Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Describe the Perfect Record (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=11422)

demonrail666 03.17.2007 07:38 PM

Describe the Perfect Record

Desscribe a record that doesn't exist but gets closest to what you imagine perfection to be.

Mine would be about 2 - 2 1/2 mins long. open up with lots of trebly feedback and then straight into a kind of walking bass-line but played on guitar. Female Poly-Styrene-like vocals really hidden in the mix behind wall of Spray Paint-era Greg Ginn style multiple-guitar riffs. No solos. Drums have that sloppy Pussy Galore style oil drum sound. Lyrics make tons of references to drugs and prostitution. The song doesn't so much end as finally fall apart as each member loses where they are.

[Edit] Hang on, I think I might've just described the Action Swingers. :o

terminal pharmacy 03.17.2007 08:21 PM

good luck with that

HECKLER SPRAY 03.17.2007 08:39 PM

I don't like perfection. Sister is good enough for me.

pantophobia 03.17.2007 08:43 PM

cohesiveness

that; all I to say

demonrail666 03.17.2007 08:45 PM

Lack of cohesion is my sole reply

Sonic Youth 37 03.17.2007 10:41 PM

Daydream Nation

nomowish 03.18.2007 01:07 AM

This is a fun idea.

It would be a fusion of pop and experimental elements. Both melodic and so out-there that you can't tell where many of the sounds are coming from. But it succeeds at expressing certain identifiable feelings through music and not so much through words. There's a female and male vocalist with totally unique singing styles and sometimes they perform together. Each song is moving towards the next and is connected like a skeleton bone. Every sound is replicable live, so none of that studio trickery. The whole record sounds like a statement, like something new, with few if any identifable influences.

If I were to continue, I wouldn't stop.

ZEROpumpkins 03.18.2007 01:40 AM

Every song is solid and good, and sticks to one genre. If I want variety, i'll buy another album.

fluxequalsrad 03.18.2007 01:55 AM

Pavement - Wowee Zowee
Smashing Pumpkins - Mellencollie and the Infinate Sadness
Sonic Youth - Murray Street
Sonic Youth - Washing Machine

I love plenty of other albums 100% through and through, but albums either have to have ::
1. Kick your ass so hard after the first song you can't wait to hear that first song again and the the second song owns the first song

2. Be moderately good on first listen and then slowly eek its way into your nostalgia of the time and become some super-human album type thing.

k-krack 03.18.2007 02:04 AM

Lots of incredibly fucking weird sounds, confusing and mind-blowing.
Cool-sounding vocals, lots of "YEEAOWOA" and yelps and yips and moans and whatnot... Cool lyrics (be they fucked up or emotive or just neutral and cooool)...(same as Flux's #2, a kind of time-release love... that creeps up on you)...A balance of hook and awesome fucking twisting, confusing time signature'd insane guitar lines... (Picture the Flying Luttenbachers with Pavement... WEIRD!)

It would be fucked up.

something 03.18.2007 02:05 AM

eels electro shock blues
radiohead ok computer
dropkick murphys do or die
sonic youth a thousand leaves

fishmonkey 03.18.2007 06:10 AM

wowee zowee.

_slavo_ 03.18.2007 07:32 AM

- rythmic pulse like in "The World Looks Red"
- Liars-style vocals
- long, fast and angry