Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Made In USA...underated album? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=11689)

Washing Machine 03.26.2007 06:42 PM

Made In USA...underated album?

I love the 'Made in USA' soundtrack, It incapulates everything thats great about SY's 1980's output. I would certainly put it in my top 5 favourite SY records. In many ways I think its actually a bit better than EVOL. It hardly ever gets mentioned so I thought I would start a thread to show the record some love...

zedius 03.26.2007 07:33 PM

I picked it up, and listened to it twice. I like that one song with lyrics. I'd like to give it another shot, because if anyone would put it in their top 5 then I am missing something.

Chris Lawrence 03.26.2007 08:09 PM

greatest fuckin' record every made by anyone, ever. perfect 'sister record' to evol.

RdTv 03.26.2007 08:46 PM

Definetly like it and Washine Machine is right, its one of those that gets overlooked as well as Silver Sessions. Both of which are ace and deserve more exposure to our ears.

val-holla-ing 03.26.2007 09:36 PM

that's the only album i haven't heard or own. i can't find a copy of it in stores and searching for SY stuff on ebay is a total pain.

hirsute_biped 03.26.2007 11:59 PM

i like the instrumentals a lot, good mellow space huzz ("moon in the bathroom", etc...) very good for transitional interludes on mixtapes, as i have said before. not unlike thurston's score for "heavey".

also, i want to get a little cactus and affix it to the dashboard of my truck like the pic from the album sleeve (i have vinyl version). i dunno if it's a still from the film, of the SY tour van of the era, or what, but i imagine its kind of like taking a bit of death valley with you wherever you go...

SY on RHINO!

p.s. the specially printed plastic sleeve is getting brittle, and maybe even shrinking as i can't easily get the record inside it anymore. now they both live inside another bigger plastic sleeve, wedged between the self titled EP reissue and the goo reissue. i need to get more SY on vinyl... i degress...

Protectmeyou 03.27.2007 04:41 AM

excellent record, but top 5? no....

Washing Machine 03.28.2007 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
greatest fuckin' record every made by anyone, ever. perfect 'sister record' to evol.

Exactly, I really miss the era of Sonic Youth doing road music

Bal 03.28.2007 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Washing Machine
Exactly, I really miss the era of Sonic Youth doing road music

i couldnt have said it better myself!!!

_slavo_ 03.28.2007 04:56 AM

I don't like that album that much. Yeah, Secret Girls is wonderful and belongs to my Sonic Youth TOP Three song list, but it's on EVOL anyway.

Washing Machine 03.28.2007 06:22 AM

Someone said that the EVOL era sounds really dated, but thats what I love about it I think. As good as Sonic Youth's new music is, I dont think they write 'mood music' anymore, music that sets up strong images in your head. If you close you're eyes to EVOL or Made In USA you could easily be driving across the country at midnight.

GrungeMonkey 03.28.2007 07:57 AM

I always found Bad Moon Rising to have more of that atmospheric road music feel to it than EVOL... Both albums are great though.

deathbyfeedback 03.28.2007 09:02 AM

i really like it.well 80% of it.

screamingskull 03.28.2007 03:34 PM

i would LOVE for sonic youth to put out another album like Made In USA, i'm really getting into the whitey album at the moment too.

Danny Himself 03.28.2007 05:31 PM

The Whitey Album rules, but not as much as Master-Dik. We're Ciccone! Chuh chuh chuh chuh ciccone!

something 03.28.2007 05:32 PM

the only time i got to hear was a few years back me and my exgirlfriend found a copy of it at a used/rare record store she kept it when we broke up yarghh i say yargh

Washing Machine 03.28.2007 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by screamingskull
i would LOVE for sonic youth to put out another album like Made In USA, i'm really getting into the whitey album at the moment too.

Me too! I always wanted SY to release another electronically influenced record, kinda like that Kim Gordon SYR record.

Jt 03.28.2007 06:43 PM

The Whitey Album... Christ, isn't it brilliant? I love those almost krautrock-style instrumentals they have on there. Macbeth, Platoon II, Children Of Satan/Third Fig... righteous. Not to mention the covers.

I like a lot of Made In USA but I find it's too compromising, like... it doesn't really pursue any direction. It just sits there. Tuck N Dar's cool, mind.

Washing Machine 03.28.2007 06:55 PM

Yeah I love Tuck N Dar. The music probebly worked really well with the original cut of the film though....which I have yet to see. Its almost impossible to get a hold of.

atsonicpark 03.30.2007 10:19 AM

it's sonic youth's best.