Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Your Parent's music taste (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3746)

LittlePuppetBoy 07.04.2006 09:20 AM

Your Parent's music taste

What kind of music do your parents listen to?

My dad's a big fan of the Who, Depeche Mode, Talking Heads, the Moody Blues, the B-52's, anything from the 50's, and he is becoming an Arcade Fire fan. he despises rap and hip hop (typical), but he has admitted he like Kanye West

My mom's a big ABBA fan, and she was a Bay City Rollers fan in her youth (legend has it she named me after one of the members), she also likes the Red Hot Chili Peppers. However, she hates most of the mainstream music of the 80's

both of my folks have a real liking for Coldplay (typical), U2 (even more typical) and REM

Pookie 07.04.2006 09:26 AM

My parents never really listened to music. My Mum was an Elvis fan, but preferred his films.

My Dad liked The Ink Spots & The Bachelors & not much else.

But music was rarely played in my house, occassionally the radio would be on.

I don't know how I ended up so into music really.

Tokolosh 07.04.2006 09:42 AM

60's stuff.

sonic sphere 07.04.2006 09:46 AM

my old man likes instrumental guitar stuff from the 50's and 60's and the mamas and the papas.
my ould one likes roy orbison and buddy holly

fishmonkey 07.04.2006 10:20 AM

my dad is a beatles maniac. how predictable.

although he does have a weakness for Alice in Chains.

lizzarddd 07.04.2006 10:29 AM

my dad likes...everything from the 60's... ++ sheryl crow.
my mom likes...polish pop music

johnnywinternoshow 07.04.2006 11:17 AM

dad : lesley garrett, phil coulter, shirley bassey, glenn miller, joseph locke, pavarotti, pan pipes, "classical music" with a repetative beat behind it so he can seem hip

mum : eagles, meat loaf, queen, rod stewart, t-rex, irish showbands, linda ronstadt

can't say i like any of that stuff

Daycare Nation 07.04.2006 11:24 AM

when I was growing up:

father:

Ian and Sylvia, Johnny Cash, Elvis, Waylon Jennings, Hank Williams, Peter Paul and Mary, John Denver

...they were both really into Jesus Christ Superstar and Christian folk music.

mom:

Ian and Sylvia, Peter Paul and Mary, John Denver, Kenny Rogers
...lately she likes Sufjan Stevens because I introduced her to him

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 07.04.2006 11:26 AM

My parents are young (being in highschool durig the 80's) so they listen to a lot of metal and rock, my mom likes that rap shit. My dad's a priest fan.

The 97th Hammer 07.04.2006 11:26 AM

My dad likes the Kinks, my mom likes Neil Young, so nothing embarrasing there.

Alex's Trip 07.04.2006 11:30 AM

My dad likes a lot of things. Led Zeppelin, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, the Beatles, RHCP, Things like that. He also likes some crappy stuff. Green day, U2.

My Mom isn't really a music fan, but she likes Madonna, Prince and Kelly Clarkson the most.

RockerNino 07.04.2006 11:41 AM

my dad...kroq in the 80s and 90s.

my mom......yea....music...

Everyneurotic 07.04.2006 11:59 AM

my mom was into the doors, queen, creedence, sabbath, deep purple, zeppelin.

now she's into belle & sebastian, radiohead, sonic youth, pavement, dinosaur jr, sufjan, black flag, flaming lips, dead kennedys...hell, she even digs mayhem and morbid angel a little!!

gmku 07.04.2006 12:15 PM

My mom's listening to heavenly harps. She's dead.

My dad, 75 years old, likes Henry Mancini and big band swing jazz. when I was a kid, he had a tough time when I was into the Beatles and the Stones. He still winces noticeably when my brother and I get into discussions about Sonic Youth and indie rock.

MichiganNOise 07.04.2006 12:23 PM

my dad got me into a bunch of cool shit in the mid ninties when i was a teen....the smashing pumpkins...the smiths....depeche mode....ultravox....roxy music....beatles...who...rush....lemonheads....bel ly....sundays....

LittlePuppetBoy 07.04.2006 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
my mom was into the doors, queen, creedence, sabbath, deep purple, zeppelin.

now she's into belle & sebastian, radiohead, sonic youth, pavement, dinosaur jr, sufjan, black flag, flaming lips, dead kennedys...hell, she even digs mayhem and morbid angel a little!!

holy shit. you're mom is cool

I'm planning on showing my dad some sy sometime. I've shown him Pavement and Velvet Underground, which he liked.

I forgot to mention my dad's a pretty big Doors fan.

acousticrock87 07.04.2006 12:45 PM

My dad: Beatles, Allman Brothers, CSNY, The Doors, Jethro Tull, Sheryl Crow, that kind of stuff, but he always listened to music a lot so he's familiar with pretty much every band in existance from the 60's and 70's. He's pretty open to most music unless it's Styx, Queen, or has a screaming vocalist. More recent stuff that he likes is like Jewel and RHCP.

My mom is always listening to Josh Groban or Michael W. Smith or something like that. Quite boring, but it could be worse.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 07.04.2006 12:48 PM

On a side note:
When My dad braught me to sonic youth, the Magik Markers were opening and as we entered they were playing. He hated it a lot. He hates noise in general, not because of the sounds [he hates that too] but because how he says anyone could do noise music. It's fun discussing it with him, he gets mad frequently.

BarbecueSmell 07.04.2006 12:49 PM

My dad loves Sonic Youth.

LifeDistortion 07.04.2006 12:50 PM

Mother was from the 60's so: Beatles, Moody Blues, Early Elton John, Oh and get this. My mom saw David Bowie as Ziggy Stardust in concert when he first came to the U.S.