Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Kurt Vile (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=106122)

Rather_Ripped 05.06.2014 02:21 AM

Kurt Vile

I love the last 2 records. Can anyone figure out the tuning to "Pure pain"? I've got some of his other Tunings if anyone wants to know them.

guest 05.06.2014 03:52 AM

this guy is symptomatic of everything that is wrong with contemporary indie rock. total wallpaper trash. he and the war on drugs make me want to commit fucking harakiri.

Rather_Ripped 05.06.2014 11:21 AM

Too bad he has some good Tunings and a nice acoustic guitar.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 05.06.2014 02:59 PM

Toilet & Bowels 05.12.2014 03:28 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3atY5ER00w

I think he's pretty good

Rather_Ripped 05.17.2014 12:55 AM

Can anyone help me figure out the tuning to "pure pain"?
Thanks for any help!!!

chocolate_ladyland 05.17.2014 03:47 PM

listen to Angel Olsen instead

chocolate_ladyland 05.17.2014 03:50 PM

but he's alright i guess

Rather_Ripped 06.15.2014 02:31 PM

Can someone please help me with this tuning

Genteel Death 06.15.2014 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guest
this guy is symptomatic of everything that is wrong with contemporary indie rock. total wallpaper trash. he and the war on drugs make me want to commit fucking harakiri.

I think you should just listen to the many over-hyped Australian bands back home to truly understand what may eventually drive you to commit harakiri.

Chocolate milk 06.21.2014 08:08 AM

yeah i really like him actually... not getting the hate. i think his most recent album wasn't as strong as "smoke ring for my halo" but that's cus i'm biased towards the john fahey style acoustics more than the 80s style shimmer beats... tho both have their place under the sun

i also tend to focus a lot on lyrics, & lyrics i can relate with can bring me into new genres or vastly different acts... his words get my go-ahead... hardly wallpaper to me, can be quite arresting... those earlier albums too, more experimental & lo-fi, have that thing i like best about those types of albums - that "zooming into a snowglobe" effect.. his stuff is totally rewarding to listen into, and i perceive him as having some real depth

slightly less enthusiastic about the war on drugs, but they'd still be a draw to me on a bill at a festival... in any event, the dude is having his success lately, and i for one am proud of him!

guest 06.25.2014 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
I think you should just listen to the many over-hyped Australian bands back home to truly understand what may eventually drive you to commit harakiri.

examples pls. although I do agree with you, I'd say it's 25/75, some of those more jangly bands are pure shite, LIKE VILE not in that they're not proficient songwriters (which they most definitely are) but more so in that listening to their music is like taking x and never really coming up, you just sort of enter into that lull. prescription painkiller music.

regardless, he's not nearly as bad as say the war on drugs.
/forced discussion.

Jim72 07.23.2014 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guest

:mad:

Fuck off, the new War on Drugs album is a snoozefest but Wakin on a Pretty Daze was one of the better singer-songwriter records of last year. I remember seeing an old Kim interview (maybe 2008 or 2009) where she talks about loving his current release at that time too

Jim72 07.23.2014 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
like him just fine. nothing to hate here. writes good songs.

Yup. Never Run Away, Goldtone and the title track were some of my favourites from last year, it's just relaxing music

guest 07.29.2014 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim72
:mad:

Fuck off

lol

to be honest I was doing the poor sod a disservice by comparing him to those fucking hacks, and yes he's a very talented guitarist/songwriter/CONVENTIONAL MUSICIAN and that's fine, but when an individual is afforded the extent of praise he has received for background noise then I can't help but take umbrage. there is so much out there which is starved of attention pushing music in far more intriguing directions, and yet this man is praised as some godlike genius. fahey + on the beach ain't too inventive a combination.