Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Who the fuck is Skrillex? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=77625)

E. Noisefield 05.10.2012 10:40 AM

Who the fuck is Skrillex?

I know that this is a project by a former singer from some "Alternative Press tour"-type band, which probably called themselves screamo and sucked. Why, then, is he suddenly the frickin' pope? My much younger cousin's friend, who has never been a music fan, or even mentioned music in my presence, commented on how awesome Skrillex is the other day on Facebook. In order for this boy to be into it, it must be pretty big (and all the rage at fraternity parties), but I'd only heard the name associated with korn. I looked it up, and it doesn't even look like this guy has released any actual albums; just collaborated and released a lot of internet material. I'm very out of sync with popular culture, as I've said many times, but this appears to be something big, and to me it sounds like dubstep and possibly "electroclash" (god I feel silly using all these terms) are being co-opted and milked by a douche-bag, and that that's pretty much all there is to it.

Does anybody have any constructive thoughts on this? Why is this Skrillex anomaly reaching college kids who don't listen to music? Where the hell did this come from, and should it be taken seriously? I just feel so goddamn old when I think about stuff like this.

louder 05.10.2012 11:14 AM

Skrillex is trash. an emo/scene guy turned into a shitty 'brostep' (to differentiate from real dubstep) artist.

tripsk 05.10.2012 12:05 PM

a faggot

Count Mecha 05.10.2012 12:26 PM

I have a friend who's a substitute teacher at the moment and he's always telling me stories about how the high school students he subs go apeshit over skrillex. He says he gets pretty demoralized because it's apparent that these kids are really only interested in the most absurdly popular and by extension mindless stuff going on these days, ie skrillex and call of duty.

These same kids couldn't identify Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, or John Lennon in a pop culture power point my friend was giving, so there's a dose of painful irony in there as well.

E. Noisefield 05.10.2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Mecha

These same kids couldn't identify Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, or John Lennon in a pop culture power point my friend was giving, so there's a dose of painful irony in there as well.

Couldn't identify JOHN LENNON?

That is deeply, severely disturbing and unsettling to me. Seriously. Your friend there should take some observational data and make that shit public. That is completely and utterly absurd.

louder 05.10.2012 01:12 PM

now i'm reminded that the other day i met a girl who claimed she's heard of The Beatles, but she doesn't know anything about them. the fucking Beatles. and she was PROUD of it.

E. Noisefield 05.10.2012 01:34 PM

"Yes! I lack knowledge!"

I don't get it. I just don't fucking get it.

louder 05.10.2012 01:39 PM

"why should i even know their songs? aren't they, like, from the 60's or something?"

louder 05.10.2012 01:47 PM

Count Mecha 05.10.2012 01:47 PM

Yeah, every time he tells me one of those stories, I'm extremely disturbed by it haha. The english teacher he often subs for plans to retire (she was also his and mine high school english teacher) because she just can't stand how apathetic the kids have apparently become. They're also really huge Ray William Johnson fans, just to have another strike against them.

tripsk 05.10.2012 01:48 PM

'you need to stop listening to that grandpa stuff bro. here let me turn on this awesome new dubstep song'

Count Mecha 05.10.2012 01:50 PM

That isn't far from it I guess. Anything with any remote age on it is just immediately uninteresting to them I guess.

louder 05.10.2012 01:52 PM

this album came to my world as a gift from the gods, to cure me from the ill mind of the brosteppers.

EVOLghost 05.10.2012 04:06 PM

Count mecha's posts have officially determined my suicide date.

Glice 05.10.2012 06:59 PM

Oh, fuck all of you twats. How many of you went to fwd? How many of you even know what fwd was? None, except you're about to google it. I went, I got bored, I kept half an ear on it, I still find it less interesting than the ice rink riddim (go on, google it again).

I know there are some much heavier dubstep heads than me reading and they're ignoring this thread because dubstep WASN'T EXCITING 6 YEARS AGO. You're basically talking about Leo Sayer. Criticising Leo Sayer in 2012 is what my Dad does.

Skrillex is shit, but getting all high and mighty about how shit he is (and none of you mentioned that he's a massive racist, which is the only decent reason to criticise him) is just bandwagon jumping bullshit. He's shit, but kids like him, same as how you liked some utter shite at some point before you developed your oh-so-sophisticated taste in ever-so-slightly distinct horsecock, ten-a-penny shite.

Glice 05.10.2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
now i'm reminded that the other day i met a girl who claimed she's heard of The Beatles, but she doesn't know anything about them. the fucking Beatles. and she was PROUD of it.

Why should anyone know the Beatles? Do you know anything about Barber? Tell me about Barber.

People don't know about stuff, you know about stuff, they can probably shit on you in terms of HTML5. Stop being a massive prick.

Derek 05.10.2012 07:25 PM

This thread is fucking awful.

Derek 05.10.2012 07:32 PM

Anyone on this board making fun of Skrillex is like when people who aren't young girls make fun of Justin Bieber. They're both terrible of course, but it's not music made for us. These type of artists get so much attention because people take them seriously despite being completely innocuous.

Can I also mention that Skrillex is probably one of the easiest targets in music today and it'd probably be a better use of your time criticizing the new insanely mediocre Animal Collective songs?

SonicBebs 05.11.2012 01:30 AM

The only people worth criticizing at all are David Tennant and Alan Titchmarsh. And Paul fucking Scholes.
Otherwise it just makes you look silly

Genteel Death 05.11.2012 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
I'm very out of sync with popular culture

You're terrbily out of synch with music in general, so all this crap written like you want to be some lame music hack reads like a pile of shit. Go listen to fucking Vampire Weekend or Sebadoh and leave music writing to people who know what they are doing.