Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Horror fans, please help me remember this show -- it's driving me nuts. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=58333)

noisereductions 09.16.2011 09:45 AM

Horror fans, please help me remember this show -- it's driving me nuts.

in the early 90's there was a show on cable -- maybe USA or TNN or one of those. I don't know how long it last, probably not long. But the idea wa this: they took a shitty movie, and condensed it down into a half-hour. They just showed you the good parts (though edited for TV) and narrated any plot points you'd need to know. The only movies I remember them airing were Troll and Pumpkinhead. I've been trying to find the name of this show for YEARS.

demonrail666 09.16.2011 10:08 AM

I've looked up any reference to it with a version of Pumpkinhead but can't find anything. The fact there's added narration makes it look like an official re-cut so I'm surprised neither IMDB or Wiki mentioned it.

noisereductions 09.16.2011 10:11 AM

I know man it was such a weird show, I'd love to find episodes.

floatingslowly 09.16.2011 10:28 AM

USA Saturday Nightmares?

TNT MonsterVision?

youtubes exist of both. sorry too busy to verify.

noisereductions 09.16.2011 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floatingslowly
USA Saturday Nightmares?

TNT MonsterVision?

nope and nope.

Saturday Nightmares were just jull horror movies played during a certain timeslot. There was no host or anything.

MonsterVision was Joe Bob Briggs' show. Again, mostly full movies, but with bumpers.

This shit drives me crazy.

LifeDistortion 09.16.2011 01:54 PM

I know what show you are talking about, but I can't remember the name of it. I was looking online to see if I could find what it was but came up blank on the name. Yet, I do know the show, and used to watch it. I'm not even sure I can remember what network they showed it on. Its a show where they featured like three movies each episode, allowing about 10 minutes or so showing a handful of scenes. The name is driving me crazy and I just can't recall it or find it online but I know it existed.

noisereductions 09.16.2011 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
I know what show you are talking about, but I can't remember the name of it. I was looking online to see if I could find what it was but came up blank on the name. Yet, I do know the show, and used to watch it. I'm not even sure I can remember what network they showed it on. Its a show where they featured like three movies each episode, allowing about 10 minutes or so showing a handful of scenes. The name is driving me crazy and I just can't recall it or find it online but I know it existed.

yeah I was starting to think it was 2 movies per episode, with each movie cut to 15 mins...

dirty bunny 09.19.2011 03:48 PM

So it's not Mystery Science Theatre? Probably not, as they would heckle the film and you didn't mention that. But it was an awesome show, so I am mentioning it.

noisereductions 09.19.2011 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirty bunny
So it's not Mystery Science Theatre? Probably not, as they would heckle the film and you didn't mention that. But it was an awesome show, so I am mentioning it.

no it wasn't. Sigh.

noisereductions 01.27.2016 04:40 PM

bump?

EVOLghost 01.27.2016 04:51 PM

4 years and nothing? I'm sorry man.

noisereductions 01.27.2016 05:18 PM

actually it's probably longer. This was the 2nd thread I started on here trying to find the same damn show. :\

Someday I'll find it. I hope.

Drjohnrock 02.06.2016 05:59 PM

Mad Movies?

Severian 02.23.2016 06:11 PM

I haven't a clue my friend. I don't even really get what the point of such a thing would be. Cutting horror films down to be tv-appropriate is one thing... making them half an hour and only showing plot essentials is sheer insanity.

Do you remember what the narration was like? For instance, was it serious? Comedic? Did it sound like the movie was being "pitched" at all? Did the same person narrate every episode?

I know HBO has long done breakdowns of upcoming films that run about ½ hour but those are mainly for advertising purposes.

I'm really curious about this now. So if you can recall anything else about it, say something. I didn't watch a ton of tv as a kid, but I know what it's like to remember something from your youth and to be unable to track it down. Fucking bloody frustrating.

_tunic_ 02.24.2016 12:05 PM

I don't know, I live in Europe, we only have TV since two years..
But I would ask on some other site/forum if you really want to know, imdb perhaps?

noisereductions 02.24.2016 02:06 PM

sometimes I think I'm just remembering it wrong. Maybe it wasn't condensed. But there was def narration at parts. Like before/after commercials.

Sometimes I think it was Monster Vision - it def could have been Billy Bob talking... but I've never been able to track down the Pumpkinhead episode of MV.

And I don't know about the like little cartoon hearts or whatever that covered up violence. But again - is my memory playing tricks on me? Was that just from clips of "I love the 80's" or whatever and I'm remembering all wrong?

That's the shitty thing about memories. The longer they last, the more they seem to distort.

noisereductions 02.24.2016 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepper_green
mmm, Up all Night?!?! that wasn't really horror films though.

def not Up All Night. I know my UAN history. I straight studied that show. And actually they showed a fair share of horror. I discovered so much great trash thru Up All Night, tho.