Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Mainstream Bands You Have Respect For (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3912)

dazedcola 07.08.2006 02:23 PM

Mainstream Bands You Have Respect For

I hate all those stupid indie snobs who won't listen to something just because its well known or on the radio. Good music is good music. It shouldnt matter if a hundred or a million people know it for you to check it out.There actually are some great bands around nowadays that are on tv (although not many).

Some that i still like/respect:
Radiohead
White Stripes
Queens of the Stone Age
Hives

m^a(t)h 07.08.2006 02:25 PM

radiohead
billy corgan
sigur ros

thats about it...

FruitLoop 07.08.2006 02:27 PM

Bob Marley & The Wailers
System of a Down
Tenacious D

And uh... Violent Femmes, though they're hardly a mainstream band, save for Blister in the Sun

nomadicfollower 07.08.2006 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazedcola
I hate all those stupid indie snobs who won't listen to something just because its well known or on the radio. Good music is good music. It shouldnt matter if a hundred or a million people know it for you to check it out.There actually are some great bands around nowadays that are on tv (although not many).

Some that i still like/respect:
Radiohead
White Stripes
Queens of the Stone Age
Hives

That's my list, too, minus Hives, as I haven't heard anything by them before.
I respect Outkast as a rap group, as well.

FruitLoop 07.08.2006 02:30 PM

^^^^ Good call on Outkast.

One more band: Sonic Youth :D

Style 07.08.2006 02:46 PM

Sonic Youth (Obviously)
The Flaming Lips (Not sure about the last cd)
My Bloody Valentine
Violent Femmes
Echo & The Bunnymen
Elliott Smith

Not everyone would consider these to be mainstream, but I think after you land on mtv and some soundtracks, you become part of the mainstream.

PAULYBEE2656 07.08.2006 04:10 PM

without a doubt, radiohead. total respect
white stripes too
franz ferdinand to some degree as they are not a bad band, like em or not, they can play
blur cuz they seem to get better with age, although they did chuck out graham coxon of whom ive got a lot of time for because he seems a genuinely nice guy

dont get the outkast thing myself....
i did have respect for the flaming lips but now they are just cabaret

there is more but i cant think...
depeche mode

so what if they sell millions of records, you can still like em!

HaydenAsche 07.08.2006 04:11 PM

Radiohead
Arcade Fire
Death Cab
Postal Service
Sufjan Stevens
Cat Power
Modest Mouse

LifeDistortion 07.08.2006 04:15 PM

SY
Pearl Jam
Radiohead
Bjork

LNC 07.08.2006 04:23 PM

SY
flaming lips
sigur ros
bjork
arcade fire
yyys
shins
modest mouse
interpol
radiohead
hives
and everybody will write, more-or-less, same artists

acousticrock87 07.08.2006 04:24 PM

Jimmy Eat World
John Mayer Trio
Arctic Monkeys
Chris Isaak

Also Beck, Bjork, White Stripes, etc., but that's pretty accepted here.

LittlePuppetBoy 07.08.2006 04:32 PM

Smashing Pumpkins
Radiohead
Bloc Party
Arcade Fire
Interpol
Matthew Good
DFA 1979
REM

luxinterior 07.08.2006 04:34 PM

I think it goes beyond respect. When all I can say about an artist is that I respect them, it usually means that I don't listen to their music, but they can play well, or some other thing. Or maybe they influenced a lot of musicians that I do listen to. And what sort of thing counts? I mean, when I saw this topic, the first things that came to mind were Michael Jackson, Prince, Culture Club, and whatnot, because I love them, and they are all different kinds of popular music. But then I see other people listing Radiohead, and while although they are mainstream, no "indie" fan is going to tease you mercilessly for liking them. Maybe if you said Marilyn Manson or something, like I was going to say, then yes, the criticism will be there. But I treat him and his band the same way I do any other band I listen to. For instance, I will say something like "I don't like the band unless Twiggy is in it," which is true. But I say the same kind of thing about other bands that I listen to that aren't as popular. The difference is that most people already have a sort of concept of people who listen to Marilyn Manson, whatever it may be. So if I were to tell someone that I like to listen to Nick Cave, T. Rex, and Marilyn Manson, chances are that they will latch on to the Manson thing and try to peg me down by that alone, because it is the most recognizable, even though the other two are well-known enough to have their albums sold in most music-selling chain stores. And with T. Rex especially, they were at one point the biggest band in the world, but still no one I went to school with was familiar with them (even though they may have listened to David Bowie and things of that sort). So what I'm saying is that I think it's a cop-out to list bands that are indie rock favorites, even though they may be popular. So when I consider popular mainstream artists to list, obviously Michael Jackson is going to be infinitely more popular than Sonic Youth and bands with their degree of popularity.

jon boy 07.08.2006 04:40 PM

i have respect for the white stripes but as far as other commercial mainstream indie bands go i just dont have time for them.

Cantankerous 07.08.2006 04:45 PM

I am trying to get my post count up.
The Rolling Stones. They're fuckin old.

contort:myself 07.08.2006 04:56 PM

michael mcdonald

Cantankerous 07.08.2006 04:57 PM

hahahahahahah

flophousefloozie 07.08.2006 05:53 PM

beck?

GrumpyOldMan 07.08.2006 06:12 PM

Bruce Springsteen
Neil Young
Beck
White Stripes
Radiohead
The Who

I'd say that's about it.

nomadicfollower 07.08.2006 06:27 PM

I, for some reason, was thinking more along the lines of modern mainstream bands, but if any and all radio friendly bands are included, then I'd like to add Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Jimi Hendrix, Rolling Stones, The Who.....and many more in that vein.