Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   shitty singers in indie bands (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=13358)

Toilet & Bowels 05.22.2007 06:56 AM

shitty singers in indie bands

galaxie 500
unwound
sleater kinney
1000000 other bands.

what's the deal?

nicfit 05.22.2007 07:01 AM

everybody wants to play guitar to get the ladies.

ZEROpumpkins 05.22.2007 07:14 AM

Wayne Coyne's voice got to me sometimes.

_slavo_ 05.22.2007 07:15 AM

sleater kinney??? oh NO! I think the girls are unique and no way shitty.

Connor Oberst is shitty.
That guy from Unicorns is shitty.
That guy from Decemberists is uber-shitty.

Toilet & Bowels 05.22.2007 07:17 AM

galaxie 500's music is so great that it makes up for that guy being the worst ever singer.

i used to really like sleater kinney but the other day i put on a couple of their records (dig me out & call the doctor) for the first time in years and couldn't understand how i used to be able to enjoy listening to their voices.

_slavo_ 05.22.2007 07:33 AM

I forgot one more...maybe it does not really count, since Joanna Newsom is no band, but oh God, what an appalling voice she's got.

On the other hand, for example Metric is a terribly shitty band with a great singer (Emily Haynes).

ALIEN ANAL 05.22.2007 07:36 AM

im for joanne newsoms voice

fishmonkey 05.22.2007 07:57 AM

ever hear of a band called "clap yr hands say yeah!"

i was in my local at the weekend and the whole of one of their albums was been played, fuckin hell, that singer's voice was drilling through my head.

_slavo_ 05.22.2007 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishmonkey
ever hear of a band called "clap yr hands say yeah!"

i was in my local at the weekend and the whole of one of their albums was been played, fuckin hell, that singer's voice was drilling through my head.

yes, they're truly miserable.

atsonicpark 05.22.2007 08:16 AM

galaxie 500
unwound

what?

great singers.

but yea...

clap your hands say yeah...
the rapture..
almost any of those dancey kinda indie bands that pitchfork loves

pbradley 05.22.2007 08:26 AM

I could never stand Doug Martsch's (Treepeople, Built To Spill) vocals.

atsonicpark 05.22.2007 08:40 AM

pretty much any riot grrl band.
kim gordon.

pbradley 05.22.2007 08:47 AM

Mike Patton

more to the fact that he's so fucking cocky about it, really

sarramkrop 05.22.2007 08:52 AM

What's the deal? The male ones have no testicles and the female ones need to stop gargling while they sing.

LifeDistortion 05.22.2007 09:23 AM

Because being in an indie band is just like being in a punk band, you don't necessairly have to know how to sing, you just got to sound like your ready to commit suicide at any moment.

jimbrim 05.22.2007 09:30 AM

Joanna Newsom's voice on her latest record isnt too bad, and ive gotten used to it due to fact ive been listening to it endlessly for the past two months. I put on her 'milk eyed mender' album for the first time in ages this morning and her voice on it was so cringeworthy i just had to turn it off.

SonicSam 05.22.2007 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
pretty much any riot grrl band.
kim gordon.

not quite. I think bands like bikini kill, sleater kinney, bratmobile etc... have great voices as does Kim gordon. As for unwound, yeah they don't have the best singer in the world. Who cares? The vocals were always mixed pretty low and didn't stop them from being one of the greatest bands ever.

Trasher02 05.22.2007 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
galaxie 500
unwound
sleater kinney

I never thought that the vocals in this band were that awful.

I have to agree with fishmonkey about clap your hands and say yeah.
Terrible band and an even worse singer.
And perhaps not that original but Billy Corgan's voice and Brian Molko's voice are awful!
That's right, BOLD.

sonicl 05.22.2007 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbrim
Joanna Newsom's voice on her latest record isnt too bad, and ive gotten used to it due to fact ive been listening to it endlessly for the past two months. I put on her 'milk eyed mender' album for the first time in ages this morning and her voice on it was so cringeworthy i just had to turn it off.

Have you ever heard Victoria Williams? The similarity between her voice and Joanna Newsom's is pretty uncanny. I'd rather listen to Victoria Williams though.

sarramkrop 05.22.2007 09:55 AM

What about those vocal laments that you hear on songs by bands like Keane, Snow Patrol or Coldplay? You know those moments where they let out a wordless lament, a polite call to arms, the sound of a sensisitive, boring, sexless, spineless human being. What about them?