Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Gaining a Deeper Appreciation for a Record (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2197)

dazedcola 05.25.2006 01:35 PM

Gaining a Deeper Appreciation for a Record

I love this phenomenon. When you listen to a cd you might not have gotten before and then you suddenly listen to it again and it sounds great and it all makes sense. I was listening to Generic Flipper last night, and i always thought it was just ok but i guess i never really noticed all the cool noisy stuff in the background, that effect pedal in "way of the world" and that sax solo on "sex bomb". The little subleties have come out to show its an even greater record.

This has also happened with listening to a favorite record over again and finding new things to like about it.

So what albums has this feat happen to you for ?

Some that it has recently for me are:
sonic youth:sister, goo
Meat puppets- too high to die
damned-damned
sonics- sonics
built to spill- you in reverse

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 05.25.2006 01:38 PM

Sonic Youth- Rather Ripped and David Bowie- Low recently.

I think sometimes when you first listen to a record, you have to be in the right mood for that record to click. After it does click, you don't have to be in the mood, because it will get you into it.

luxinterior 05.25.2006 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
I think sometimes when you first listen to a record, you have to be in the right mood for that record to click. After it does click, you don't have to be in the mood, because it will get you into it.

That's just how I was with listening to Nick Cave in general. At first, only a few of his songs appealed to me, and I just wasn't in the mood to enjoy the rest. But you're right, once you are in the right mood at least once, the songs are good forever. I never expected Nick Cave to enter my Top 10 at all, but he's certainly in there now.

Rob Instigator 05.25.2006 03:04 PM

morphine CURE FOR PAIN was like that for me back in 1994.
I listened to it and I was all punk punk punk back then and morphine's glorious "low rock" took a few listens, but HOLY FUCK is is great

as far as sonic youth
i had to give NYCG&F a few listens, same with washing machine

Iain 05.25.2006 05:24 PM

Lately I have been appreciating the first John Spencer Blues Explosion album a hell of a lot. Well, I actually re-evaluated it maybe a year ago or something but have been playing it once again. I probably bought it 8-10 years ago maybe and really didn't like it at all. Now it's pretty much the only JSBX record that I can listen to.

HaydenAsche 05.25.2006 05:26 PM

Let's see.

Animal Collective - Feels
Sonic Youth - Sister
Xiu Xiu - La For?t
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever to Tell
Sufjan Stevens - Year of the Rabbit
Cat Power - Greatest

probably more.

jon boy 05.25.2006 05:27 PM

jsbx did go remarkable downhill didnt they. orange is still good.

johnnywinternoshow 05.25.2006 05:31 PM

mr bungle - disco volante
ben folds 5 - whatever and ever amen
fugazi - the arguement

i always liked all 3 but recently I've found something in them that makes them 100x better, not even sure what it is in any of them but i hear something i didnt before

trance feeeedback 05.25.2006 08:07 PM

whe I first got Sister I did not think it was that great, but when I listened to it a year later it became one of my favorite SY albums, same thing with Ghost's Hypnotic Underworld.

terminal pharmacy 05.25.2006 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnywinternoshow
mr bungle - disco volante
ben folds 5 - whatever and ever amen
fugazi - the arguement

i always liked all 3 but recently I've found something in them that makes them 100x better, not even sure what it is in any of them but i hear something i didnt before

i would come close to say that the argument is one of the best things fugazi have done, it grew on me more than killtaker and steady diet etc

Gulasch Noir 05.26.2006 06:16 AM

now i get worry from jsbx is their best, in my opinion.

kingcoffee 05.26.2006 10:17 PM

Husker Du-Zen Arcade