Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What gigs are you going to in the coming months? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=6735)

Kuhb 01.21.2017 03:57 AM

Just saw Dinosaur Jr in a pub that was way too small for J's three huge stacks. Was the best thing ever

greenlight 01.27.2017 07:16 AM

hey, just got 2 tick. for Interpol in Prague playing their Turn On The Bright Lights in full. my guilty pleassure. is that the right expression for it in English? that was one and only album by them I loved. I would listened to it over and over back then.

Severian 01.27.2017 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenlight
hey, just got 2 tick. for Interpol in Prague playing their Turn On The Bright Lights in full. my guilty pleassure. is that the right expression for it in English? that was one and only album by them I loved. I would listened to it over and over back then.

"Guilty pleasure" would definitely apply to most Interpol, since they have been embarrassingly bad since 2003. But Turn on the Bright Lights speficially is more of a nostalgic pleasure. That was a genuinely good album. Not the best album of 2002 for fuck's sake, but good nonetheless.

I listened to it a lot in 2002 also. I remember thinking the climax of "PDA" was, like, everything I loved about music at the time. I was more taken by Trail of Dead that year — before THEY turned into an embarrassing shit-show — because Source Tags & Codes sounded almost like Daydream Nation-era Sonic Youth at times. Not so much that it felt like an overt ripoff (Interpol kinda did sound like an overt ripoff of Joy Division and several other bands), but enough that it psyched me up.

Too bad both bands turned out to be ... awful... after hype and fame hit. Like, really bad. Worse than Modest Mouse version 2.0.

greenlight 01.27.2017 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
"Guilty pleasure" would definitely apply to most Interpol, since they have been embarrassingly bad since 2003. But Turn on the Bright Lights speficially is more of a nostalgic pleasure. That was a genuinely good album. Not the best album of 2002 for fuck's sake, but good nonetheless.

I listened to it a lot in 2002 also. I remember thinking the climax of "PDA" was, like, everything I loved about music at the time. I was more taken by Trail of Dead that year — before THEY turned into an embarrassing shit-show — because Source Tags & Codes sounded almost like Daydream Nation-era Sonic Youth at times. Not so much that it felt like an overt ripoff (Interpol kinda did sound like an overt ripoff of Joy Division and several other bands), but enough that it psyched me up.

Too bad both bands turned out to be ... awful... after hype and fame hit. Like, really bad. Worse than Modest Mouse version 2.0.

nicely said. fuck, I forgot about Another Morning Stoner. one of my hymns of 2002. yeah they turned into something awful later.

Severian 01.27.2017 06:28 PM

Quote:

nicely said. fuck, I forgot about Another Morning Stoner. one of my hymns of 2002. yeah they turned into something awful later.

How about "How Near, How Far?" That was my jam. I think that was my favorite song of that year actually. God they had the fire ... and they were great live too. Then they turned into some wussy ripoff of SDRE and, somehow, Smashing Pumpkins ... only with more pomp. Yuck.

That album was good though. So neither Turn on the Bright Lights not Source Tags and Codes counts as a guilty pleasure. If you enjoy anything else by those bands, then that probably counts. ;)

Blood_Promise 01.31.2017 09:28 AM

Swans. The last time, or so they say.

_tunic_ 01.31.2017 01:14 PM

Both Bettie Serveert and Magnapop are touring the Netherlands next month (not together though). So I will go see them most probably. Haven't decided when or where yet.
Will be a nice flashback to the early nineties especially the terrific Magnapop that I saw like four times in one week many many years ago in 1991 or 1992.

stu666 02.22.2017 04:55 PM

October 15th - The Art Ensemble Of Chicago, Cafe OTO

https://www.cafeoto.co.uk/events/aeoc-day-one/

Bertrand 02.22.2017 05:58 PM

Thee Oh Sees come to town!
Rennes, 19th may

greenlight 03.13.2017 09:33 AM

Sarah Davachi is coming to Vienna. thinking to go.

Blood_Promise 03.13.2017 12:50 PM

moving to London next month, planning to see Marc Ribot, Those Poor Bastards, and perhaps, if I can find someone selling their tickets - Bill Callahan. well and Nick Cave on September. hope all the music will somehow soothe my negative attitude towards London.

greenlight 03.13.2017 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blood_Promise
moving to London next month, planning to see Marc Ribot, Those Poor Bastards, and perhaps, if I can find someone selling their tickets - Bill Callahan. well and Nick Cave on September. hope all the music will somehow soothe my negative attitude towards London.

negaitive attitude towards London. i have it same with London. do not know why. cool place for a happenings tho.

ilduclo 03.13.2017 05:40 PM

Ribot solo? Should be good. He's going to do some duets w/David Hidalgo (from Los Lobos) in Japan, those should be fantastic. Ribot loves Hispanic music!

Blood_Promise 03.15.2017 12:31 PM

Quote:

negaitive attitude towards London. i have it same with London. do not know why. cool place for a happenings tho.

I lived in Berlin for a while and well... London pales in comparison. It is so tense. Perhaps I need to spend more then a few weeks to get used to it, but now this Brexit thing is really worrisome.

I almost forgot: seeing Swans this Friday, Little Annie is opening!

greenlight 03.15.2017 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blood_Promise
I lived in Berlin for a while and well... London pales in comparison. It is so tense. Perhaps I need to spend more then a few weeks to get used to it, but now this Brexit thing is really worrisome.

I almost forgot: seeing Swans this Friday, Little Annie is opening!

I preffered Paris over London somehow. do not know how about now.

Swans played just around the corner yesterday (2 hrs drive) and Little Annie was opening as well. did not go. seen them last summer.

Wolf Eyes are coming to town tho!

_tunic_ 03.23.2017 02:18 PM

Friday: Flying Horseman
Saturday: Bettie Serveert

and much later:
24/5 Terry Riley, with support: Lubomyr Melnyk
and also in May: Esmerine in a chapel (if I can find out how to get tickets for it..)

ilduclo 03.23.2017 03:37 PM

Mt Eerie/Lori Goldston

_slavo_ 03.24.2017 09:18 AM

Black Heart Procession and Wolf Eyes, hopefully, next week

betweenthebars 03.24.2017 07:04 PM

Meat Puppets w/ Mike Watt and Grant Hart

latorami 04.01.2017 10:24 AM

im going to see:
ELVIS DEPRESSEDLY + TV GIRL + MYSTERY LANGUAGE all the same day for FREE!!! im really hyped. Plus it's in ten days (11th of april) so yeah cool