Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Kim Gordon and Kathleen Hanna (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=42018)

surftherock1 11.02.2010 09:43 AM

Kim Gordon and Kathleen Hanna

I am thrilled that Kim will be doing the Kathleen Hanna benefit show at the Knitting Factory Brooklyn on December 11th. My 15 year old daughter Aziza Akhmatova, lead guitarist of the Awkward Turtles will be sharing the bill for the show You're a huge inspiration to her, we saw you at Williamsburg Music Hall last spring.

tesla69 11.02.2010 09:45 AM

Rah! Rah! Replica a benefit show of Kathleen Hanna covers to be filmed by Sini Anderson for...

The Kathleen Hanna Project a.k.a Who Told You Christmas Wasn't Cool?

Kim Gorden, Kaia Wilson, MEN, Bridget Everett, Care Bears on Fire, Titus Andronicus, She Murders, Toshi Reagon, MKNG FRNDZ, Christy & Emily, Dan Fishback, Anna Copa Cabanna, The Fancy, The Roulettes, Schwervon! + friends, Love Tribe, The Awkward Turtles, Alison Clancy, Mindtroll, video performance by Caroline Polachek (Chairlift), dance performance by Emily Wexler

Sat 12/11
Knitting Factory Brooklyn
Doors: 7:00 pm / Show: 8:00 pm

surftherock1 11.03.2010 08:40 AM

tesla69.... Thanks for posting the details of the show. I hear it's selling out fast....better get your tix

Decayed Rhapsody 12.12.2010 02:26 PM

So I heard Kim read the riot grrrl "manifesto" last night.

Genteel Death 12.12.2010 02:34 PM

Kim Gordon is a talented idiot.

kinn 12.12.2010 02:36 PM

it looks like it was written by swa

kinn 12.12.2010 02:38 PM

riot grrl back then = demand for feminist capital for self centred celeb wannabe soft left careerists in creative industries before the financial crash

riot grrl right now = another dead style to imitate as you stumble around some expensive club using alcohol to fail at fighting your depression

amirite?

Genteel Death 12.12.2010 02:41 PM

She's as influential to women's rights as a piece of shit. Let's get this right, for once.

Genteel Death 12.12.2010 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinn
riot grrl back then = demand for feminist capital for self centred celeb wannabe soft left careerists in creative industries before the financial crash

riot grrl right now = another dead style to imitate as you stumble around some expensive club using alcohol to fail at fighting your depression

amirite?

Yes.

kinn 12.12.2010 02:42 PM

LIKE DON'T TELL ME I LIKE CAN'T DANCE JUST COS I'M A GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111

noones telling you that. noones telling you anything like that. you just wish they were so you could write a song about how oppressed you are deary.

kinn 12.12.2010 02:44 PM

you know just to be fair what i said goes for punk rock and most music and males aswell.

just so we can be clear that they are all idiots and its not just about gender.

thx.

kinn 12.12.2010 02:45 PM

Sisters Are Doin It For Themselvers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111

Genteel Death 12.12.2010 02:51 PM

Do you think she's so punk she will tatoo you your posts on her tits?

Decayed Rhapsody 12.12.2010 02:56 PM

I'm left cold by the actual political influence riot grrrl has had. It's seeing a resurgence because all these academic panels are talking about it in a way disproportionate to its effects. As a gay man a lot of my friends are offended (LOL) by my indifference to riot grrrl. It's become the new punk rock orthodoxy. I liked some of the music that came out of this but uh, I don't know, I recognize the importance of identity politics but that can be tiresome and limiting if it's your ONLY goal as an artist. Especially if you started sucking after one album.

And, sorry, but for all this anti-capitalist talk they spew around, there is BARELY any class-based analysis in any of their zines and writings. It's very second-wave feminist, very binary, constant usage of "boy boy boy" is bad, a very empty assessment of white privilege. Yeah, I have a dick, but I'm queer, does that mean I'm shit too? Or what about female-to-male transpeople? Do I fall into the punk rock boydom of suck that you rail against? It's playing oppression olympics. BORING. But I can forgive a little because they were like 18.

Decayed Rhapsody 12.12.2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinn
you know just to be fair what i said goes for punk rock and most music and males aswell.

just so we can be clear that they are all idiots and its not just about gender.

thx.

Yeah, you're right.

Conclusion: punk is fucking dumb.

Decayed Rhapsody 12.12.2010 03:03 PM

Does anyone have an mp3 of this?

http://www.hootpage.com/hoot_wrestlingandkathleen.html

I REALLY want to like her, I really really want to like her, but I'm too smart and old for this kind of juvenile shit. I wouldn't want to be making some conceptual art piece if I needed to call out a rapist.

Genteel Death 12.12.2010 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decayed Rhapsody
I'm left cold by the actual political influence riot grrrl has had. It's seeing a resurgence because all these academic panels are talking about it in a way disproportionate to its effects. As a gay man a lot of my friends are offended (LOL) by my indifference to riot grrrl. It's become the new punk rock orthodoxy. I liked some of the music that came out of this but uh, I don't know, I recognize the importance of identity politics but that can be tiresome and limiting if it's your ONLY goal as an artist. Especially if you started sucking after one album.

And, sorry, but for all this anti-capitalist talk they spew around, there is BARELY any class-based analysis in any of their zines and writings. It's very second-wave feminist, very binary, constant usage of "boy boy boy" is bad, a very empty assessment of white privilege. Yeah, I have a dick, but I'm queer, does that mean I'm shit too? Or what about female-to-male transpeople? Do I fall into the punk rock boydom of suck that you rail against? It's playing oppression olympics. BORING. But I can forgive a little because they were like 18.

I'm left cold by gay politics and riot grrrl too. Always have and always will be. If you can only fight off offence, it means that you're not really affected by it.

Decayed Rhapsody 12.12.2010 03:14 PM

Word.

I see queer/gender/feminist/whatever liberation in a very traditional leftist way. A conduit for entering larger struggles for social change. Eventually we need to get to a point where identifiers are irrelevant. This is still too radical for some people. I am opposed to exclusionist politics, and that's what riot grrrl ended up becoming. And still is in some ways. It's a very narrow identity politics plagued by GUILT. I have witnessed honest political discourse shut down in "womyn safe spaces" because people were afraid it would be "triggering or offensive." I'm sorry, but how are you going to work out issues with people if you can't have an honest discussion? How are you going to even call out oppressive bullshit if you don't have an honest discussion to bring said bullshit to the surface? People get off on feeling guilty without bothering to fight the SYSTEM or the material reasons that create oppression. It's empty lifestyle politics for undergrads and it's yet another one of the reasons why The Left in America is in a coma.

Genteel Death 12.12.2010 03:29 PM

Quote:

Yeah, you're right.

Conclusion: punk is fucking dumb.

When musicians deal with immediate needs to an ordinary being they are generally dumb, not to mention completely driven by egos. That's why people who have urgent problems don't normally take musicians seriously when it comes to dealing with reality, or at least most aspects of it. It's not because music or musicians should be looked down or dismissed, it's just that on average they mess around with reality and
make it bearable, but in fact have no power to really change reality at all. Influence it, yes, still not the sort of influence that wouldn't exist without music anyway.

Genteel Death 12.12.2010 03:37 PM

Quote:

Word.

I see queer/gender/feminist/whatever liberation in a very traditional leftist way. A conduit for entering larger struggles for social change. Eventually we need to get to a point where identifiers are irrelevant. This is still too radical for some people. I am opposed to exclusionist politics, and that's what riot grrrl ended up becoming. And still is in some ways. It's a very narrow identity politics plagued by GUILT. I have witnessed honest political discourse shut down in "womyn safe spaces" because people were afraid it would be "triggering or offensive." I'm sorry, but how are you going to work out issues with people if you can't have an honest discussion? How are you going to even call out oppressive bullshit if you don't have an honest discussion to bring said bullshit to the surface? People get off on feeling guilty without bothering to fight the SYSTEM or the material reasons that create oppression. It's empty lifestyle politics for undergrads and it's yet another one of the reasons why The Left in America is in a coma.

We're neither women nor gays. We're human beings.