Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   T-Rex (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=11882)

sarramkrop 04.02.2007 04:31 PM

T-Rex

afterthefact 04.02.2007 04:36 PM

I always think I like them, until I listen to them, and then I remember I don't really...

luxinterior 04.02.2007 04:39 PM

They mean a great deal to me, more than any other group. Huge, huge fan.

luxinterior 04.02.2007 04:46 PM

sonicl was kind enough to send me photos he took of the place, and all of the stuff the fans have left there since. And yes, they do make me happy. They're really one of the few rock bands who bring a genuine smile to my face. I owe them a lot. I basically got into music through them. I am sure I would have caught on eventually, but sometimes I wonder how long it would have taken before it happened, had I not heard their music when I did.

atari 2600 04.02.2007 04:57 PM

He has some good songs...but he's really repetitive.

John Peel didn't like him because he maintained that Marc changed after he gained notoriety. Said Bolan was a cunt, and Bowie wasn't much more decent.

The original is indeed a classic (as is the Electric Warrior album), but I still like The Power Station version too.

Everyneurotic 04.02.2007 05:03 PM

children of the revoluuuuution!!!!
it's nice to listen to him every once in a while.

luxinterior 04.02.2007 05:04 PM

More groups should probably enlist a bongo player. It really shaped their overall sound. Separates them from other bands that were bunched under the glam rock banner. When Mickey Finn died a few years ago, my mom heard about it before I did, and I remember her calling to tell me that it had just been announced on the radio. I was very sad, because that band just hasn't had the best of luck in terms of its members staying alive.

luxinterior 04.02.2007 05:07 PM

Oh, and when I first started playing the guitar, their songs were always very easy to learn. I mean yes it was repetitive, but the songs are still very distinct to me, but then again I did spend an amazing amount of time listening to this group early on. I can't think of anything else since T. Rex that has really captured my interest in quite the same way. It was immediate and just overwhelming, it took over my whole life at the time.

luxinterior 04.02.2007 05:19 PM

I can't for the life of me remember how I first heard their music. That period of my life is a blur to me. I do have memories though of listening to Electric Warrior in my dad's apartment, almost immediately after he and my mom split up. I always connect their music (or that album, at least) to my dad moving out. This was some time in junior high, and I just remember feeling really odd because none of my friends had heard of T. Rex. So I started keeping to myself a lot, hahahaha.

cryptowonderdruginvogue 04.02.2007 05:20 PM

i love t. rex

luxinterior 04.02.2007 05:21 PM

I am so glad you showed up here crypto. You always manage to surprise me in a pleasant way.

luxinterior 04.02.2007 05:22 PM

And anyone who doesn't take Diesel up on his offer to form a band is delusional. Diesel has great things in store for himself.

luxinterior 04.02.2007 05:25 PM

Has he ever posted a picture of himself anywhere on this board? If so, I must have missed it, but nevertheless I imagine that he's one handsome devil.

AllHandsOnTheBigOne 04.02.2007 05:27 PM

Glam is ghey.

cryptowonderdruginvogue 04.02.2007 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllHandsOnTheBigOne
Glam is ghey.

:rolleyes:

AllHandsOnTheBigOne 04.02.2007 05:32 PM

I'm sorry. I just can't think of one glam record that's half decent.

cryptowonderdruginvogue 04.02.2007 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllHandsOnTheBigOne
I'm sorry. I just can't think of one glam record that's half decent.

uuhhhmm...

Everyneurotic 04.02.2007 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel
it's my moms fault, everything has been complete madness ever since she gave me that 'seventh son...' iron maiden tape when i was 11.

nice!!!

cryptowonderdruginvogue 04.02.2007 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luxinterior
I am so glad you showed up here crypto. You always manage to surprise me in a pleasant way.

aww, thats sweet of ya

but yeah, electric warrior is one of my favorite albums

AllHandsOnTheBigOne 04.02.2007 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cryptowonderdruginvogue
uuhhhmm...

Don't dig em. Bowie bores me to tears. Sorry.