduction, Fall Heads Roll, and 1984 - 1989. What should I get next, I was thinking This Nations Saving Grace?

Yes. And Perverted by Language. And Slates. And Curious Oranj. And the Real New Fall lp. And Are you are missing winner (a much maligned jewel in an over-jewelled crown). And Levitate (my favourite). And Cerebral Caustic. And the light-user syndrome. And, above all else, the Peel sessions box set.

I could go on.

But seriously, the box set might seem expensive, but it genuinely is worth the money. If you're in the UK you should be able to get it for under £30. Which works out £5 a CD. How great is that, eh?

Hip Priest 06.15.2006 05:35 PM

The Peel box set is unbeatable - every fan of every other band should be jealous of Fall fans for that set! Disc 3 of that set....there's nothing I can say to communicate the majesty. The £30 or whatever will seem like bargain of the lifetime when you hear the Peely version of 'Athlete Cured' - the finest 5 musical minutes ever. Ahh.....

Also, I agree with the recommendations for 'Cerebral Caustic' and 'Are You Are Missing Winner', but I would add 'The Infotainment Scan' (masterpiece), 'Bend Sinister' and 'The Unnutterable' ('Cyber Insekt' is my favourite Fall LP opening track).

Anyone in the UK who is within travelling distance of a branch of Fopp should just go there and buy a bagfull of Fall stuff very cheaply indeed. They do SY cheap too.

Glice 06.15.2006 05:44 PM

Ah, see I'm all about the version of Smile from disc 2... On and on and on and on and on and on it goes... The version of M5 from disc 5... He Pep from the same.... Blindness from disc 6... The Levitate session from disc 6...

It goes on. Yes. Everyone, without exception, should own this box set. I swear, they'll be studying this in schools longer than they will the Beatles...

The Unnutterable is a great album indeed. That strange Hawaiin guitar on Cyber insekt always sets me back a bit...

This is another reason I need a job. I have an incomplete Fall collection. Which is sick and wrong.

Hip Priest 06.15.2006 05:50 PM

Fopp, Manchester, cd's bought recently: Touch Sensitive (5-disc), I Am Curious Oranj, Light User Syndrome, 848945 B-Sides (2-disc), Wonderful and Frightening World, all for £32 new. Super.

'Cyber Insekt' makes me smile every time: the vicious start, the mellow Hawaiian guitar and that bassline (what's the word for the bassline? It's escaped me) all mixed together is a bit magical. Then it's straight into 'Two Librans', of course. Not to mention 'Dr Buck's Letter'.

The LP also has 'Hands Up Billy', written by guitarist Neville Wilding (listen to that song - similarities with 'Jerusalem'?) - I was rather upset when he left, as he and MES seemed to have a particularly good relationship, which I think is evident on the 1999 Touch Sensitive video.

Glice 06.15.2006 05:58 PM

I find it interesting that you seem to pick up a lot on MES's moods and relationships, Messr P. What I've cherished in the ten years of my Fall fan-dom is that I'm not really interested in reading into the band's personal lives. There's bits of auto-biography there, but more than any other band the Fall seem to be about resisting the kind of songs which lead you to read into the singer's life. Sort of a safety valve against the Cobain/ Curtis type 'tragedies'.

But all that aside, Hands up Billy is a great song. It's a shame that Neville chap left. I wasn't so keen on the last song on Heads Roll. Sounds like QOTSA to me. Which is ok. Just not the Fall.

Hip Priest 06.15.2006 06:11 PM

I think that, due to all of the personnel changes, the relationship of MES with the other members is integral to the band, and therefore an unavoidable interest - The Fall's sound morphs as regularly as the line-up, and I think that that when things are going well, there is an unexpectedly democratic nature to The Fall. That said,I take your point - I only really have an interset in the band members relationships within the band, if you see what I mean.

The Fall, as was written recently, 'lend themselves to obsession'.

Neville Wilding left over a payment dispute, but he had previously gotten away with hitting MES: One of the strangest entrances is that of Nick Dewey, who attended the 1999 Reading festival as the manager of the Chemical Brothers and ended up on stage with the Fall. "This drunk man [guitarist Neville Wilding] came backstage asking if anyone played drums," he says. "The band had had a fight and left the drummer at motorway services." Dewey hadn't played for 10 years, but once a Chemical Brother put his name forward, Wilding refused to take no for an answer. Dewey was led to a darkened tour bus to meet Smith, "passed out with his shirt off. The guitarist had to punch him in the face to wake him up. Then they began fighting over whether or not they should teach me the songs. Mark said no!" With a blood-covered Smith offering occasional prompts, Dewey pulled it off.

That comes from this artcle, incidentally, in which Dave Simpson attempted to track down all of the ex-members.

Genteel Death 04.01.2010 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hip Priest

That comes from this artcle, incidentally, in which Dave Simpson attempted to track down all of the ex-members.

I've just finished reading Dave Simpson's book ''THE FALLen''. I liked most of the stories by the ex members, and I was particularly taken with Una Baines, Kay Carroll and Marc Riley's accounts. The only thing that I didn't like is Dave Simpson's ''legendary fall this and legendary mark e smith that'' on almost every page, plus the daft theories. Then again, I find hardcore fans of The Fall tend to be mostly overbearing.

Genteel Death 04.01.2010 03:59 PM

On the other hand, at the moment I'm particularly feeling ''Jawbone And The Air-Rifle'' and ''Fortress/Deer Park''. Both fucking great songs.

fugazifan 04.02.2010 11:57 AM

my favorite is hex enduction hour. i recently got the wonderful and frightening world, on vinyl, and it is fantastic.
one of my favorite bands.
ive been meaning to read fallen. someday...